News: 4 Cowboys Fined For Salvation Army Celebration

plymkr

Reaction score
Not to mention a player can "injure" a fan if they leap onto them wrong, but the kettle doesn't cause any harm to any person except the jumper. Makes you wonder which one is more "dangerous" and wrong and should be fined.
100% agree.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
So our players can't jump in the salvation army kettle but the Green Bay players can jump in the stands. Yeah there's no hypocrisy there at all. Why can't we develop our own traditions?

Players from all teams go leaping into the stands all the time. For whatever reason, going to the bucket just not allowed for anyone, I guess. Can't imagine why, but there's really not hypocrisy here, just one rule that is stupid.

plasticman

Reaction score
The whole celebration in the endzone has gotten completely out of hand.

The very first endzone "celebration" has been attributed to "Two-Bits" Homan, a 5'5 145 LB RB of the Frankford Yellowjackets in 1925.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Bits_Homan

Rumors have it that Homan was the first to celebrate a touchdown. On returning a punt for a touchdown, he held onto the ball, shook his teammates' hands and the official's hand before he handed the ball to the official.

plymkr

Reaction score
Players from all teams go leaping into the stands all the time. For whatever reason, going to the bucket just not allowed for anyone, I guess. Can't imagine why, but there's really not hypocrisy here, just one rule that is stupid.
It is a stupid rule. For safety reasons it doesn't make sense. Our guys jump into a kettle. Our players interacting with an inanimate object. No way anyone gets hurt. That's against the rules. Other team's players jump in the stands. There possibility for injury to players and fans. I believe this season someone slapped Kyler Murray when he went into the stands. An opposing team's fan slapped him and Murray went looking for him and his teammates grabbed him. The NFL didn't make a rule about jumping into the crowd after Murray got assaulted but they fine us for jumping into a giant kettle. Last I looked no one has ever been slapped by a salvation army kettle. Makes no sense. The NFL irritates me sometimes.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yeah, pisses me off too, why can't we have more self-promotions. I'm not sure how the NFL made it through the '60s and '70s without this crap. Oh, they just play the game and went home. The game was about the game, not some stupid idiot jumping around like a crackhead. They weren't interviewing for some stupid dancing with the stars or the stupid masked singer crap.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
How dare they have fun playing a game. Oh, Zeke just got suspended for 6 games for their celebration.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Saw a post on Twitter yesterday that the fine proceeds were going to the Salvation Army and that other Cowboys players were going to pitch in for the fines.

Scotman

Reaction score
Oddly, the same prediction was made when Zeke jumped in the kettle (I thought it would be used for promos too) but I don't remember ever seeing any ads featuring the scene.
Perhaps you're right. I'd feel a lot less negative about it if the NFL wasn't going to use it.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Just let this be our Thanksgiving tradition. WIN and get fined for celebrating a good cause.
This is all good for the Cowboys and the Salvation Army...

Well...I don't care 1 way or the other about the celebration debate....but come on...let's not put a insanely cowboy-esque spin on this and act like those players who were obvipusly orchestrating a "Look At Me" moment weren't grandstanding and were instead "celebrating a good cause" LOL.

Those players saw a large object they could use as a prop for their whack-a-mole thing, and used it, and didn't care one bit what it was.

"It was just their way of shedding light on the plight of the homeless, starving, and dying people in war ravaged countries "!!!!

LoL they were grabbing the camera, hogging the spotlight, and being typical immature 20something kids (just like we all prob were at that age)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...owboys-for-salvation-army-bucket-celebration/

he No Fun League strikes again.

Four Cowboys players were fined for their Thanksgiving celebration that incorporated the oversized Salvation Army bucket the NFL and the Cowboys place beyond the end zone.

Cowboys tight ends Dalton Schultz ($13,261), Jake Ferguson ($4,895), Peyton Hendershot ($3,944) and Sean McKeon ($4,994) were all fined, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

The players brought attention to the league’s Salvation Army donation drive, which is the whole reason the bucket is there, but that wasn’t enough to spare them from getting fined.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott said teammates would cover any fines. Technically, that would violate NFL rules, although there’s no real way for the NFL to know if a player quietly gives a teammate money to cover a fine.
I remember Zeke donated an amount equal to the fine to The Salvation Army. I thought it was a good middle finger to the league...

TheCritic

Reaction score
Well...I don't care 1 way or the other about the celebration debate....but come on...let's not put a insanely cowboy-esque spin on this and act like those players who were obvipusly orchestrating a "Look At Me" moment weren't grandstanding and were instead "celebrating a good cause" LOL.

Those players saw a large object they could use as a prop for their whack-a-mole thing, and used it, and didn't care one bit what it was.

"It was just their way of shedding light on the plight of the homeless, starving, and dying people in war ravaged countries "!!!!

LoL they were grabbing the camera, hogging the spotlight, and being typical immature 20something kids (just like we all prob were at that age)
Totally disagree! If this incident triggered you, then maybe you also be offended every time a player spikes a football after a TD.

terra

Reaction score
I can see the point of view about why celebrate, be professional
BUT celebrating scores is about as old as football
The NFL, as usual, comes off as stupid and hypocritical - The Lambeau Leap can actually cause serious injuries but that is fine(and don't give me that horsecrap about it being grandfathered in)
I hope the players keep doing it and Jethro keeps paying the fines; I would like it even more if the players would then donate an equal amount to the Salvation Army as a way to give Goofsmell and the NFL the finger.