31 other teams, lets discuss the draft

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Muhast;3272470 said:
To be fair, I said every one of those DT played with a HOF Qb. I didn't say anything about the years they were drafted. :)

Bulger has played 7 seasons, and has played just one full year. He has also only had one really good year. He'll be 33 entering this season and has been injured 3 straight years. Whether they go in the first or second they have to address it.

I don't want to sound like I'm against Suh. I think he was incredible in college, I just don't think a DT is ever worthy of going #1 overall. They aren't on the field enough to be a true difference maker. I'd take Eric Berry before Suh. I think a dynamic FS who can make plays is much more important then a DT (especially if you just drafted one a few years ago in the first round)

I know that you didn't say the year each were drafted but I wanted to illustrate to you the point that sometimes, QB is not the best pick in a given draft. I don't know if Suh is who they should draft. If he is the best player on their board, then they should take him. If it's another player, then they should take that player.

They shouldn't pass on a good player simply because they need a QB, especially this year. I just don't see the real value at QB as in some years past.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
Muhast;3272463 said:
No but after he struggled with injuries all of 07, got benched at one point in 08, they should have addressed it. He had one good year in his entire career, and that was 06.Last year he sat on IR the whole season, and he'll be 33 this year, coming off 3 straight injury plagued seasons. You simply must address it now. Look at the QB's in 08 and 09 that they missed out on. They'd be better off with any of those guys over what they have now.

Should they consider a QB in this draft? I'm certain they are with one of their top choices.
Should they have done so last year? Sanchez and Freeman were considered reaches at their spots and so far neither looks like a franchise QB. Who else was there? Pat White 2nd round, McGhee, Bomar, Davis?????
Should they have 2 years ago with their QB coming of injury? Everyone thought the main problem was his protection NOT Bulger.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I think Suh is worthy of #1. I just don't think it makes sense for the Rams with all the needs they have and the ability to move down.

jay cee

Reaction score
Muhast;3271400 said:
This is just like when Atlanta had the 3rd pick overall and had to choose between Glen Dorsey(who was a "sure thing") and Matt Ryan.

You have to take a chance on a QB here. You can't settle for a DT with the first pick overall. You just can't.

I don't think so Muhast. I don't follow college football that closely, but I just knew the Texans were screwing up by taking David Carr over Julius Peppers.

I know at the time they were going to play the 3-4 defense, so IMO, they should have traded down and picked up extra picks.

jay cee

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;3272467 said:
I do not think the Rams should take a QB at #1. I do not think the Rams should select a DT at #1 either. I do not think Suh will be a bust, however I do not think his impact on the Rams defense warrants #1 overall and the contract that comes with it.

I guess for me it boils down to the fact that the Rams scored 175 points all year, started Danny Amendola (persecuted Roy Williams would have been their leading WR with 2nd in receptions, 1st in yards, 1st in TDs) and the only person that threw more TDs than INTs was their kicker. Their offense is in shambles outside of a wearing down Jackson, they have thrown picks at defense for years and very few teams without a viable QB option will succeed. You don't give up so many points while scoring so few and not have needs across the board.

With that out of the way, IMO, they are better off trading down with a team like the 49ers for peanuts (I'll use the 2nd I mentioned earlier as an example). At 13, they may still have a shot at Bradford/Clausen and 2 selections at the top of 2. Those picks are value selections. If they drafted Bradford at 13, they could grab Gresham in 2; if they drafted Clausen they could package the picks and grab Tate. This would allow the young QBs to get acclimated to the NFL with players they are already familiar with. Please note, I am suggesting this is their course of action only that in moving down, even for little compensation, they have more flexibility in the draft.

That seems to be a lot better than using the top pick on one of these qb's.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Here's some trivia on #1 overall picks:
Since 1998 all top picks have either been QBs, LTs, or DEs....those are usually considered the players that have the most upside value and overall team impact to warrant a #1 overall pick.

Seeing that the Rams already have their young LT (Jason Smith) and DE (Chris Long), then QB seems logical. The big issue is if there really is a QB out there this year that deserves that #1 slot. We'll know more after the combine. But if Bradford or Clausen really stand out, I do think they'll go with one them.

The next option would be to either trade down or take Suh--both being very good options.

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3272465 said:
Lilly was drafted in 61. Norm Snead was the only QB taken in the 1st round, by the Skinz in 61. The next QB taken was Fran Tarkenton in the 3rd.

Joe Greene was taken in 69. The only QBs taken in the 1st that year were Greg Cook Cincy and Marty Domres Chargers. There was literally not a QB taken in 17 rounds of that draft that was a good QB.

Randy White was drafted in 1975. The first pick in that draft was Steve Bartkowski, a good QB but not a HOF player. Steve Grogan was taken in the 5th Rd and Pat Hayden in the 7th. Both good QBs but not great.

Howie Long was drafted in 81. The QBs taken in round 1 in that year were Rich Campbell Packers and Dave Wilson Supplemental to the Saints. Neil Lomas was taken in the 2nd by the Cards. Wade Wilson was drafted by the Vikes in the 8th. No other QBs of significance were drafted. Had any of those teams passed on any of these HOF DTs, they would have taken a QB over the players named, they would have drafted a very inferior player and missed on a HOF franchise player. This is probably best reason you can give as to why you take the player on your board you feel is the best available.

When we drafted Lily, we laready had a young Don Merideth on the roster. Furthermore, when we drafted Randy White, we already had Roger Staubach. There was no need to even look at QB.

As for Green, the Steelers drafted Bradshaw #1 overall the following season. So, Joe Greene as a rookie "led" the Steelers to the worst overall record in the NFL.

As for Howie Long, #1 he played DE not DT and secondly the Raiders had Plunkett, who later led them to a Super Bowl.

Therefore, this analagy is extremely flawed, as the Rams certainly don't have a real NFL QB on the roster.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ArmyCowboy;3273579 said:
When we drafted Lily, we laready had a young Don Merideth on the roster. Furthermore, when we drafted Randy White, we already had Roger Staubach. There was no need to even look at QB.

As for Green, the Steelers drafted Bradshaw #1 overall the following season. So, Joe Greene as a rookie "led" the Steelers to the worst overall record in the NFL.

As for Howie Long, #1 he played DE not DT and secondly the Raiders had Plunkett, who later led them to a Super Bowl.

Therefore, this analagy is extremely flawed, as the Rams certainly don't have a real NFL QB on the roster.

I know that you didn't say the year each were drafted but I wanted to illustrate to you the point that sometimes, QB is not the best pick in a given draft. I don't know if Suh is who they should draft. If he is the best player on their board, then they should take him. If it's another player, then they should take that player.

They shouldn't pass on a good player simply because they need a QB, especially this year. I just don't see the real value at QB as in some years past.

Keep Reading.