38 million a year, what can that buy?

starcity214

Reaction score
Colts instantly because they are right now the team that is one QB away from having real SB aspirations. Raiders, Bucs and Titans take a long look but they might have cap issues (plus I think the Titans are not as good as they think they are).

Teams like Miami and Cinci already have a high pick so they do not need to (and are in rebuild but in Cincis case it might be worth it so they can grab Young). I have no clue what Washington is up to, but if Alex Smith does not come back they do not have a QB on the roster because Haskins was not that good. They though also are a draft or 2 away from wanting to buy a QB to contend.

The other team to keep an eye on is Carolina. They are probably done with Newton due to injuries and are a QB away from well being in the discussion.

You say the Vikings showed why you should not but the Vikings showed why you should. They are a contending team right now because they have a guy who can do it. Dak is a class beyond Kirk, he is more around where Wentz is (Wentz is better when healthy is healthy less so it evens out) and certainly better than Goff, but that isnt really important. The important thing is is Dak one of the 12-16 guys who can lead your team to a SB? If he is good enough to do that (note not every that is good enough has of course) then he needs to be signed because without that QB you are not making it past the divisional round. At all.

Why do you think SF went out and spent a fortune on the Patriots backup? Because without him they are drafting number 2 and with him they are in the Super Bowl. THAT is the difference between having the guy and not. Right now the Cowboys have that guy and no one on the market is one of those guys so without Dak the window is closed.

Why does everyone hate Goff?

He was pretty close to throwing for 5k also and the man has been to a superbowl and beat Dak in the playoffs.

The Colts already have their own Dak in Jacoby Brissett. Preposterous you say? Brissett doesn't have our weapons. And Dak wouldn't have our weapons either if he was in Indy. Remember how Dak looked before Amari?

As for the Vikings, they went to the NFC championship eith keenum as their QB..
ANY stacked team can contend with an average QB.. i said CONTEND.. because as we saw with the 49ers, a yeam with a better QB will eventually beat you.

The Vikings, if they had kept keenum, would still be contenders because that team is good enough to get by with average QB play .

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Why does everyone hate Goff? .
His greatest accomplishment in the NFL is learning that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west in training camp as a rookie. I bet he is still impressed with that knowledge.

Adreme

Reaction score

He was pretty close to throwing for 5k also and the man has been to a superbowl and beat Dak in the playoffs.

The Colts already have their own Dak in Jacoby Brissett. Preposterous you say? Brissett doesn't have our weapons. And Dak wouldn't have our weapons either if he was in Indy. Remember how Dak looked before Amari?

ANY stacked team can contend with an average QB.. i said CONTEND.. because as we saw with the 49ers, a yeam with a better QB will eventually beat you.

The Vikings, if they had kept keenum, would still be contenders because that team is good enough to get by with average QB play .

The 49ers do not have a better QB; the 49ers have one of the 12-16 QBs that can win a title. Also people hate on Goff because most of his career he has been objectively awful at playing QB. 1st season trash, 2nd season progress, 3rd season good, 4th season trash tells me there is more not to like. Also Goff has never been on the field at the same time as Dak. I always hated that "This QB beat that QB" nonsense because they do not play each other, the play the opposing defense.

And yes the Vikings, on the back of a literal miracle play, made it to the NFC Championship game with a scrub QB, but the fact that it took that with how loaded that roster was (that was the rosters high point sadly) kinda establishes the point.

Stacked teams with great QBs or average QBs will contend because in the NFL winning is not easy; it takes both a stacked and healthy roster to win a title AND it takes having that guy at QB (plus OL and Corners generally). There are plenty of teams with great QBs and stacked rosters and at the end of the day if you want a real chance at a ring you need to also have one of those yourself. Stacking the roster comes through the draft (which is the BIGGEST concern about the Cowboys right now because the last couple drafts have been lacking and this is where those players would be stepping up) and those drafts need to be hits.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
"I still want 40" isn't really a counter offer, it's a reiteration of Dak's most extreme demand.

Sounds like a big gap they've made no progress in closing. Time for a tag, then shop Dak in free agency, shop for free agent QBs, and see if we can make a better deal.
Lol. The Cowboys aren't going to shop Dak. Y'all need to get over that pipe dream. It's not happening. The Cowboys know Dak's worth.

Kwyn

Reaction score
So with Dak's new request of 40 million per year vs 2 million a year for Rush, what can that buy in FA?

2 top tier DT's and a safety?

1 top tier DT, safety and TE?

Basically 3 top tier players (~12.5 million per player).

What would your formula be?
Well, if you’re spending all of our Quarterback money on defensive tackles, I would say ..

you’re going to go 3-13 because Cooper Rush is your QB

oh, you meant we would find a leprechaun sleeping under a tree and when we took his pot of gold he would trade us a Magic Mahomes to get it back?

min that case, sign me up!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Lol. The Cowboys aren't going to shop Dak. Y'all need to get over that pipe dream. It's not happening. The Cowboys know Dak's worth.

I think so, too. I felt like Carson Wentz set the value for him a while back at $33.5 mil.

Dak probably should have agreed to that by now. Jerry and Stephen seem to concur.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Agree 100%. We don’t need to be Sheep’s and just follow the narrative.
All the greats in every industry bucked the trend.
Jerry was the laughing stock of the league when he hired Jimmy. Don’t fall into paying Dak. Just cut the cord and be thankful .
I would be laughing so hard if Jerry gives Dak 40 mil a year and he ends up being the 3rd best QB in the division behind Wentz and Daniel Jones next year. Jerry has made a big mistake not letting it be known that they will be bringing in some FA QBs to look at. It doesnt matter who you bring in it just tells Dak your preparing for life without him. By the way Dak is demanding so much money it almost sounds like he wants out of Dallas anyways.

dckid

Reaction score
I would be laughing so hard if Jerry gives Dak 40 mil a year and he ends up being the 3rd best QB in the division behind Wentz and Daniel Jones next year. Jerry has made a big mistake not letting it be known that they will be bringing in some FA QBs to look at. It doesnt matter who you bring in it just tells Dak your preparing for life without him. By the way Dak is demanding so much money it almost sounds like he wants out of Dallas anyways.

Maybe Jerry is finally going senile. What are we doing here trying to pay Dak 40 million. If we won the SB like the Ravens did with Flacco we would have to hold our noses and do it.

Just Stop Jerry.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So with Dak's new request of 40 million per year vs 2 million a year for Rush, what can that buy in FA?

2 top tier DT's and a safety?

1 top tier DT, safety and TE?

Basically 3 top tier players (~12.5 million per player).

What would your formula be?
sure, if you are going to go bargain basement with QB position.

will that get you a championship?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You let him go he gets 40m without breaking a sweat. This is Kirk Cousins but bigger. Dak is considered better than Kirk and just had a great year. He goes by choice he gets his money and the team enters a rebuild.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Either way, it's not as if you couldn't match it. The team has first right of refusal on any deal so they can choose to match or they can take the trade.

montgod

Reaction score
I would assume the logic being used by them is, if I do nothing then you franchise me for 33m then 39m then sign a 43m dollar contract at least so if that is the case (and the new CBA has the cap exploding), why would he settle for a deal that pays on average less than he would get in 2 years just doing nothing and to get him longer why would he not want the money he knows he will get anyway.

Last I looked, franchise was around 28-29 mill so he'd lose out and still have to prove himself this year and go through all this again next summer. It would go up again next year, but his performance this upcoming year would tell you if he is worth keeping or not. Starting to remind me of the Cousins' situation with the Skins.

montgod

Reaction score
I fully agree and would be afraid they wouldn't even be able to navigate a trade and get equal value if that were the case. I do doubt though that they know his worth or they would have signed him last year instead of waiting to re-sign him and Cooper. It's called piss poor planning when you don't have a GM with a true NFL/football mind.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree with your point about QB's to a degree. The team definitely should have been drafting QB's along the way hoping to groom someone for when Romo was too old, and fortunately they got Dak before the position hit rock bottom, but when Romo was younger, like Dak, they couldn't spend top draft picks on what is certainly going to be a backup situation. There are too many other areas a team needs to address to use that kind of draft capital on a backup.

I think QB's are already held to a higher degree of responsibility than other positions, so I think what you are suggesting on that front is already the case. That's why QB's across the NFL are the highest paid players.

As far as QB's forcing these kinds of deals, these kinds of deals aren't just on the QB, they are also on the teams who have been willing to cough up big money for QB's. At it's core, it's simply supply and demand economics. Teams don't think there are a lot of high quality QBs to go around, so they are willing to compete against each other for the rights to the one's they believe are quality QB's, and that drives up the price.

As for where we are at this point, I don't even go there because there are so many unsubstantiated reports, and there have been for a long time, so I just don't bite on it. I doubt very much Dak is expecting $40 million per year with guarantees that blow significantly past what Goff, Wentz and Wilson signed for, but I can't claim to know. I agree with you, however, that if it proves that he is asking for something like that it would put him in a bad light.

But don't you see, that's why I think it's fine for the Cowboys to take a stand on how they wish to spend cap. Yes, teams have facilitated the problem we see with QBs in the past but at some point, you have to right that ship. It's a very bad model IMO. Paying the next guy up a record deal simply because he is the next guy up? That's horrible business.

kskboys

Reaction score

Dak and Brissett are polar opposites. Not a good comparison.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is being looked at all wrong. It's not about the salary of one player. It's about paying several stars so much that you have to settle for the Chaz Green's of the NFL as backups. When someone gets hurt, and someone will get hurt, that weakness will help you lose.

38 mil buys you a deep DLine rotation so in the 4th quarter, the opposing OL is tired and will get swamped by the fresh guys you are rotating in. To be specific, 38 mil buys you Jimmie Jones, Kevin Gogan, Jim Jeffcoat, Bernie Kosar, Thomas Everett, and Kelvin Martin.

A huge reason we won 3 super bowls in 4 years was simply due to that being possibly the deepest team ever assembled.

Adreme

Reaction score
Maybe, but I doubt it. Either way, it's not as if you couldn't match it. The team has first right of refusal on any deal so they can choose to match or they can take the trade.

Oh if its the franchise tag teams would just wait 2 years like with Kirk. He said let him walk which is entirely different. There is no reason for Dak to not just wait 2 years under the tag if that is the case because he will make more after.