38 million a year, what can that buy?

Adreme

Reaction score
Well, if he doesn't sign, then he doesn't get credit for a season played and he finds himself right back where he is now at the start of the next season.

If he signs right before week 1 then who is going to trade for a QB mid season who says he will not sign an extension and he gets his season and still gets paid full value.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If he signs right before week 1 then who is going to trade for a QB mid season who says he will not sign an extension and he gets his season and still gets paid full value.

Nobody, which is why you let him go find a team that will meet his demands. Then, when nobody does, you sign him to a more reasonable deal.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So with Dak's new request of 40 million per year vs 2 million a year for Rush, what can that buy in FA?

2 top tier DT's and a safety?

1 top tier DT, safety and TE?

Basically 3 top tier players (~12.5 million per player).

What would your formula be?
If you are going from Prescott to Rush, that 38 million is buying you a 3-13 season

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Even if this is true, it's part of Dak's team's negotiation to force the Cowboys to meet them halfway between the Cowboys offer ($33 mil/yr) and Dak's demand ($40 mil/yr). They will likely settle halfway around $36 - $37 mil/year, thus making Dak the highest paid QB in the league until Mahomes and Watson reset the record later this season with their upcoming new contracts.

"I still want 40" isn't really a counter offer, it's a reiteration of Dak's most extreme demand.

Sounds like a big gap they've made no progress in closing. Time for a tag, then shop Dak in free agency, shop for free agent QBs, and see if we can make a better deal.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You make a very valid point that some have been saying for a very long time even going back to last season.

Basically it boils down to does the owner trust his GM & Front office/Coaching staff to run a replacement level player for Dak.
My guess is a real coach like Bill B, Parcells, name any great would not let Dak bully them into some outrageous contract.
If you are paying your QB and its obvious it should not take two seasons.
Place the tag on him that will allow him to go sell himself and get two first rounders or even a 1st and second. Bite the bullet get Keenum because honestly we are not winning the SB next year.
Let McCarthy get his legs establish this offense. Pay Cooper & Jones, bring in talent at DT, DE, Safety and let the rising tide lift the team.
We finally have a competent coach, let him go find a diamond in the rough.
There will be bargains in the QB market this off season. Don't be stupid and over pay.

Jerry shouldn't have let himself get rolled by Zeke. Bad contract with Zeke, bad precedent to let himself get rolled. Makes coming to terms with Dak harder.

The problem all along is that I don't think Dak has ever faced the prospect of no longer being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys, and all that such a loss would entail, personally and financially. Jerry and Stephen just keep saying "he's our guy", so all Dak is contemplating is more or less money with the Cowboys. Naturally, he prefers more.

I expect there are some QBs out there who see all the benefits of being QB of the Dallas Cowboys and will *value* them appropriately in contract negotiations.

Tag Dak and flip The Narrative:
"We're looking for the best value deal we can get for the success of the Dallas Cowboys, including trade deals for Dak. Everything is on the table to improve the team."

Adreme

Reaction score
Nobody, which is why you let him go find a team that will meet his demands. Then, when nobody does, you sign him to a more reasonable deal.

You let him go he gets 40m without breaking a sweat. This is Kirk Cousins but bigger. Dak is considered better than Kirk and just had a great year. He goes by choice he gets his money and the team enters a rebuild.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, I totally understand. Just trying to point out the Pros and Cons, like you. I don't think Brady is the future, were he to come here. Brady, or somebody like Brady, would represent the best chance going forward for the team to compete for a championship.

To your point about Romo and his replacements that would eventually go 4-12, the mistake we made there was the same mistake we've been making for years. We didn't address the QB issue, beyond the starter and when **** hit the fan, we were caught with our pants down. We've basically treated the QB position like this for 20 years. It's stupid but if you are forced to pay QBs record deals, with no regard for actual production, that's what you end up doing because the situation kinda dictates it. I get your point about QBs not deserving all of the blame or credit but as I discussed earlier with Idgit, it's a production thing. If QBs are going to force these kinds of deals, for no other reason then being next man up, then they are going to be held accountable and responsible for wins and loses. The salary prevents the front office from improving the team as much as it could if they weren't spending so much on the QB position. That's just a reality so any QB who takes the money is going to be held responsible, no matter what.

Now, if Dak were to allow for a lessor deal, provide the team with a bit more reasonable contract, that changes the dynamics of this discussion 100%. He is no longer viewed as the reason the team wins or loses primarily. That's the give and take of this right? So you gotta make a choice. Are you actually interested in winning or are you looking at this as a job?

If we are all being honest, a deal for Dak that probably puts him in a good light, looks like 165 for 5 years, 33 annually, 99 guaranteed, 66 fully guaranteed at signing. I mean, that's a good deal for anybody and it creates a perception. But you start talking about 35/40 for three years, that creates a very different perception and that's kinda where we are at, at this point.
I agree with your point about QB's to a degree. The team definitely should have been drafting QB's along the way hoping to groom someone for when Romo was too old, and fortunately they got Dak before the position hit rock bottom, but when Romo was younger, like Dak, they couldn't spend top draft picks on what is certainly going to be a backup situation. There are too many other areas a team needs to address to use that kind of draft capital on a backup.

I think QB's are already held to a higher degree of responsibility than other positions, so I think what you are suggesting on that front is already the case. That's why QB's across the NFL are the highest paid players.

As far as QB's forcing these kinds of deals, these kinds of deals aren't just on the QB, they are also on the teams who have been willing to cough up big money for QB's. At it's core, it's simply supply and demand economics. Teams don't think there are a lot of high quality QBs to go around, so they are willing to compete against each other for the rights to the one's they believe are quality QB's, and that drives up the price.

As for where we are at this point, I don't even go there because there are so many unsubstantiated reports, and there have been for a long time, so I just don't bite on it. I doubt very much Dak is expecting $40 million per year with guarantees that blow significantly past what Goff, Wentz and Wilson signed for, but I can't claim to know. I agree with you, however, that if it proves that he is asking for something like that it would put him in a bad light.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Gotcha, so maybe 1 S and 1 DT.

Then the next question would be is that enough to make up the difference between Dak and Rush?
Absolutely not, people forget what this team was without Romo and Dak

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Let’s start with the draft picks that it gets you, maybe two 1’s but I think most of us would agree that we’d take a first and a third as long as that first is in this year’s draft.

With the money, we’d need to sign a stopgap quarterback since Tua, Easton, Love or Herbert. The ideal would be Tom Brady on a one or two year rental for $25M per year. Next, I sign Chris Harris Jr and resign Robert Quinn. Goodbye Byron Jones, you’re not worth $15M per year.

starcity214

Reaction score
You let him go he gets 40m without breaking a sweat. This is Kirk Cousins but bigger. Dak is considered better than Kirk and just had a great year. He goes by choice he gets his money and the team enters a rebuild.

What team will give Dak 40M ?

Funny that you bring Cousins up because by now, everyone knows you don't break the bank on a "good" QB because as we've seen, it's just not worth it.. keenum has had as much success as cousins if not more..

The ONLY way you pay that much is if the player is a difference maker and both Dak and Cousins are not. Minnesota was stuoid for paying him that much, coukd have had same results with Keenum for a cheaper deal.

Again, what team would pay Dak 40 M?

starcity214

Reaction score
Let’s start with the draft picks that it gets you, maybe two 1’s but I think most of us would agree that we’d take a first and a third as long as that first is in this year’s draft.

With the money, we’d need to sign a stopgap quarterback since Tua, Easton, Love or Herbert. The ideal would be Tom Brady on a one or two year rental for $25M per year. Next, I sign Chris Harris Jr and resign Robert Quinn. Goodbye Byron Jones, you’re not worth $15M per year.

If only our GM was as smart as you.
The fact that some fans gave a better grasp of what's best for our team is sad.

Bigdog

Reaction score
There really is no chance of that as Dak is going to get franchised if he wants too much money.
Don’t squash my hopes. It’s all I got. ( I know it will not happen. I have read where this is the first qb for Dak’s agent and he is also Burrows agent. So he is trying to make a name for himself with the qbs).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don’t squash my hopes. It’s all I got. ( I know it will not happen. I have read where this is the first qb for Dak’s agent and he is also Burrows agent. So he is trying to make a name for himself with the qbs).

I dont disagree with the agent. They want a 4 year deal so they can get a brand new contract 4 years from now when QB salaries are over 40 million. Cowboys want it longer so they get a huge bargain after the 2nd year.

I would do the same thing if I was Dak. Happens all the time in other sports. Heck Lebron goes on year to year just so he can get the new max every year.

dckid

Reaction score

Funny that you bring Cousins up because by now, everyone knows you don't break the bank on a "good" QB because as we've seen, it's just not worth it.. keenum has had as much success as cousins if not more..

The ONLY way you pay that much is if the player is a difference maker and both Dak and Cousins are not. Minnesota was stuoid for paying him that much, coukd have had same results with Keenum for a cheaper deal.

Agree 100%. We don’t need to be Sheep’s and just follow the narrative.
All the greats in every industry bucked the trend.
Jerry was the laughing stock of the league when he hired Jimmy. Don’t fall into paying Dak. Just cut the cord and be thankful .

Adreme

Reaction score

Colts instantly because they are right now the team that is one QB away from having real SB aspirations. Raiders, Bucs and Titans take a long look but they might have cap issues (plus I think the Titans are not as good as they think they are).

Teams like Miami and Cinci already have a high pick so they do not need to (and are in rebuild but in Cincis case it might be worth it so they can grab Young). I have no clue what Washington is up to, but if Alex Smith does not come back they do not have a QB on the roster because Haskins was not that good. They though also are a draft or 2 away from wanting to buy a QB to contend.

The other team to keep an eye on is Carolina. They are probably done with Newton due to injuries and are a QB away from well being in the discussion.

You say the Vikings showed why you should not but the Vikings showed why you should. They are a contending team right now because they have a guy who can do it. Dak is a class beyond Kirk, he is more around where Wentz is (Wentz is better when healthy is healthy less so it evens out) and certainly better than Goff, but that isnt really important. The important thing is is Dak one of the 12-16 guys who can lead your team to a SB? If he is good enough to do that (note not every that is good enough has of course) then he needs to be signed because without that QB you are not making it past the divisional round. At all.

Why do you think SF went out and spent a fortune on the Patriots backup? Because without him they are drafting number 2 and with him they are in the Super Bowl. THAT is the difference between having the guy and not. Right now the Cowboys have that guy and no one on the market is one of those guys so without Dak the window is closed.