31 other teams, lets discuss the draft

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
No matter how good Suh may or may not turn out to be, francise DTs do not win Super Bowls.

Francise QBs win Super Bowls.

The Rams QB situation (Bulger, who'll be cut, Boller, etc) is garbage.

If I'm the Rams, I draft Clausen.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I would like to place a bet with anyone who thinks Suh is going to be a flop in the NFL like Jimmy Kennedy. Please put your money where your mouth is and let's bet. I say Suh will instantly be an impact player in the NFL barring an injury.

I am willing to negotiate a single judge or a panel to determine who pays off the bets. Every bit of this is negotiable, but first we talk money.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ArmyCowboy;3272210 said:
No matter how good Suh may or may not turn out to be, francise DTs do not win Super Bowls.

Bob Lilly, Joe Greene, Howie Long, and Randy White all disagree with you.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I bet Detroit is liking their situation right now. They have their QB and there are three or more guys at the top that would help them a lot (of course almost anyone would help them right now). They can take Suh or trade down slightly for Okung or McCoy if he slips ad get another pick. Not bad.

Speaking of Detroit, when do we go on ot the next team? :)

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Hostile;3272245 said:

The Rams coach is a former defensive coordinator. He will be very tempted to take Suh. Suh will be an impact player from Day One and make guys like Chris Long and Adam Carriker look better.

I also think the Rams, with the first pick in the 2nd round, will be in a very good position to draft a QB (Colt McCoy, Tony Pike) and not have to pay him a ridiculous contract. Plus, there's a lot of talk recently about the Rams wanting to acquire Vick.

The Realist

Reaction score
ArmyCowboy;3272210 said:

Hostile;3272245 said:

Did that really just happen?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Muhast;3272161 said:
B/c they have wasted 4 straight years of high draft picks. They have to eventually take a chance on a QB. Look at my last post about the Player they chose over players like: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, Kevin Kolb, Jay Cutler, Brady Quinn, Josh Freeman. All of those would be much better then the situation they are stuck in now.

If they had been smart any of the last 4 drafts, they would have had a QB to build around and could take Suh. But they havn't been. I just don't think they can afford to not take one for a 5th straight year. Take Bradford, take Clausen. If you miss, you miss. But you have to at least address it, especially when you have addressed Dline early and often 3 straight drafts.

I am not in favor of taking a QB with the 1st pick in the draft if your board says that there are no QBs who are worthy of the grade. That's just not smart. This, IMO, is not a great QB class. I think there are a few who are good prospects but if the Rams don't believe there is a QB worthy of this, then you can't just pass on a guy you may feel is a once in a generation player.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Muhast;3272077 said:
So if you were the Rams GM you would sign off on taking a DT in the first round for the 2nd time in 3 years?

If I could not make a trade, then I would take the highest rated player on my board. Yes, I would do that.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3272333 said:
I am not in favor of taking a QB with the 1st pick in the draft if your board says that there are no QBs who are worthy of the grade. That's just not smart. This, IMO, is not a great QB class. I think there are a few who are good prospects but if the Rams don't believe there is a QB worthy of this, then you can't just pass on a guy you may feel is a once in a generation player.

I agree this isn't a strong QB class, but Qb classes aren't strong very often. There are usually 2 good prospects and then everyone else. They have passed on SEVERAL good QB prospects already.

They already missed on: Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb. They could have easily had ANY of those players.

You can't keep passing on QB's and hoping eventually a top QB falls into your lap. Eventually you have to take a chance on one.

And even if he's the highest rated player on your board, you JUST TOOK A DT 2 years ago in the first round.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Hostile;3272245 said:

Every DT you named played with a HOF Qb.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
How come no one is taking me up on my offer of a bet about Suh?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
2nd round QB's suck.

This year is no different. Pike and Mccoy have pea shooters.

Im intruiged by Lefevour though.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Muhast;3272361 said:
I agree this isn't a strong QB class, but Qb classes aren't strong very often. There are usually 2 good prospects and then everyone else. They have passed on SEVERAL good QB prospects already.

They already missed on: Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb. They could have easily had ANY of those players.

You can't keep passing on QB's and hoping eventually a top QB falls into your lap. Eventually you have to take a chance on one.

And even if he's the highest rated player on your board, you JUST TOOK A DT 2 years ago in the first round.

I'm not saying that I would have passed on all of those QBs. I'm saying that if my board said that Suh was the best player in this draft, now ifs ands or buts, then I'd take him and not look back.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
Muhast;3272157 said:
In 2006 they traded their first rounder and Denver selected Cutler.
In 2007 they go DT missed out on Brady Quinn and Kevin Kolb
In 2008 they go DE and miss out on Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco
In 2009 they go OT and miss out on Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman.

"After the 2006 season, Bulger was selected as a reserve the Pro Bowl, after recording an NFL-best eight games with a quarterback passing rating of more than 100. It marked the second time that he was voted to the NFL's version of an "All-Star" game.

On September 10, 2006, in a game against the Denver Broncos, Bulger reached 1,000 completions faster than any quarterback in NFL history. Bulger achieved this in 45 games, two games less than ex-Rams QB Kurt Warner. Drew Bledsoe and Peyton Manning needed 48 games, and it took Dan Marino 49.[1]

On July 28, 2007, Bulger signed a six-year, $62.5 million contract extension with the Rams."

So in 2006 your QB makes the Pro Bowl and you should be looking for a QB???

dmoore

Reaction score
L-O-Jete;3272434 said:
"After the 2006 season, Bulger was selected as a reserve the Pro Bowl, after recording an NFL-best eight games with a quarterback passing rating of more than 100. It marked the second time that he was voted to the NFL's version of an "All-Star" game.

On September 10, 2006, in a game against the Denver Broncos, Bulger reached 1,000 completions faster than any quarterback in NFL history. Bulger achieved this in 45 games, two games less than ex-Rams QB Kurt Warner. Drew Bledsoe and Peyton Manning needed 48 games, and it took Dan Marino 49.[1]

On July 28, 2007, Bulger signed a six-year, $62.5 million contract extension with the Rams."

Nailed it. They hadn't been ignoring the position. It hasn't always been as bad as it was last year.

They have to go Suh. I've never seen a D-Lineman as dominant as Suh. DLine isn't their weakest spot on the field, but adding Suh could make it into a real strength. They need to do more than just patch holes, they need a unit that can impact a game and we've seen with the Giants just how big a weapon a deep and talented d-line can be.

I like the QB class more than most. I think Clausen's floor is very high, and looks like he should be a starter in the league for a long time. He played in a pro offense and improved by leaps and bounds every year. He might not ever be an all-pro, but he looks like a guy that if you give him toys to play with he'll be successful.

Still, they have to grab Suh and take a QB in round 2. Actually, they should see if they could grab Kolb for that 2nd. That's probably a good deal for both teams.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
L-O-Jete;3272434 said:

No but after he struggled with injuries all of 07, got benched at one point in 08, they should have addressed it. He had one good year in his entire career, and that was 06.Last year he sat on IR the whole season, and he'll be 33 this year, coming off 3 straight injury plagued seasons. You simply must address it now. Look at the QB's in 08 and 09 that they missed out on. They'd be better off with any of those guys over what they have now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Muhast;3272365 said:
Every DT you named played with a HOF Qb.

Lilly was drafted in 61. Norm Snead was the only QB taken in the 1st round, by the Skinz in 61. The next QB taken was Fran Tarkenton in the 3rd.

Joe Greene was taken in 69. The only QBs taken in the 1st that year were Greg Cook Cincy and Marty Domres Chargers. There was literally not a QB taken in 17 rounds of that draft that was a good QB.

Randy White was drafted in 1975. The first pick in that draft was Steve Bartkowski, a good QB but not a HOF player. Steve Grogan was taken in the 5th Rd and Pat Hayden in the 7th. Both good QBs but not great.

Howie Long was drafted in 81. The QBs taken in round 1 in that year were Rich Campbell Packers and Dave Wilson Supplemental to the Saints. Neil Lomas was taken in the 2nd by the Cards. Wade Wilson was drafted by the Vikes in the 8th. No other QBs of significance were drafted. Had any of those teams passed on any of these HOF DTs, they would have taken a QB over the players named, they would have drafted a very inferior player and missed on a HOF franchise player. This is probably best reason you can give as to why you take the player on your board you feel is the best available.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I do not think the Rams should take a QB at #1. I do not think the Rams should select a DT at #1 either. I do not think Suh will be a bust, however I do not think his impact on the Rams defense warrants #1 overall and the contract that comes with it.

I guess for me it boils down to the fact that the Rams scored 175 points all year, started Danny Amendola (persecuted Roy Williams would have been their leading WR with 2nd in receptions, 1st in yards, 1st in TDs) and the only person that threw more TDs than INTs was their kicker. Their offense is in shambles outside of a wearing down Jackson, they have thrown picks at defense for years and very few teams without a viable QB option will succeed. You don't give up so many points while scoring so few and not have needs across the board.

With that out of the way, IMO, they are better off trading down with a team like the 49ers for peanuts (I'll use the 2nd I mentioned earlier as an example). At 13, they may still have a shot at Bradford/Clausen and 2 selections at the top of 2. Those picks are value selections. If they drafted Bradford at 13, they could grab Gresham in 2; if they drafted Clausen they could package the picks and grab Tate. This would allow the young QBs to get acclimated to the NFL with players they are already familiar with. Please note, I am suggesting this is their course of action only that in moving down, even for little compensation, they have more flexibility in the draft.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3272465 said:
Lilly was drafted in 61. Norm Snead was the only QB taken in the 1st round, by the Skinz in 61. The next QB taken was Fran Tarkenton in the 3rd.

Joe Greene was taken in 69. The only QBs taken in the 1st that year were Greg Cook Cincy and Marty Domres Chargers. There was literally not a QB taken in 17 rounds of that draft that was a good QB.

Randy White was drafted in 1975. The first pick in that draft was Steve Bartkowski, a good QB but not a HOF player. Steve Grogan was taken in the 5th Rd and Pat Hayden in the 7th. Both good QBs but not great.

Howie Long was drafted in 81. The QBs taken in round 1 in that year were Rich Campbell Packers and Dave Wilson Supplemental to the Saints. Neil Lomas was taken in the 2nd by the Cards. Wade Wilson was drafted by the Vikes in the 8th. No other QBs of significance were drafted. Had any of those teams passed on any of these HOF DTs, they would have taken a QB over the players named, they would have drafted a very inferior player and missed on a HOF franchise player. This is probably best reason you can give as to why you take the player on your board you feel is the best available.

To be fair, I said every one of those DT played with a HOF Qb. I didn't say anything about the years they were drafted. :)

Bulger has played 7 seasons, and has played just one full year. He has also only had one really good year. He'll be 33 entering this season and has been injured 3 straight years. Whether they go in the first or second they have to address it.

I don't want to sound like I'm against Suh. I think he was incredible in college, I just don't think a DT is ever worthy of going #1 overall. They aren't on the field enough to be a true difference maker. I'd take Eric Berry before Suh. I think a dynamic FS who can make plays is much more important then a DT (especially if you just drafted one a few years ago in the first round)