Drafted by Cowboys 3rd Round - Pick 90 - LB Demarvion Overshown (Texas)

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Several had the tight end rated in the 70s. We took him at 58. Mazi was rated in 30s. We took him at 26. Overshown was rated right about where we took him and some had him in the 80s.
Cool and Tyler Smith was rated a 3rd rounder last year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cool and Tyler Smith was rated a 3rd rounder last year.
Yeah, I don't really care about the ratings, but some do. Teams do all the legwork to figure out who they want to take. Dallas ID'd Mazi as a player it wanted in the first round. Could be completely wrong about him, but they did their homework and they took him. I have no problem with that.

When they miss on picks, though, like they did with Taco, they deserve to be criticized for it because it is their job to find the best players. It's not fair to expect them always to succeed at it, but that is their job. I don't care if they take the so-called 100th-best player first if that player succeeds. That just means the scouting department did a great job identifying him as a player when all the draft gurus out there could not.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

DeMarvion Overshown LB/H-Safety Texas​

by Drew Boylhart • January 25, 2023​

STRENGTHS
DeMarvion is the new “cover hybrid linebacker safety” with the athletic skills of a receiver. He is also a good tackler and has the instincts, and high football IQ to make plays all over the field. DeMarvion shows the leadership skills and communication talent to be a leader for your defense. He shows the burst to the ball, the chase-down speed, and the quickness needed to be a playmaker. DeMarvion has the wing span of an Albatross and that makes him very disruptive in coverage and when using him blitzing or on the line of scrimmage as a pass rusher. He’s a 6’4” quick-twitch athlete, who can play multiple positions on your defense and is a playmaker. The Albatross is coming to the NFL in the form of DeMarvion Overshown.
CONCERNS
DeMarvion right now is not a great pass rusher when used coming off the edge. He lacks the hand techniques and ability to shed blocks and strength to hold the edge. Nevertheless, his speed and quickness along with his long arms and long stride will scare the crap out of most quarterbacks into making bad decisions. Because of DeMarvion’s long Albatross-like arms and lack of techniques he struggles to get off blocks and make tackles. Once again DeMarvion is an excellent open-field tackler and in a defense that keeps him free to make tackles, he will impact.
BOTTOM LINE: 1.47
The truth is, DeMarvion is a hell of a football player and that is all you really need to know about him. He reminds me a lot of the Charges Derwin James, who I consider one of the top five players in the 2018 draft and everyone told me I was crazy. Derwin was the 17th pick in that draft and I wonder if DeMarvion will go that high because he is listed as a linebacker and unless a team uses a 4/2/5 defense, I’m not sure Coaches will see how DeMarvion fits into their schemes and this could affect his draft status. I don’t worry about schemes when it comes to the draft unless I think a player is limited to a scheme to impact. DeMarvion is not limited to a scheme to impact. He is a multi-scheme, multi-position player who can impact and help run your defense on the field. The real question is, how will the team that selects him use him? For me, the answer to that question is…all over the dam field in a different spot on every down and distance.
Sounds like a Quinn type of guy. Quinn wants a strong DL, ability to create pass rush and a bunch long, fast player roaming in the back, either hurry up throws or interceptions.

With parson, this guy, Clark, Wilson and rest of safeties we have players that can attack the line in run support, pass rush and drop I to coverage. It will allow Quinn to disguise who is coming and who is dropping and who is blitzing.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why do I feel we were a round early on all of our picks :confused:
Just like when we drafted Freddie for center. You take the best pic available at the start of the next round. Late in the prior round.

vicjagger

Reaction score
He would be a good pick in the 4th, excellent a round later.

Your 3rd round pick should be a starter.

Fun player, poor value.

CCBoy

Reaction score

In the third round, with the 90th pick in the 2023 NFL draft, the Dallas Cowboys selected linebacker DeMarvion Overshown from the University of Texas. With the defense short at LB, Overshown can step in and compete for snaps, while contributing on special teams right away.

Overshown was a First-Team All-Big 12 player in his senior season and can do a little bit of everything. He was all over the field for Texas’ defense in 2022, ranking second on the team in tackles with 96, had 10 tfl, five passes defensed and four sacks.

The Cowboys only have two true starting caliber LBs currently on the roster in Leighton Vander Esch and last year’s fifth round pick Damone Clark, so Overshown will be able to earn his way into playing time. After losing LB Luke Gifford in free agency, Dallas filled his role with Overshown, who will battle Jabril Cox for the third LB spot. Overshown will also be expected to play a valuable role on special teams.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/28/cowboys-demarvion-overshown-2023-nfl-draft/

As to his role within the NFC East...he is very good as a QB spy...

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Kam was 6'3 232 and Overshown is 6'4 220 and he originally played safetly. I feel like Overshown is too slender to play LB for long and if he bulks up too much, he'll lose his speed. I can see them moving him back to safety and letting him be an explosive hard hitter
Very likely. Maybe a replacement for Kearse in 2 years and likely a ST maven until then.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Very likely. Maybe a replacement for Kearse in 2 years and likely a ST maven until then.
If personal characteristics change, so will some of his roles. He has a specific role now, and this set of coaches will see to it that his baggage isn't left at the station!

Something about a great DC.