Drafted by Cowboys 3rd Round, Pick 90 - Cowboys Draft G Connor McGovern Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
It just doesn’t make much sense.

We are drafting a backup like we have a loaded roster.

They also used up more than 20% of their visits in Safeties and just let them all go off the board when they could have grabbed one.

It makes perfect sense if you understand finance and contracts. La'el Collins has been a good player, but he's not worth a big long-term deal next year when his contract expires. With the Cowboys already heavily invested in Smith, Frederick and Martin, they need a replacement for Collins at Right Tackle. The logical solution is to move Connor Williams, who played Left Tackle in College, over to Right Tackle, and insert Connor McGovern at Left Guard. Alternatively, In the meantime, work McGovern at both Guard and Center, just in case Frederick doesn't come back strong. Finally, with how well Joe Looney played last season, the Cowboys might be able to garner trade interest in training camp for Looney, if both Frederick and McGovern are completely healthy.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Im sure you're smart enough to know the rep comes from maximizing production out of lesser talent such as Henry Melton for example.
Melton had 1 good season on a stacked bears defense. Only played 6 seasons and was out of the league. You are reaching. Maliek collins had 6 sacks his first year then Rod moved him to 1T

dfense

Reaction score
I'm excited. It's official. La'il is a fai'l at RT. He's got slow feet. Either they are unhappy with him or Williams at LG. Probably want Williams to challenge Collins for RT spot.

RT needed an upgrade, thankfully it seems coaches agree.

CWR

Reaction score
Melton had 1 good season on a stacked bears defense. Only played 6 seasons and was out of the league. You are reaching. Maliek collins had 6 sacks his first year then Rod moved him to 1T

Hes taken subpar players and gotten production time and time again. I think if anything he falters in his ability to identify and seek real talent. Its almost as if he prefers be dealt a crappy hand. It doesn't start and end with Melton, you know that.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Hes taken subpar players and gotten production time and time again. I think if anything he falters in his ability to identify and seek real talent. Its almost as if he prefers be dealt a crappy hand. It doesn't start and end with Melton, you know that.
How about randy gregory? Greg hardy? David Irving? Ty Craw? Maliek Collins? Charles Tapper? Taco? Joey Ivie who he jumped up and down for? There's way more bad out there then good my friend. Marinelli sucks.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would you move the best G in football to T? Wasn't C Will a T in college. Put it this way drafting C McG gives them future options :)

They did the same with Larry Allen... Who at the time was the best guard in football.

Martin was a LT at ND, so he does have experience at OT.

But, we'll see how it plays out.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm excited. It's official. La'il is a fai'l at RT. He's got slow feet. Either they are unhappy with him or Williams at LG. Probably want Williams to challenge Collins for RT spot.

RT needed an upgrade, thankfully it seems coaches agree.

I don’t think this indicates he is a fail, though he is lower quality than other Cowboy O-Linemen (which isn’t really a knock given the quality of Martin, Smith and Frederick if healthy). I think what it means is they already have a ton of money wrapped up in O-Line, and they don’t want to add to that by paying Collins a big contract when his expires after the season.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How about randy gregory? Greg hardy? David Irving? Ty Craw? Maliek Collins? Charles Tapper? Taco? Joey Ivie who he jumped up and down for? There's way more bad out there then good my friend. Marinelli sucks.
Gregory, Hardy and Irving failed by their own doing, and Tapper had a health problem that kept us from seeing if he had a chance to develop. Collins has been a solid player for his draft status. I think Taco was just a lousy pick.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Gregory, Hardy and Irving failed by their own doing, and Tapper had a health problem that kept us from seeing if he had a chance to develop. Collins has been a solid player for his draft status. I think Taco was just a lousy pick.
But where are all these guru players I keep hearing about that he took bums and made them pro bowlers? I can't seem to find them can you help me?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But where are all these guru players I keep hearing about that he took bums and made them pro bowlers? I can't seem to find them can you help me?

Somebody said he turned a bum into a Pro Bowler? If so, that’s nonsense. What he’s done is good job of making do with what he’s been given. Like with Woods last year, and McLain and Mayowa in 2016. D-Line hasn’t been a big draft priority for the Cowboys.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Somebody said he turned a bum into a Pro Bowler? If so, that’s nonsense. What he’s done is good job of making do with what he’s been given. Like with Woods last year, and McLain and Mayowa in 2016. D-Line hasn’t been a big draft priority for the Cowboys.
They were all jags lol. who made little to no impact

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They were all jags lol. who made little to no impact

Did you somehow think by “making do with what he was given” I meant they were standout talents making a huge impact under Marinelli? Of course they were jags, but Marinelli got value out of them that other teams didn’t. If you are expecting him to take jags and turn them into stars that’s completely unrealistic.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Did you somehow think by “making do with what he was given” I meant they were standout talents making a huge impact under Marinelli? Of course they were jags, but Marinelli got value out of them that other teams didn’t. If you are expecting him to take jags and turn them into stars that’s completely unrealistic.
what value they came in as jags and left as jags.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what value they came in as jags and left as jags.

Again, you seem to think he had to turn them into stars to get value. You don’t seem to understand a team gets and needs value from more than just the stars. 6 sacks from Mayowa was value, and it was the best any team has got from him in his 5-6 year career, and the best on the Cowboys that season. McClain and Woods added some size and stability to the interior D-Line that the Cowboys didn’t have before and wouldn’t have had without them. They weren’t stars, but they contributed in the role they were asked to play, and like with Mayowa, to a degree other teams haven’t gotten from them.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Again, you seem to think he had to turn them into stars to get value. You don’t seem to understand a team gets and needs value from more than just the stars. 6 sacks from Mayowa was value, and it was the best any team has got from him in his 5-6 year career, and the best on the Cowboys that season. McClain and Woods added some size and stability to the interior D-Line that the Cowboys didn’t have before and wouldn’t have had without them. They weren’t stars, but they contributed in the role they were asked to play, and like with Mayowa, to a degree other teams haven’t gotten from them.
what did mayowa do in his second year with us? if you don't elevate players you are not a guru like marinelli claims to be.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what did mayowa do in his second year with us? if you don't elevate players you are not a guru like marinelli claims to be.

He sat on the bench because the team had a better situation at DE than the year before.

Status
Not open for further replies.