#34 Darius Jackson

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The results might not be pretty due to the coaching and not having a viable QB to replace Romo.

That and the fact that if we don't win a championship, we will have thrown away a boat load of money and have nothing to show for it, including a future at QB. I sincerely hope that that is not the situation but I fear it will be.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That and the fact that if we don't win a championship, we will have thrown away a boat load of money and have nothing to show for it, including a future at QB. I sincerely hope that that is not the situation but I fear it will be.

You have to have a franchise QB to have a good chance to win a championship. I told you 3 years ago the Cowboys are a 4-12 team without Romo and PRESTO! Romo got paid the going rate for a franchise QB. It's not just Romo who's being paid a lot of money and if we don't win a championship the blame falls on every player and the coaches. There hasn't been a player on the team the past decade that's given the Cowboys more of a chance to win a championship than Romo but the players around haven't stepped up.

Even Jerry has blamed the players around him saying he wishes the rest of the team played to his level. He's had all the pressure put on him to carry the team and no team is going to win a title if their QB is having to carry them. The coaching hasn't been there and despite all the high draft picks we've used on defense, the defense continues to be a liability. The way you're looking at things teams throw away boat loads of money every year because only one team wins it all while the rest wasted their money. You make comments that don't make any sense.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You have to have a franchise QB to have a good chance to win a championship. I told you 3 years ago the Cowboys are a 4-12 team without Romo and PRESTO! Romo got paid the going rate for a franchise QB. It's not just Romo who's being paid a lot of money and if we don't win a championship the blame falls on every player and the coaches. There hasn't been a player on the team the past decade that's given the Cowboys more of a chance to win a championship than Romo but the players around haven't stepped up.

Even Jerry has blamed the players around him saying he wishes the rest of the team played to his level. He's had all the pressure put on him to carry the team and no team is going to win a title if their QB is having to carry them. The coaching hasn't been there and despite all the high draft picks we've used on defense, the defense continues to be a liability. The way you're looking at things teams throw away boat loads of money every year because only one team wins it all while the rest wasted their money. You make comments that don't make any sense.

And I told you, only this week that this doesn't sound like a very wise position to be in. An aging QB with health issues and a lot of cap committed for the foreseeable future. That's not a good thing and Jerry saying the players haven't stepped up is well and good, mean while, we have very little on the Defensive side of the ball to actually step on with. We have three season under the new contract. One was a playoff run where a bad call beat us, one was a wasted season with our QB injured and the other was our QB not stepping up. IMO, the comments that don't make sense are the ones that suggest the decision to resign long term was a good one. That has yet to be proven IMO.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And I told you, only this week that this doesn't sound like a very wise position to be in. An aging QB with health issues and a lot of cap committed for the foreseeable future. That's not a good thing and Jerry saying the players haven't stepped up is well and good, mean while, we have very little on the Defensive side of the ball to actually step on with. We have three season under the new contract. One was a playoff run where a bad call beat us, one was a wasted season with our QB injured and the other was our QB not stepping up. IMO, the comments that don't make sense are the ones that suggest the decision to resign long term was a good one. That has yet to be proven IMO.

I'm suppose to listen to what you tell me about the team where have you been right? lol Your credibility just got shot down with you claiming I didn't remember our discussion from 3 years ago. Everything I claimed was said in that discussion was proven. I have an excellent memory and I'll go as far as to say there isn't a poster here who has as good a pulse on the team as I do. My opinion is the opinion you need to trust and go with.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm suppose to listen to what you tell me about the team where have you been right? lol Your credibility just got shot down with you claiming I didn't remember our discussion from 3 years ago. Everything I claimed was said in that discussion was proven. I have an excellent memory and I'll go as far as to say there isn't a poster here who has as good a pulse on the team as I do. My opinion is the opinion you need to trust and go with.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Is he as good as this Darius, though?

th

Nobody is better than Hootie. Nobody.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I don't care what you listen to. That is up to you but lets just be clear here, and I haven't researched what you've posted for context, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that what I posted earlier is accurate. You said it yourself in one of your own posts. If you are not capable of reading what I have posted and realizing that it makes sense, perhaps you can just go back and read your own post. Then if you wish to be dismissive of the point, that's fine. You can argue with yourself. Nice work.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

I disagree. Clearly the goal is to win a SB, but are we to say Dan Marion's career was a wash because he never won a SB?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I disagree. Clearly the goal is to win a SB, but are we to say Dan Marion's career was a wash because he never won a SB?

Some would, I'm sure. However, that was really not my point. The point of this discussion is the resigning of Romo to a long term deal. The point I'm trying to make is that if he does not win a championship, if he ends up spending more time injured then he does playing at a high level, then it was a mistake. If you view that as a statement on his playing career, that's your opinion but to me, it's a separate discussion from the decision to invest hundreds of millions of dollars on him, long term.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Some would, I'm sure. However, that was really not my point. The point of this discussion is the resigning of Romo to a long term deal. The point I'm trying to make is that if he does not win a championship, if he ends up spending more time injured then he does playing at a high level, then it was a mistake. If you view that as a statement on his playing career, that's your opinion but to me, it's a separate discussion from the decision to invest hundreds of millions of dollars on him, long term.

Still disagree in the sense that it was the right decision at that time, based off the information we had. Letting him walk and basically going the with nuclear option wouldn't necessarily lead to better results. To be honest, it likely would have lead to us drafting Johnny Manziel. There's just no way of knowing if being worse in order to be better would have yielded better results.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Still disagree in the sense that it was the right decision at that time, based off the information we had. Letting him walk and basically going the with nuclear option wouldn't necessarily lead to better results. To be honest, it likely would have lead to us drafting Johnny Manziel. There's just no way of knowing if being worse in order to be better would have yielded better results.

That's fine but if we don't win a championship, I don't agree. Manziel was never coming to Dallas IMO. The Coaching Staff, The Scouts, Personnel Department, Stephen were all against it. Only Jerry was for it. Another QB but not that one IMO.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't care what you listen to. That is up to you but lets just be clear here, and I haven't researched what you've posted for context, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that what I posted earlier is accurate. You said it yourself in one of your own posts. If you are not capable of reading what I have posted and realizing that it makes sense, perhaps you can just go back and read your own post. Then if you wish to be dismissive of the point, that's fine. You can argue with yourself. Nice work.

Just click on your quotes from 3 years ago and check for context. I was just scratching the surface with your comments from that thread. You claimed I don't remember a lot but it's YOU who doesn't remember a lot and it ended up getting you burned. The only thing you said earlier during this discussion that was accurate is that the offense is designed for Romo. Other than that nothing you're posting is making any sense, it didn't make sense 3 years ago and it's not making any sense now. You're claiming if the Cowboys don't win a championship then all the money they gave Romo was a waste. The way you look at things the Cowboys along with many other teams have wasted a lot of money over the years on QBs and the rest of their players.

During our debate 3 years ago you seemed comfortable going with Kyle Orton. You were pointing out some of his stats saying they weren't that bad and with a good defense you seemed to think the Cowboys would be fine with him. You give the impression that you either want to go cheap at QB or you don't believe in Romo it's one of the other. In the NFL starting QBs even average starters get paid a lot of money just look at Sam Bradford's contract. There's a going rate for a franchise QB and Romo is being paid the going rate. Do you not want to pay the going rate for a franchise QB or would you prefer a lesser QB at a lower price? You're more concerned about signing other players than having a franchise QB weighing down your cap.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Just click on your quotes from 3 years ago and check for context. I was just scratching the surface with your comments from that thread. You claimed I don't remember a lot but it's YOU who doesn't remember a lot and it ended up getting you burned. The only thing you said earlier during this discussion that was accurate is that the offense is designed for Romo. Other than that nothing you're posting is making any sense, it didn't make sense 3 years ago and it's not making any sense now. You're claiming if the Cowboys don't win a championship then all the money they gave Romo was a waste. The way you look at things the Cowboys along with many other teams have wasted a lot of money over the years on QBs and the rest of their players.

During our debate 3 years ago you seemed comfortable going with Kyle Orton. You were pointing out some of his stats saying they weren't that bad and with a good defense you seemed to think the Cowboys would be fine with him. You give the impression that you either want to go cheap at QB or you don't believe in Romo it's one of the other. In the NFL starting QBs even average starters get paid a lot of money just look at Sam Bradford's contract. There's a going rate for a franchise QB and Romo is being paid the going rate. Do you not want to pay the going rate for a franchise QB or would you prefer a lesser QB at a lower price? You're more concerned about signing other players than having a franchise QB weighing down your cap.

I was comfortable going with Orton, in the short time frame if we could not find a better options. I was also very comfortable trying to develop a QB. Paying a Franchise price tag for a Player that is going to be around to play at a high level is one thing. Paying a Franchise price tag for a QB who is not going to be healthy, no I'm not. Obviously you are. I'm good with the difference of opinion there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I was comfortable going with Orton, in the short time frame if we could not find a better options. I was also very comfortable trying to develop a QB. Paying a Franchise price tag for a Player that is going to be around to play at a high level is one thing. Paying a Franchise price tag for a QB who is not going to be healthy, no I'm not. Obviously you are. I'm good with the difference of opinion there.

Romo's health was never an issue 3 years ago and I have yet to uncover a post from or anyone else in that debate where his health an issue. He didn't miss a single game in 2011 so his health never came up from anyone in that thread. Although he's had injuries the past 3 seasons when he's on the field the Cowboys are a good team that has a chance and when he's unable to play we have no chance. Romo has played at a high level his entire career but you wanted to move on from him due to your concern about paying other players. You were worried about re-signing players like Bruce Carter who ended up being a bust rather than getting your franchise QB re-signed. lol

That entire debate centered around you being worried about our cap. You were more concerned about other players than your starting QB. You give the impression the Cowboys can win with just about any QB. You had no plan 3 years ago you felt comfortable with Kyle Orton as the starter and seemed to think all we had to do was draft a good QB like that would be easy. We would have been stuck with Quincy Carter Part II with Geno Smith who the Cowboys would have taken at #31 in the 2013 draft had they moved on from Romo after the 2012 season.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Romo's health was never an issue 3 years ago and I have yet to uncover a post from or anyone else in that debate where his health an issue. He didn't miss a single game in 2011 so his health never came up from anyone in that thread. Although he's had injuries the past 3 seasons when he's on the field the Cowboys are a good team that has a chance and when he's unable to play we have no chance. Romo has played at a high level his entire career but you wanted to move on from him due to your concern about paying other players. You were worried about re-signing players like Bruce Carter who ended up being a bust rather than getting your franchise QB re-signed. lol

That entire debate centered around you being worried about our cap. You were more concerned about other players than your starting QB. You give the impression the Cowboys can win with just about any QB. You had no plan 3 years ago you felt comfortable with Kyle Orton as the starter and seemed to think all we had to do was draft a good QB like that would be easy. We would have been stuck with Quincy Carter Part II with Geno Smith who the Cowboys would have taken at #31 in the 2013 draft had they moved on from Romo after the 2012 season.

That's just not true. Romo's health was an issue. This is going to be an agree to disagree thing because what you are saying now, is just not the truth.

The cap is one thing but his health has been an issue for a long time. The Geno Smith thing is just your spin. There is no reason we had to take Geno Smith. Explain to me the logic on taking a player that high that we never liked?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's just not true. Romo's health was an issue. This is going to be an agree to disagree thing because what you are saying now, is just not the truth.

The cap is one thing but his health has been an issue for a long time. The Geno Smith thing is just your spin. There is no reason we had to take Geno Smith. Explain to me the logic on taking a player that high that we never liked?

Romo's health was NOT an issue at the time that thread was started and if you think it was an issue go find a post with you making it an issue. :thumbup: I'm certainly not going to look for a post that doesn't exist so if you're claiming you were concerned about his health at that time then provide a post to back it up. Romo was coming off back to back seasons not missing a single game so his health wasn't an issue with anyone. As for Geno Smith it would have been either him or EJ Manual had the Cowboys liked him better and decided to move up for him. They may have even moved up for Geno Smith like they did with Quincy Carter fearing another team would take him.

The logic behind taking Geno Smith would have been pretty simple had Romo not been re-signed the Cowboys would have been desperate not having a solid replacement for him. It makes no difference what the Cowboys thought of Smith at the time because they had no interest in him they had Romo. Without Romo, Geno Smith would have looked a lot better especially sitting there for the taking at #31 overall. The team wouldn't have been able to pass him up having a journeyman like Kyle Orton as the starter. When you're desperate for a QB you can't pass up the opportunity to take a top college prospect and some had Geno Smith as the top rated QB in that draft.

With no Romo there's NO DOUBT Jerry goes after a QB HIGH in the 2013 draft. When Aikman was released Jerry immediately reached for Carter in the draft and he was the only one who liked him. Not having a viable starting QB made Carter look real good to Jerry. In 2014 he came very close to taking Manziel due to concerns over Romo's back surgery. I'm accurate because I have a pulse on the team and know how Jerry operates from watching him the past 28 years. It's clear from our discussions why you keep missing the boat and will continue to miss it. How you see things and i see things are like night and day.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Romo's health was NOT an issue at the time that thread was started and if you think it was an issue go find a post with you making it an issue. :thumbup: I'm certainly not going to look for a post that doesn't exist so if you're claiming you were concerned about his health at that time then provide a post to back it up. Romo was coming off back to back seasons not missing a single game so his health wasn't an issue with anyone. As for Geno Smith it would have been either him or EJ Manual had the Cowboys liked him better and decided to move up for him. They may have even moved up for Geno Smith like they did with Quincy Carter fearing another team would take him.

The logic behind taking Geno Smith would have been pretty simple had Romo not been re-signed the Cowboys would have been desperate not having a solid replacement for him. It makes no difference what the Cowboys thought of Smith at the time because they had no interest in him they had Romo. Without Romo, Geno Smith would have looked a lot better especially sitting there for the taking at #31 overall. The team wouldn't have been able to pass him up having a journeyman like Kyle Orton as the starter. When you're desperate for a QB you can't pass up the opportunity to take a top college prospect and some had Geno Smith as the top rated QB in that draft.

With no Romo there's NO DOUBT Jerry goes after a QB HIGH in the 2013 draft. When Aikman was released Jerry immediately reached for Carter in the draft and he was the only one who liked him. Not having a viable starting QB made Carter look real good to Jerry. In 2014 he came very close to taking Manziel due to concerns over Romo's back surgery. I'm accurate because I have a pulse on the team and know how Jerry operates from watching him the past 28 years. It's clear from our discussions why you keep missing the boat and will continue to miss it. How you see things and i see things are like night and day.

Desperate enough to take a QB we didn't like? OK, that is not even rational. Geno Smith would not have been the pick and your pulse, well, whatever. Come on, none of what you are saying is news with regards to Manziel but the fact remains, only Jerry liked him and that's why he wasn't drafted. It would have been the same had he been available and we needed a QB. However, we loved Derek Carr, from the same class, taken later in round 2. We tried to get into position to draft him but could not swing it. That, IMO, is the QB we would have taken if we would have needed one in 2014.

As for FA QBs we would have looked at, had Tony left, it's more then likely that it would have tried to sing a good Vet if didn't like the QBs available early.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Desperate enough to take a QB we didn't like? OK, that is not even rational. Geno Smith would not have been the pick and your pulse, well, whatever. Come on, none of what you are saying is news with regards to Manziel but the fact remains, only Jerry liked him and that's why he wasn't drafted. It would have been the same had he been available and we needed a QB. However, we loved Derek Carr, from the same class, taken later in round 2. We tried to get into position to draft him but could not swing it. That, IMO, is the QB we would have taken if we would have needed one in 2014.

As for FA QBs we would have looked at, had Tony left, it's more then likely that it would have tried to sing a good Vet if didn't like the QBs available early.

Provide a link with a comment from someone within the Cowboys organization saying "at the time" they didn't like Geno Smith? We didn't need Geno Smith at #31 in 2013 because we just re-signed Romo to a huge contract extension. We had no interest in taking any QB that year. Even if a team isn't that thrilled with a QB if they're desperate for a starting QB they'll pull the trigger more times than not on one of the top prospects if they fall in their lap. A lot of things are reported by the media but that doesn't make it true. If you listen to Jerry and Garrett at their pre-draft presser they didn't seem that impressed with Zeke they talked up Ramsey because teams posture before the draft.

They don't want anyone to know who they might be interested in taking. When Jerry likes a player regardless what anyone else thinks that's usually the player we draft it happened with Quincy Carter and Demarcus Ware. Parcells didn't want Ware with the Cowboys first #1 he wanted Spears. The only difference now is Jerry is willing to listen to Stephen who's able to talk him out of things. Jerry has been burned a lot in the draft so he listens more. If we NEEDED a starting QB in 2014 Manziel would have been the pick and Jerry and everyone in the Cowboys organization would have been on board with it.

NO WAY do the Cowboys pass on Manziel who fell in their lap if they no longer had Romo. It was us having Romo that got Jerry talked out of taking Manziel and going OL to help Romo. The team would have been persecuted for passing on Manziel and trying to position themselves to take Carr later on and failed if they didn't have Romo. TRUST ME Jerry would have taken Manziel in a HEART BEAT if the Cowboys suffered through a miserable 2013 season with no Romo. You continue to not make any sense.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Well, I dont think you want to burn out a back like we did with Murray.
400 carries is too much even if he can handle the load next year.
I dont know what is an ideal load though for year 1, 2, 3 etc.

Zeke the FREAK can carry 500x in his sleep.