35 years since round one QB

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What people fail to understand is that the offense as it is built can roll with any QB. What you need is a QB that allows you to extend what the offense is fully capable of. Dak isn't it and the predictability of the offense shows just that.
Second team all pro says otherwise.

Hardline

Reaction score
They drafted two first round QBs 35 years ago. one was taken in the supplemental draft. Steve Walsh.

Adreme

Reaction score
So what combination of players do we need to actually make Dak a success? The man has had a pretty reasonable squad every year of his career. WR's, RB's, OL's, TE's. What next? Tom Landry's clone as coach? Maybe we can create the copy of Baltimores awesome defense and somehow do it while paying the spare 60 mil a year.
Nothing more than what they had as he was 2nd team all pro last year (aka voted 2nd best QB in football). If your standard is "never has a bad half in the playoffs" then sorry the NFL has 0 of those as every QB in the playoffs had at least 1. What the team needed to have success is to actually have a LB playing LB and not a S. As I have said before that caused the defense to give up 6 TDs in the first 7 possessions and in the history of the NFL playoffs no team has won doing that.

Hardline

Reaction score
There you go. Spencer Rattler at 24 and we are Super Bowl bound. You are a genius.
Don't create strawemen.Where did he mention Spencer Rattler? Maybe he was actually referring to a QB that would justify a 1st round pick like Nix or Penix Jr.
He is more of a genius than you for thinking Dak isn't the answer,
You need to come to the realization that Dak is going to lead this team to a Super Bowl championship.
Dak can't carry a team and the FO doesn't know how to build a team to win one.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yup it’s been 35 years since we drafted Troy Aikman and he was the last quarterback to win us a Super Bowl. Jerry… hey Jerry are you listening to me Jerry.
Of the QBs that were drafted since Dak in 2016 only Mahomes has won a SB. The Cowboys had the first pick in the draft in 89 and were lucky a highly touted QB like Aikman was available in that draft. It would be a huge crapshoot taking a QB in the first round where we’re usually picking. Most QBs taken after the top 10 aren’t panning out.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
He's waiting for us to get one and he fails so he can say THIS IS WHY WE DON'T DO THIS LOL

mattjames2010

Reaction score
To be fair, if the 2003 and 2016 drafts were redone, both Romo and Dak would go in the first.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Nothing more than what they had as he was 2nd team all pro last year (aka voted 2nd best QB in football). If your standard is "never has a bad half in the playoffs" then sorry the NFL has 0 of those as every QB in the playoffs had at least 1. What the team needed to have success is to actually have a LB playing LB and not a S. As I have said before that caused the defense to give up 6 TDs in the first 7 possessions and in the history of the NFL playoffs no team has won doing that.
No my standard is don't crap the bed when the lights turn on. That's a pretty low bar.

Jayinem

Reaction score
The last time it went so poorly the Jones' swore they'd never do it again.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I dont think Jerry is out on 1st round QB's..i'm pretty sure he was "All in" on Johnny money and had to be restrained...

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Second team all pro says otherwise.
Patrick Mahomes
Joe Burrow
Josh Allen
Aaron Rodgers
Justin Herbert

Jalen Hurts
Lamar Jackson
Dak Prescott (ranks here)
Trevor Lawrence
Deshaun Watson (hurt last year don't forget how he played in houston)

All of these QB's have a potential to be a second team all-pro in our pass heavy offensive system where Ceedee lamb is designed to get 110+ targets in the year. when you figure out we did this with a middle of the pack QB, you will start to realize he is our Achilles heal

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Patrick Mahomes
Joe Burrow
Josh Allen
Aaron Rodgers
Justin Herbert

Jalen Hurts
Lamar Jackson
Dak Prescott (ranks here)
Trevor Lawrence
Deshaun Watson (hurt last year don't forget how he played in houston)

All of these QB's have a potential to be a second team all-pro in our pass heavy offensive system where Ceedee lamb is designed to get 110+ targets in the year. when you figure out we did this with a middle of the pack QB, you will start to realize he is our Achilles heal
lol man if you think thats the problem i would like to introduce you to the Cowboys before 2016, it wont take long and i bet i can change your mind on what the "Achilles heal" of this franchise is...

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'd be scared to take a guy in the first round, what if he comes in is good? Could we still blame the coaches, offensive line, running backs, wide receivers and defense?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What people fail to understand is that the offense as it is built can roll with any QB. What you need is a QB that allows you to extend what the offense is fully capable of. Dak isn't it and the predictability of the offense shows just that.
Not just any QB can roll with this offense. You’re saying we need a QB that allows us to extend what the offense is fully capable of when the offense was designed to maximize what Dak does. lol We heard the term “Dak friendly.” He had over 4500 yards passing and led the league in TDs. He completed almost 70% of his passes and had a 105.9 passer rating, plus we led the league in scoring and you’re saying he doesn’t allow us to extend what the offense is fully capable of? :rolleyes: Not sure where you came up with that.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And a great many were not. All you demonstrated is that scouts are not completely useless at evaluating talent but we have seen they are far from perfect and your draft stock is utterly meaningless once you actually get drafted. All it is is a prediction of what you will be. What you will actually be is up to a combination of the player, the coaches, and luck.
So....we shouldnt try? What is it you want done?