Drafted by Cowboys 3rd Round - Pick 90 - LB Demarvion Overshown (Texas)

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yea, but honestly the fans are more right about the draft then not.
Even with the Cowboys, there is a lot of support around the players. Get this, I don't think for a minute, this doesn't (for the hearing impaired - does) include Jerry Jones. Hey, if one's 'panties' just got wet....CHANGE them!

jaybird

Reaction score

DeMarvion Overshown LB/H-Safety Texas​

by Drew Boylhart • January 25, 2023​

STRENGTHS
DeMarvion is the new “cover hybrid linebacker safety” with the athletic skills of a receiver. He is also a good tackler and has the instincts, and high football IQ to make plays all over the field. DeMarvion shows the leadership skills and communication talent to be a leader for your defense. He shows the burst to the ball, the chase-down speed, and the quickness needed to be a playmaker. DeMarvion has the wing span of an Albatross and that makes him very disruptive in coverage and when using him blitzing or on the line of scrimmage as a pass rusher. He’s a 6’4” quick-twitch athlete, who can play multiple positions on your defense and is a playmaker. The Albatross is coming to the NFL in the form of DeMarvion Overshown.
CONCERNS
DeMarvion right now is not a great pass rusher when used coming off the edge. He lacks the hand techniques and ability to shed blocks and strength to hold the edge. Nevertheless, his speed and quickness along with his long arms and long stride will scare the crap out of most quarterbacks into making bad decisions. Because of DeMarvion’s long Albatross-like arms and lack of techniques he struggles to get off blocks and make tackles. Once again DeMarvion is an excellent open-field tackler and in a defense that keeps him free to make tackles, he will impact.
BOTTOM LINE: 1.47
The truth is, DeMarvion is a hell of a football player and that is all you really need to know about him. He reminds me a lot of the Charges Derwin James, who I consider one of the top five players in the 2018 draft and everyone told me I was crazy. Derwin was the 17th pick in that draft and I wonder if DeMarvion will go that high because he is listed as a linebacker and unless a team uses a 4/2/5 defense, I’m not sure Coaches will see how DeMarvion fits into their schemes and this could affect his draft status. I don’t worry about schemes when it comes to the draft unless I think a player is limited to a scheme to impact. DeMarvion is not limited to a scheme to impact. He is a multi-scheme, multi-position player who can impact and help run your defense on the field. The real question is, how will the team that selects him use him? For me, the answer to that question is…all over the dam field in a different spot on every down and distance.
i understand the pick. A Jalen. Hurt and the like SPY

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I guess with this Overshown pick, we know how they feel about Cox now. I wonder what Cox did wrong?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Overshown, a former safety, is extremely athletic and was one of the best pure athletes in the entire draft class. His RAS score of 8.18 was in the top 18% of all linebackers drafted from 1987-2023...
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ed-linebacker-demarvion-overshown-third-round

Dane Brugler of The Athletic had Overshown ranked as his eighth linebacker. Here’s what Brugler had to say about the newest Cowboy.

A three-year starter at Texas, Overshown played the SAM linebacker position in defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski’s 4-3 base scheme. After moving from defensive back to linebacker under Chris Ash in 2020, he learned a new scheme under Kwiatkowski in 2021 and expanded his role as more of an edge presence in 2022. Overshown has the frame of a lean, oversized safety and creates plays with his sideline-to-sideline range and attacking mentality. A see-ball, get-ball type of player, he diagnoses well and keeps his eyes locked on the ball carrier, but not the climbing blocker ahead of him and will struggle to sift through traffic. Overall, Overshown must continue developing his strength and awareness within the flow of the play, but he has above-average speed to be an energetic run-and-hit pursuit player with upside in coverage. He projects as core NFL special teamer and subpackage rush/drop linebacker.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Carson

Reaction score
I guess with this Overshown pick, we know how they feel about Cox now. I wonder what Cox did wrong?
Doesn’t grasp the defense.

1 step forward and 2 steps back per Broaddus

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Doubt it's the case here, but I've wondered for years why they didn't try and replicate the Darren Woodson move, take a undersized (for the NFL) linebacker, with good speed, and make him a safety.

Maybe that's the plan with this guy?

One can only hope...