35 years since round one QB

Shannon1

Reaction score
Some fans on this board think drafting a QB in the first round guarantees success. They think the only way to win a SB is with a first round QB.
Aikman Roger who would had been a 1 st round if not for the service hmm the only 2 qb s to win us superbowl s

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Aikman Roger who would had been a 1 st round if not for the service hmm the only 2 qb s to win us superbowl s
We built all-time great teams around them. Since then it’s become a passing league where QBs have to do a lot more.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I mean being drafted in the first round does not tell me they are a good QB. Even the past decade is littered with such misses that Mitch Trubisky is the average 1st round QB (no I am not making that up you can sort the averages yourself).
What happened to Trance?

Flamma

Reaction score
well they can't do it now but you are correct i agree with you, there not been the opportunity or good reason to do so.. when you're win 36 games, 2 division titles and been the playoffs 3 straight years with top qb or 3 of 5 years in the playoffs, exactly why waste the resources?? by the way how many super bowls have those quarterbacks won that you just listed? did the end any long droughts by their teams?
Quarterbacks from those teams have won or been in the super bowl the last 5 years.

rambo2

Reaction score
What’s crazy is people thinking there’s a better chance getting an high end QB on day 3 of the draft or later.
It's crazy to say that it is obvious that the Cowboys can't win with Dak and the Eagles can win with Foles.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Not really. It’s crazy after all these years to think Dak can get it done in the postseason. 2 playoff wins in 8 years.

Without homefield, we would need 4 playoff wins in one season to win a SB. He may not get 4 or more in his entire career.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually the Cowboys have drafted two QBs in round one- In 1965, the Cowboys drafted QB Craig Morton in the first round. So Morton and Aikman are the only two.

Interestingly, Morton was the first Cowboys QB to win a conference championship as the starter. In 1970, Morton was the QB when the Cowboys beat SF in the NFC championship game. He also was the first Cowboys QB to start a SB in SB V.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The team has been very lucky. I can only think of two periods in the entire franchise history that there was no immediate (working) replacement plan, either through luck or planning.

The big one, of course was after Aikman. The other small one was Danny White’s replacement, even though White was still on the roster. That didn’t last long though. Had Aikman pretty soon. I read that Landry would have drafted Aikman too, if kept around.

LeBaron to Meredith
Meredith to Morton/Staubach
Staubach to White
**Hogeboom, Pelluer**
Aikman
**Hutch, Stoerner, Henson, Quincy, Testaverde, Bledsoe**
Romo to Dak
Dak to TBD

Looks like we’ll have another painful transition if Trey Lance doesn’t get better very quickly.

Except for Morton (#5 overall) and Aikman (#1 overall) I think the team lucked into all of those quarterbacks to some degree. Staubach was a Heisman winner, it was still no guarantee picking someone who had to serve a few years first

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I would call it 2 QB's because even though Walsh was drafted in the supplemental draft, it still cost the Cowboys a first round pick.in 1990 to do it
I was going to say this. Jimmy ended up trading Walsh to the Saints (I think) for their first and third (I think).

mrmojo

Reaction score
The Cowboys do not value the QB position.

They might be the only organization that blatantly ignores the most important job in sports.
I don't think the Cowboys value any position except WR and TE for some reason.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Really you think because we haven't drafted first round quarterbacks or really you need to be in the top five to get a shot at even having a quality quarterback well what happened to the rest of the league because they can't even find a quarterback better than Prescott they're very rare situations where you have to burn your team down to the ground and you're picking in the top five so it's natural to look for a quarterback but let's just use Trey Lance for example do you really think that the 49ers somehow we're planning on finding Brock Purdy where they did or did they get lucky and trip over him the last pick in the draft knocked the first round but gave up three first round picks for Trey Lance because that's how desperate teams are to find a guy even on Prescott's level...

Don't answer it's rhetorical there have been 95 quarterbacks drafted since 2016 and only one of them have won a Super Bowl there is no guarantee picking quarterbacks in the first round especially where the Cowboys have been the last three to Four Seasons we have been picking in the bottom five of every round of every draft...

But let's go back to the 28 year drought why is it that all these other teams who have had multiple and I'm some of them I don't know Cleveland went through what five or six first round quarterbacks why is it that gave up on that and went out and got deshaun Watson for a boatload of draft picks and paid him guaranteed one of the largest contracts ever guaranteed in the NFL???

What you don't like common sense this is facts The Jets the same way look all over the NFL the bottom 20 teams that that are way below the Cowboys have been trying for a decade to draft a quarterback that can get them to and win a Super Bowl...

There is no guarantee that getting a quarterback in the first round it's gonna give you an automatic Super Bowl that is not happening so you're worried about the drought and you have teams again like the 49ers who went and traded for Jimmy garoppolo I don't even know where they got Kaepernick I can't forget but I know this they made a giant mistake which hey Lance but if they made-up for it by accident they tripped onto Brock Purdy that is what happens in the NFL just like the Dallas Cowboys undrafted Tony Romo they got Prescott in the fourth round that's just dumb luck most of the time it's gonna take a very long time to ....uper bowl caliber winning quarterback..

What is it that that takes too much common sense where facts win out you all are not right just going after a quarterback in the first round does not guarantee more success than we've had with our last two quarterbacks you show me where it has??.

I mean Tom Brady was he a first round pick I mean he won most of the last two centuries worked the Super bowls or at least got there last time I checked was Russell Wilson a first round pick how many Super Bowls did Kurt Warner get to was he a first round pick was Nick Foles a first round pick maybe he was I don't remember it took Stafford 13 years on the wrong team to be one year on the right team to win a Super Bowl but you can't count he was a first round pick in that Super Bowl run because that was in year 13...

So yes if you're a bad team and you're picking in the top five yearly and have the opportunity to take some quarterbacks or even if you're picking in the top 15 you can move up into the top 10 and you could accidentally find you a quarterback that's great but there is no blueprint there is no guarantee for success because it's still a quarterback starved league where your fourth round pick just finished second team all pro and 2nd MVP voting has never been part of a losing season quarterback is not our biggest problem..

Our biggest problem is the fact that we go into the playoffs without a physical offensive line without a run game that produces at any high of a level in those big games against the better defenses we also don't have guys getting open and then you go to the defense three of these last five playoff losses the defense was not good and the last one they were absolutely horrible and you have special teams and coaches that are also not showing up when they need help...

That is why we have a 28 year drought because the teams just not good enough to beat the best teams at the right time in the playoffs and it has almost nothing to do with the quarterback sure he's a little to blame but we watched the games there's a lot missing that Troy and Roger did not have to carry a team they had those things everything on my list they had them..

So can you be a little more creative than spinning out the same drought nonsense?? We're in a drought because we just don't have the depth and the right players on this team to go further in the playoffs but at least we're finishing in the top six it could be far worse that's for damn sure..
Yes no guarantee that drafting a QB in the 1st round will lead us to our first div playoff win in 28 years (only Washington is worse in NFC). My point is that drafting a QB in the 1st round does work out sometimes, like the Houston Texans have found their franchise QB. We all know why we can't and won't win in Dallas.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Actually the Cowboys have drafted two QBs in round one- In 1965, the Cowboys drafted QB Craig Morton in the first round. So Morton and Aikman are the only two.

Interestingly, Morton was the first Cowboys QB to win a conference championship as the starter. In 1970, Morton was the QB when the Cowboys beat SF in the NFC championship game. He also was the first Cowboys QB to start a SB in SB V.
Steve Walsh .........remember him ( supplemental draft )
Did we give up a 1st????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Walsh_(American_football)

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yes no guarantee that drafting a QB in the 1st round will lead us to our first div playoff win in 28 years (only Washington is worse in NFC). My point is that drafting a QB in the 1st round does work out sometimes, like the Houston Texans have found their franchise QB. We all know why we can't and won't win in Dallas.
They found their franchise quarterback that has done nothing that Prescott hasn't done early in his career. You do understand that Prescott was the rookie of the year, won13 games probably would have then even better his second year had Zeke not got ridiculously suspended and then in 2018 went to the second round of the playoffs, both those playoffs runs were cut short because of bad defense.​

So, you acting like that one off outlier so far that's all we have on Houston's quarterback is somehow he's going to be better than Prescott??

Is that what you're saying?? Are you saying you're taking one good year ,I mean I've seen Blake Bortles go to an AFC championship games, I've seen Mark Sanchez go to a couple, I saw teams bring quarterbacks along with them to a couple of Super Bowls and even win some historically like Nick Foles and a whole list of guys like Trent dilfer were not better than Prescott.

Their teams were better than Prescott... So, what you're now judging is a one year one off sample of Houston's quarterback... What we're talking about here is it going to get them farther because we seen this tune with deshaun Watson with Houston puffing their chest out and it never happened they are futile and anybody who keeps talking about these moves Houston's making; hey big clap, big Garett sarcastic clap, because nobody wins games when none are being played ,schedules have not been released, the regular season has not yet started...they are now what 75 years and waiting?? makes 28 not so bad waiting for #6 as Houtons waiting for #! 75 years let that sink in.. CJ and Texans =TBD INC!! let SE IT not predict it..​

The Houston Oilers, the Tennessee Titans, and the Texans have all linked together for zero Super Bowls in 63 years ,

so again these first round picks ,I don't care what they might look like good or bad early, We/I need to see more than one season from this guy but thanks for picking out one when the guy who went before him didn't look so good... the number one overall pick like Baker Mayfield is not better than Prescott, we got him in the fourth round, we also got Romo which I would take over Baker Mayfield in about dozens of other failures over your little handful of success stories.

It's really not about just a first round pick you need to be in the top five to get those guys you can't do that if you're winning the number of games the Cowboys are winning.. so unless we have a bad season and get a top ten pick where we can move up into the top five without sacrificing the next three to five drafts it's not worth it IMHO

And by the way Bob was nice enough to post something, I think it's on this thread might be the Last Post the Dallas Cowboys have been around since 1960 and only have had two top quarterbacks in the first round??​
So this is not a Jerry Jones thing, this is a league thing and sometimes when you already find your quarterbacks other ways you don't need a first round pick to be successful... so how about I raise your CJ Stroud and show you a guy like Brock Purdy, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Wilson, and many others who were not top picks and now we can add in Prescott because he's been a top five the top ten quarterback and can bring us to the promised land if he had a better team...​
You know team that even resembled something that Troy and Roger had; Prescott would be successful on those teams and so with Tony Romo IMHO We have not had a good team in quite a long time, it's not about a first round quarterback, it's about a better assembled team including the coaching staff that both our last two quarterbacks have not had... You go look at all those playoff losses and you show me the offensive lines that our 70s and 90s Cowboys have had and guys like Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith and the defenses and the coaching Staffs and I'll tell you why quarterback is not our main issue...​
No matter what anybody tries to tell me Troy and Roger never carry this team they didn't carry their teams they never were asked to they never had to they literally had some of the top running games top physical offensive lines top receivers along with some of the top defenses and they all showed up in the playoffs our team is not showing up to support our quarterback from the top down our team is losing in the playoffs...​
TEAM it's not spelled quarterback..​
And look I'm not suggesting we should never pick a first-round quarterback, I'm telling you there's no blueprint for success because we've seen quarterbacks taken all over or even undrafted players have success, we've seen backup players win Super Bowls, literally that were far under Prescott's level of talent is.....​
The largest problem is the team has not been built to handle a long playoff run they are not physical enough, they don't bring a balanced offense ,they do not come to play their best in all phases, including coaching, and we just keep picking on the quarterback....​
And by the way we have our first round quarterback HIS name is Trey Lance LOL​
I mean he's on our team is he not ? LOL just maybe they can mold this guy into something but stop telling me that you need to have a first-round quarterback to be successful because that's just not true.. But if you are going to do it you're not trying to pick him at #30 or #25 or #15 you're trying to get into the top five to do this or you can get lucky and find one outside the top five but just picking one in the first round is not lining yourself up for success as we have PROOF ie teams like the browns, jets, and Denver have given up on the draft and went high risk and its also not working out..at least with Dak we only sacrifice MONEY, not wasted draft capital going after similar guys....why has Indy taken so long to replace PM and so far BB got fired because he could replace Brady faster where was their plans??​

ArtClink

Reaction score
They found their franchise quarterback that has done nothing that Prescott hasn't done early in his career. You do understand that Prescott was the rookie of the year, won13 games probably would have then even better his second year had Zeke not got ridiculously suspended and then in 2018 went to the second round of the playoffs, both those playoffs runs were cut short because of bad defense.​

So, you acting like that one off outlier so far that's all we have on Houston's quarterback is somehow he's going to be better than Prescott??

Is that what you're saying?? Are you saying you're taking one good year ,I mean I've seen Blake Bortles go to an AFC championship games, I've seen Mark Sanchez go to a couple, I saw teams bring quarterbacks along with them to a couple of Super Bowls and even win some historically like Nick Foles and a whole list of guys like Trent dilfer were not better than Prescott.

Their teams were better than Prescott... So, what you're now judging is a one year one off sample of Houston's quarterback... What we're talking about here is it going to get them farther because we seen this tune with deshaun Watson with Houston puffing their chest out and it never happened they are futile and anybody who keeps talking about these moves Houston's making; hey big clap, big Garett sarcastic clap, because nobody wins games when none are being played ,schedules have not been released, the regular season has not yet started...they are now what 75 years and waiting?? makes 28 not so bad waiting for #6 as Houtons waiting for #! 75 years let that sink in.. CJ and Texans =TBD INC!! let SE IT not predict it..​

The Houston Oilers, the Tennessee Titans, and the Texans have all linked together for zero Super Bowls in 63 years ,

so again these first round picks ,I don't care what they might look like good or bad early, We/I need to see more than one season from this guy but thanks for picking out one when the guy who went before him didn't look so good... the number one overall pick like Baker Mayfield is not better than Prescott, we got him in the fourth round, we also got Romo which I would take over Baker Mayfield in about dozens of other failures over your little handful of success stories.

It's really not about just a first round pick you need to be in the top five to get those guys you can't do that if you're winning the number of games the Cowboys are winning.. so unless we have a bad season and get a top ten pick where we can move up into the top five without sacrificing the next three to five drafts it's not worth it IMHO

And by the way Bob was nice enough to post something, I think it's on this thread might be the Last Post the Dallas Cowboys have been around since 1960 and only have had two top quarterbacks in the first round??​
So this is not a Jerry Jones thing, this is a league thing and sometimes when you already find your quarterbacks other ways you don't need a first round pick to be successful... so how about I raise your CJ Stroud and show you a guy like Brock Purdy, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Wilson, and many others who were not top picks and now we can add in Prescott because he's been a top five the top ten quarterback and can bring us to the promised land if he had a better team...​
You know team that even resembled something that Troy and Roger had; Prescott would be successful on those teams and so with Tony Romo IMHO We have not had a good team in quite a long time, it's not about a first round quarterback, it's about a better assembled team including the coaching staff that both our last two quarterbacks have not had... You go look at all those playoff losses and you show me the offensive lines that our 70s and 90s Cowboys have had and guys like Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith and the defenses and the coaching Staffs and I'll tell you why quarterback is not our main issue...​
No matter what anybody tries to tell me Troy and Roger never carry this team they didn't carry their teams they never were asked to they never had to they literally had some of the top running games top physical offensive lines top receivers along with some of the top defenses and they all showed up in the playoffs our team is not showing up to support our quarterback from the top down our team is losing in the playoffs...​
TEAM it's not spelled quarterback..​
And look I'm not suggesting we should never pick a first-round quarterback, I'm telling you there's no blueprint for success because we've seen quarterbacks taken all over or even undrafted players have success, we've seen backup players win Super Bowls, literally that were far under Prescott's level of talent is.....​
The largest problem is the team has not been built to handle a long playoff run they are not physical enough, they don't bring a balanced offense ,they do not come to play their best in all phases, including coaching, and we just keep picking on the quarterback....​
And by the way we have our first round quarterback HIS name is Trey Lance LOL​
I mean he's on our team is he not ? LOL just maybe they can mold this guy into something but stop telling me that you need to have a first-round quarterback to be successful because that's just not true.. But if you are going to do it you're not trying to pick him at #30 or #25 or #15 you're trying to get into the top five to do this or you can get lucky and find one outside the top five but just picking one in the first round is not lining yourself up for success as we have PROOF ie teams like the browns, jets, and Denver have given up on the draft and went high risk and its also not working out..at least with Dak we only sacrifice MONEY, not wasted draft capital going after similar guys....why has Indy taken so long to replace PM and so far BB got fired because he could replace Brady faster where was their plans??​
I never said he was better than Prescott, you inferred that.