4 Reasons the Cowboys Should Sign DeMarco Murray

Sydla

Reaction score
Murray took the offer after Jerry ran him out of Dallas with a lowball offer that was nothing less than an insult.He had even indicated that he was open to negotiation,that he wasn't going to be hardline and would be open to less than market value so the Cowboys could sign more pieces. Later, Jerry claimed he increased the offer but the damage was done. The guy who set the new Cowboy record was totally disrespected.Drafting Zeke was an admission that the Cowboys had blundered and knew it.

Most fans fed into the idea that this was a passing league and RB had much less value than other skill players. But the Super Bowl teams have almost unanimously demonstrated that the key is balance and that requires a productive running game. And to think they let him walk so they would have enough to resign Dez with an average salary of 15 mill per season.

I remember all the talk about how he would never do anything after his great season and, yet, two seasons later he is in the Pro Bowl once again.

Once again, the Cowboys come to the conclusion that untested low round rookie and 2nd year picks are the way to go when Zeke is resting.

I suppose the Eagles regret getting 31 year old RB LaGarrette Blount last season.....6.4 yards a carry in the Super Bowl

They were right to let Murray walk.

The Eagles paid Blount 1.3MM for just one year. You planning on signing Murray for that?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not clinging to past glory, I realize DeMarco isn't the same guy he was in 2014. He doesn't have to be in order to impact the team in a very positive way.

I believe that DeMarco would maximize everything he has left if he were to become a Cowboy again.Most fans believed he was done after the Eagles season but he returned to Pro Bowl stature the following season with 1664 total yards.In fact, DeMarco is Ranked 8th in yards from scrimmage and 9th in scoring over the past two seasons combined.I don't see the drop off despite the fact that he played hurt last season.

Here is 4 ways that DeMarco could make a difference:

1. Cowboy Offensive Line - He Knows These Guys

Know them? Why, he practically raised them! In 2012, DeMarco ran behind an offensive line in which all five starters had never played their particular position in the NFL. Free and Smith had been rotated at the tackle position,Nate Livings, Ryan Cook and Mackenzy Bernadeau started the interior of the line. Murray got beat up that year but the following year they added Fredericks and he received his first Pro Bowl selection. In 2014 they picked up Zack Martin and they both,along with Fredericks and Tyron Smith, received 1st Team All Pro honors during Murray's record breaking season.

Even though he may have struggled elsewhere at time, he should feel far more comfortable with an offensive line that grew up during his years as a Cowboy. Does anyone really see another current Cowboy back capable of replacing Zeke in a short term situation?

2. This Is a Running Team, Remember?

A truly dominant running team always has more than one quality RB, they typically have a second guy capable of starting on a lot of teams and is more than just a change of pace guy that spells the starter for a few downs.When Zeke goes out the already fatigued defense must now face a second assault by a well rested veteran ex-Pro Bowler.Again, Murray doesn't have to have the same skill set but the added experience and familiarity with his team could create additional opportunities for the Cowboys to dominate on the ground

3. DeMarco is an Excellent Receiver

Let's face it. Most of us predict a drop off in the contributions from TE in the passing game. Are those extra receptions coming from a seemingly unimpressive WR corp.? Doubtful. I believe that one of the ongoing strategies of the Cowboys is to develop the receiving skill of Elliot in order to increase his contribution in the passing game.Zeke is a great receiver and so is DeMarco. The Cowboys wouldn't be sacrificing that skill set with Zeke off the field and it is rather imperative that they don't considering Dak's other alternatives.The RB's will be his emergency option in the same way Emmitt Smith and Daryl Johnston was for Aikman.I wouldn't be surprised to see a few special plays with them both in the lineup.

4.The Right Kind of Guy-Good Locker Room Presence

It would be a shock to hear DeMarco's name in an off field incidence.That is far different than the guy the Cowboys went with instead of resigning him.He also adds maturity and this could be a positive influence on the younger players,in particular,his running mate,Ezekiel Elliot.

You make a fine case here, but I think it's all in vain as Murray's actions show two things:

1. He's been in no rush to sign anywhere. That means he's looking to maximize his asking price. The Cowboys won't pay much for a backup. See Alfred Morris.
  2. He's turned down offers to work out for teams (New Orleans) looking for part-time backs, so he views himself as a starter.
It appears he's content to wait for a team to have an injury to a starter do he can come in and be the guy and get paid.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
it isnt up to us, the jones boys and jg would have to want him back.
and they would probably want to pay minimum salary, so he might not want to
play that cheap.
Also he may not want to come back to dallas.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You make a fine case here, but I think it's all in vain as Murray's actions show two things:

1. He's been in no rush to sign anywhere. That means he's looking to maximize his asking price. The Cowboys won't pay much for a backup. See Alfred Morris.
  2. He's turned down offers to work out for teams (New Orleans) looking for part-time backs, so he views himself as a starter.
It appears he's content to wait for a team to have an injury to a starter do he can come in and be the guy and get paid.
Nobody will sign him until after backs start going down with injury and probably not until after opening week where salary guarantees would not be an issue.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Murray took the offer after Jerry ran him out of Dallas with a lowball offer that was nothing less than an insult.He had even indicated that he was open to negotiation,that he wasn't going to be hardline and would be open to less than market value so the Cowboys could sign more pieces. Later, Jerry claimed he increased the offer but the damage was done. The guy who set the new Cowboy record was totally disrespected.Drafting Zeke was an admission that the Cowboys had blundered and knew it.

Most fans fed into the idea that this was a passing league and RB had much less value than other skill players. But the Super Bowl teams have almost unanimously demonstrated that the key is balance and that requires a productive running game. And to think they let him walk so they would have enough to resign Dez with an average salary of 15 mill per season.

I remember all the talk about how he would never do anything after his great season and, yet, two seasons later he is in the Pro Bowl once again.

Once again, the Cowboys come to the conclusion that untested low round rookie and 2nd year picks are the way to go when Zeke is resting.

I suppose the Eagles regret getting 31 year old RB LaGarrette Blount last season.....6.4 yards a carry in the Super Bowl

Or having a 35 year old Sproles on the team for the last 4 season (i know he got hurt last year but check out the other 3 seasons)

Sydla

Reaction score
Or having a 35 year old Sproles on the team for the last 4 season (i know he got hurt last year but check out the other 3 seasons)

Sproles is a much different player than Murray. Sproles isn't a guy that's spent his time slamming his body between the tackles over and over.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Injuries are a real thing in the NFL. I would not mind having a insurance policy Incase something happened to Zeke. If we learned anything from the absence of Zeke a season ago is the threat of a legit RB in the backfield matters not only in production as a runner but also in the passing game with making the game easier for our QB.

With that said ive heard Demarco say he was never coming back to Dallas. So even if we wanted him he may explore other opportunities.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Sproles is a much different player than Murray. Sproles isn't a guy that's spent his time slamming his body between the tackles over and over.
Murray still caught 40 balls last year and scored 7 TD's, players aren't washed up as soon as they hit the age of 30 (besides Murray played hurt alot last season and it affected his numbers), is Demarco the same player he was a couple of seasons ago? of course not but he can still play and I think he would be great coming off the bench plus i bet he could fill in nicely as a starter for a few games if he had too and his veteren influence and leadership on this team and young offence would be great to have. I am not advocating we go out and sign him but i would have no issues if we did and the price was right

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Won’t be enough touches available vs DM’s probable asking price.

The guy he would be competing with for the backup RB job is Rod Smith, so if they were to sign him you would assume it would be Smith who gets cut, so they save 700K by cutting Smith, now if they could get Murray for say 2m per season, it's only costing them 1.3m more than Smith, so if you like Murray the question then becomes is he it worth 1.3m more on your cap to have Murray or to keep Smith, in that scenario i would take Murray over Smith because he is a much more polished receiver and a far superior blocker, which means he could be used in more packages when you want to give Elliot a break...just saying. I also like Smith but i would take a 30 year old Murray over Smith anyday especially knowing i drafted a bull like Bo Scarborough, if i needed a short yardage back

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
No thanks.....I would much rather see what Jackson and Bo can do at this point.