35 years since round one QB

Flamma

Reaction score
Well ..... Jerry is an idiot.

But they have not given Dak anything yet.
I'm talking about why they haven't drafted a QB in the first round. The Chiefs, Bills, Chargers, Bengals, aren't going to draft a QB in the first round for obvious reasons. Same for the Cowboys with the years Dak and Romo have been with the team. They could probably do it now.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The fuhrer doesn’t draft QBs in the first round, thus our 28 year draught.
Really you think because we haven't drafted first round quarterbacks or really you need to be in the top five to get a shot at even having a quality quarterback well what happened to the rest of the league because they can't even find a quarterback better than Prescott they're very rare situations where you have to burn your team down to the ground and you're picking in the top five so it's natural to look for a quarterback but let's just use Trey Lance for example do you really think that the 49ers somehow we're planning on finding Brock Purdy where they did or did they get lucky and trip over him the last pick in the draft knocked the first round but gave up three first round picks for Trey Lance because that's how desperate teams are to find a guy even on Prescott's level...

Don't answer it's rhetorical there have been 95 quarterbacks drafted since 2016 and only one of them have won a Super Bowl there is no guarantee picking quarterbacks in the first round especially where the Cowboys have been the last three to Four Seasons we have been picking in the bottom five of every round of every draft...

But let's go back to the 28 year drought why is it that all these other teams who have had multiple and I'm some of them I don't know Cleveland went through what five or six first round quarterbacks why is it that gave up on that and went out and got deshaun Watson for a boatload of draft picks and paid him guaranteed one of the largest contracts ever guaranteed in the NFL???

What you don't like common sense this is facts The Jets the same way look all over the NFL the bottom 20 teams that that are way below the Cowboys have been trying for a decade to draft a quarterback that can get them to and win a Super Bowl...

There is no guarantee that getting a quarterback in the first round it's gonna give you an automatic Super Bowl that is not happening so you're worried about the drought and you have teams again like the 49ers who went and traded for Jimmy garoppolo I don't even know where they got Kaepernick I can't forget but I know this they made a giant mistake which hey Lance but if they made-up for it by accident they tripped onto Brock Purdy that is what happens in the NFL just like the Dallas Cowboys undrafted Tony Romo they got Prescott in the fourth round that's just dumb luck most of the time it's gonna take a very long time to ....uper bowl caliber winning quarterback..

What is it that that takes too much common sense where facts win out you all are not right just going after a quarterback in the first round does not guarantee more success than we've had with our last two quarterbacks you show me where it has??.

I mean Tom Brady was he a first round pick I mean he won most of the last two centuries worked the Super bowls or at least got there last time I checked was Russell Wilson a first round pick how many Super Bowls did Kurt Warner get to was he a first round pick was Nick Foles a first round pick maybe he was I don't remember it took Stafford 13 years on the wrong team to be one year on the right team to win a Super Bowl but you can't count he was a first round pick in that Super Bowl run because that was in year 13...

So yes if you're a bad team and you're picking in the top five yearly and have the opportunity to take some quarterbacks or even if you're picking in the top 15 you can move up into the top 10 and you could accidentally find you a quarterback that's great but there is no blueprint there is no guarantee for success because it's still a quarterback starved league where your fourth round pick just finished second team all pro and 2nd MVP voting has never been part of a losing season quarterback is not our biggest problem..

Our biggest problem is the fact that we go into the playoffs without a physical offensive line without a run game that produces at any high of a level in those big games against the better defenses we also don't have guys getting open and then you go to the defense three of these last five playoff losses the defense was not good and the last one they were absolutely horrible and you have special teams and coaches that are also not showing up when they need help...

That is why we have a 28 year drought because the teams just not good enough to beat the best teams at the right time in the playoffs and it has almost nothing to do with the quarterback sure he's a little to blame but we watched the games there's a lot missing that Troy and Roger did not have to carry a team they had those things everything on my list they had them..

So can you be a little more creative than spinning out the same drought nonsense?? We're in a drought because we just don't have the depth and the right players on this team to go further in the playoffs but at least we're finishing in the top six it could be far worse that's for damn sure..

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same reason we haven't hired a ligit HC.
Jerry wanted to win a super bowl by himself, no star QB , no Big time HC to share the accolades with.
A super bowl has to be credited to Jerry the great.
However, I'm happy to report that seems to have changed

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm talking about why they haven't drafted a QB in the first round. The Chiefs, Bills, Chargers, Bengals, aren't going to draft a QB in the first round for obvious reasons. Same for the Cowboys with the years Dak and Romo have been with the team. They could probably do it now.
well they can't do it now but you are correct i agree with you, there not been the opportunity or good reason to do so.. when you're win 36 games, 2 division titles and been the playoffs 3 straight years with top qb or 3 of 5 years in the playoffs, exactly why waste the resources?? by the way how many super bowls have those quarterbacks won that you just listed? did the end any long droughts by their teams?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would call it 2 QB's because even though Walsh was drafted in the supplemental draft, it still cost the Cowboys a first round pick.in 1990 to do it

mardwin

Reaction score
The Cowboys do not value the QB position.

They might be the only organization that blatantly ignores the most important job in sports.
They have drafted every position in round 1 in the last 28 years, except kicker and QB. Think about that for a second. They have invested more 1st round picks in WRs than any other position in the last 28 years...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Some fans on this board think drafting a QB in the first round guarantees success. They think the only way to win a SB is with a first round QB.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Do you realize Troy was a generational talent and the 1st overall pick
what they don't realize is how many first round picks have totally failed... That's no guarantee that was just dumb luck, and Troy also had one of the most complete coaching Staffs and teams in the history of the Dallas Cowboys maybe only second to the 70s..

What did those teams have in common they were great teams from top to bottom,.. Troy and Roger didn't win because of how great they were they won because they were great on a even better team... Train Roger were never asked and I never seen one game in the history of the Dallas Cowboys where the quarterback alone won games in the playoffs..​
What I saw was a strong run game dominant offensive line dominant defensive line and a great coaching staff ohh and a team full hall of Famers...​

MikeT22

Reaction score
What are we talking about here? Why would you draft a QB in the first round if you already have a franchise QB? That removes a lot of years. I can see doing it if your QB is aging and on his way out. But other than that, why?
Yeah makes sense why we didn’t do so when we had Staubach and later with Aikman.

But what about the last 20 years?

MikeT22

Reaction score
Some fans on this board think drafting a QB in the first round guarantees success. They think the only way to win a SB is with a first round QB.
I haven’t heard one person say it guarantees success.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup it’s been 35 years since we drafted Troy Aikman and he was the last quarterback to win us a Super Bowl. Jerry… hey Jerry are you listening to me Jerry.
Are you suggesting we should have drafted Prescott in the 1st round?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yup it’s been 35 years since we drafted Troy Aikman and he was the last quarterback to win us a Super Bowl. Jerry… hey Jerry are you listening to me Jerry.
It doesn't take a first-round QB to win a Super Bowl and as Dak has shown us, it doesn't take a first-round QB to break the bank. :laugh:

rambo2

Reaction score
The vast majority part stumped you?
No, it didn't. Who gives a ****. The dominant super bowl winning qb was a 6th round pick. Big deal. If Nick Foles won a Super Bowl. The Cowboys qb can win one too.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I haven’t heard one person say it guarantees success.
I haven’t either but some act like they think it’s a guarantee. I was arguing with a fan who claimed all the Cowboys need to do to improve over Dak is draft a QB in the first round. I had another fan tell me if Trey Lance is given an opportunity he’ll be better than Dak because he was the third overall pick and Dak was taken in the 4th round. :rolleyes:

MikeT22

Reaction score
No, it didn't. Who gives a ****. The dominant super bowl winning qb was a 6th round pick. Big deal. If Nick Foles won a Super Bowl. The Cowboys qb can win one too.
Obviously not.

Also, good luck trying to find another Brady in any round, let alone the 6th or later

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Troy Aikman as first pick in 1989 draft; Steve Walsh in Supplemental Draft 1989. Has any other team gone so long, 58 years, with only one QB drafted in the first round? Ponder this for many moments.

In 1979, the Cowboys were on the board in the third round and loved TE Doug Cosbie, who turned out to be a very good selection. However, the top player on their board was not selected, Joe Montana!!!!

In 2005, after selecting Demarcus Ware with the 12th pick in the first round, the Cowboys also had the 20th selection and Parcels picked LSU DE Marcus Spears, who did not turn out well. Left on the board, snatched with the 24th pick of that round, was Aaron Rodgers!!!!!

Opportunity knocks not too often.

Rodgers' skill set was far superior to Romo, who ran a 5.2 and was undrafted. His lack of straight ahead foot speed, although he had short area evasiveness, hindered him from greater success. Romo was on the bench 2003-2005. Parcells was responsible for Quincy Carter and Marcus Spears.

With Parcells in 2004, the Cowboys' starting QB was an ancient Vinnie Testaverde, overtaking Quincy Carter, whose drug escapades caused his departure. In 2005, the Cowboys went to a Statue of Liberty at QB, Drew Bledsoe. Rodgers was there for the taking.

Joe Montana could have led the team to better results through the 1980's. Rodgers, if selected instead of Marcus Spears, for sure would have taken several Boys' teams to Super Bowl champions.

Boys selected Quincy Carter 2nd round out of Georgia even though most on campus knew he was a drug user.
Boys like to take hand-me downs as QB, undrafted Tony Romo and comp pick at end of 4th round Dak. They hoped Drew Henson could muster his NCAA greatness after a failed baseball career. They tried to turn Ryan Leaf around. They gave a 4th for Trey Lance, who was dumped by the 49ers, who had to be convinced Lance has no chance of becoming what they had projected. Other QB dumps lately have gone for very late draft picks, not as high as a 4th.

So think about it again: the Boys took Marcus Spears, who never lived up to his LSU greatness, over Aaron Rodgers.

If Boys want a franchise QB who has "it, " they are usually found in the first round. Dak, who clearly lacks "it," 2-5 in playoff games, is robbing the team of player salary flexibility and I feel we are back to the dark days of purgatory, with the inability to sign free agents to supplement our draft pick winners.

Jimmy Johnson signed free agents -- called Plan B back then -- Jay Novacek TE, LB Vinson Smith, safety James Washington, all of whom became starters when he needed talent. He also made trades for disgruntled players who started for the Boys: safety Thomas Everrett, G John Gesek, DT Tony Casillas and DE Charles Haley.
Parcells was not responsible for Quincy Carter, who was drafted in 2001, two years before Parcells was hired as Cowboys coach. Parcells inherited Carter.

1942willys

Reaction score
Parcells was not responsible for Quincy Carter, who was drafted in 2001, two years before Parcells was hired as Cowboys coach. Parcells inherited Carter.
yeah a rather big mistake for someone trying to act like a Cowboys expert

Shannon1

Reaction score
Troy Aikman as first pick in 1989 draft; Steve Walsh in Supplemental Draft 1989. Has any other team gone so long, 58 years, with only one QB drafted in the first round? Ponder this for many moments.

In 1979, the Cowboys were on the board in the third round and loved TE Doug Cosbie, who turned out to be a very good selection. However, the top player on their board was not selected, Joe Montana!!!!

In 2005, after selecting Demarcus Ware with the 12th pick in the first round, the Cowboys also had the 20th selection and Parcels picked LSU DE Marcus Spears, who did not turn out well. Left on the board, snatched with the 24th pick of that round, was Aaron Rodgers!!!!!

Opportunity knocks not too often.

Rodgers' skill set was far superior to Romo, who ran a 5.2 and was undrafted. His lack of straight ahead foot speed, although he had short area evasiveness, hindered him from greater success. Romo was on the bench 2003-2005. Parcells was responsible for Quincy Carter and Marcus Spears.

With Parcells in 2004, the Cowboys' starting QB was an ancient Vinnie Testaverde, overtaking Quincy Carter, whose drug escapades caused his departure. In 2005, the Cowboys went to a Statue of Liberty at QB, Drew Bledsoe. Rodgers was there for the taking.

Joe Montana could have led the team to better results through the 1980's. Rodgers, if selected instead of Marcus Spears, for sure would have taken several Boys' teams to Super Bowl champions.

Boys selected Quincy Carter 2nd round out of Georgia even though most on campus knew he was a drug user.
Boys like to take hand-me downs as QB, undrafted Tony Romo and comp pick at end of 4th round Dak. They hoped Drew Henson could muster his NCAA greatness after a failed baseball career. They tried to turn Ryan Leaf around. They gave a 4th for Trey Lance, who was dumped by the 49ers, who had to be convinced Lance has no chance of becoming what they had projected. Other QB dumps lately have gone for very late draft picks, not as high as a 4th.

So think about it again: the Boys took Marcus Spears, who never lived up to his LSU greatness, over Aaron Rodgers.

If Boys want a franchise QB who has "it, " they are usually found in the first round. Dak, who clearly lacks "it," 2-5 in playoff games, is robbing the team of player salary flexibility and I feel we are back to the dark days of purgatory, with the inability to sign free agents to supplement our draft pick winners.

Jimmy Johnson signed free agents -- called Plan B back then -- Jay Novacek TE, LB Vinson Smith, safety James Washington, all of whom became starters when he needed talent. He also made trades for disgruntled players who started for the Boys: safety Thomas Everrett, G John Gesek, DT Tony Casillas and DE Charles Haley.
Yea he won us 3 Super Bowl s Roger would have been a 1st round if not for the service the o the qb who won us super Bowls so I would say getting a 1st round qb is a lot better than late round qbs or free agents