4 Reasons the Cowboys Should Sign DeMarco Murray

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I'm not clinging to past glory, I realize DeMarco isn't the same guy he was in 2014. He doesn't have to be in order to impact the team in a very positive way.

I believe that DeMarco would maximize everything he has left if he were to become a Cowboy again.Most fans believed he was done after the Eagles season but he returned to Pro Bowl stature the following season with 1664 total yards.In fact, DeMarco is Ranked 8th in yards from scrimmage and 9th in scoring over the past two seasons combined.I don't see the drop off despite the fact that he played hurt last season.

Here is 4 ways that DeMarco could make a difference:

1. Cowboy Offensive Line - He Knows These Guys

Know them? Why, he practically raised them! In 2012, DeMarco ran behind an offensive line in which all five starters had never played their particular position in the NFL. Free and Smith had been rotated at the tackle position,Nate Livings, Ryan Cook and Mackenzy Bernadeau started the interior of the line. Murray got beat up that year but the following year they added Fredericks and he received his first Pro Bowl selection. In 2014 they picked up Zack Martin and they both,along with Fredericks and Tyron Smith, received 1st Team All Pro honors during Murray's record breaking season.

Even though he may have struggled elsewhere at time, he should feel far more comfortable with an offensive line that grew up during his years as a Cowboy. Does anyone really see another current Cowboy back capable of replacing Zeke in a short term situation?

2. This Is a Running Team, Remember?

A truly dominant running team always has more than one quality RB, they typically have a second guy capable of starting on a lot of teams and is more than just a change of pace guy that spells the starter for a few downs.When Zeke goes out the already fatigued defense must now face a second assault by a well rested veteran ex-Pro Bowler.Again, Murray doesn't have to have the same skill set but the added experience and familiarity with his team could create additional opportunities for the Cowboys to dominate on the ground

3. DeMarco is an Excellent Receiver

Let's face it. Most of us predict a drop off in the contributions from TE in the passing game. Are those extra receptions coming from a seemingly unimpressive WR corp.? Doubtful. I believe that one of the ongoing strategies of the Cowboys is to develop the receiving skill of Elliot in order to increase his contribution in the passing game.Zeke is a great receiver and so is DeMarco. The Cowboys wouldn't be sacrificing that skill set with Zeke off the field and it is rather imperative that they don't considering Dak's other alternatives.The RB's will be his emergency option in the same way Emmitt Smith and Daryl Johnston was for Aikman.I wouldn't be surprised to see a few special plays with them both in the lineup.

4.The Right Kind of Guy-Good Locker Room Presence

It would be a shock to hear DeMarco's name in an off field incidence.That is far different than the guy the Cowboys went with instead of resigning him.He also adds maturity and this could be a positive influence on the younger players,in particular,his running mate,Ezekiel Elliot.
As arguably one of the biggest Demarco supporters from recent history, I can confidently say....... No.

GenoT

Reaction score
The guy he would be competing with for the backup RB job is Rod Smith, so if they were to sign him you would assume it would be Smith who gets cut, so they save 700K by cutting Smith, now if they could get Murray for say 2m per season, it's only costing them 1.3m more than Smith, so if you like Murray the question then becomes is he it worth 1.3m more on your cap to have Murray or to keep Smith, in that scenario i would take Murray over Smith because he is a much more polished receiver and a far superior blocker, which means he could be used in more packages when you want to give Elliot a break...just saying. I also like Smith but i would take a 30 year old Murray over Smith anyday especially knowing i drafted a bull like Bo Scarborough, if i needed a short yardage back

Not a bad scenario, but here’s three potential problems...

1) At 30yo, this is Murray’s absolute last chance for anything remotely resembling a good-$$, multi-year deal.
2) Murray obviously doesn’t see himself as a backup, otherwise he’d most likely have signed somewhere already.
3) Unless he gets desperate, which won’t happen for at least another month or so, I doubt Murray would even come to the phone in early July for $2mil per.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He signed with the Eagles. He can take eating advice from Cole Beasley as far as I’m concerned.

God forbid a player, in line for what would be his first and only giant payday, goes with the highest bidder.

Yes, let's preach financial stupidity.

Some of y'all love to jump on guys for being stupid with their money. Now we see a player making the best financial move possible and you find a reason to trash him anyway.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
God forbid a player, in line for what would be his first and only giant payday, goes with the highest bidder.

Yes, let's preach financial stupidity.

Some of y'all love to jump on guys for being stupid with their money. Now we see a player making the best financial move possible and you find a reason to trash him anyway.

Welcome him back with open arms if you care to.

But Murray reportedly turned down a better paying offer from OAK in order to play for the Eagles, IIRC. Which would turn your own argument against you, if true. I believe DeMarco was the one who reported it.

And I 100% trash any Cowboy who takes less to play for a division rival if by ‘trashing’ we’re talking about not wanting him back in Dallas.

Sydla

Reaction score
The guy he would be competing with for the backup RB job is Rod Smith, so if they were to sign him you would assume it would be Smith who gets cut, so they save 700K by cutting Smith, now if they could get Murray for say 2m per season, it's only costing them 1.3m more than Smith, so if you like Murray the question then becomes is he it worth 1.3m more on your cap to have Murray or to keep Smith, in that scenario i would take Murray over Smith because he is a much more polished receiver and a far superior blocker, which means he could be used in more packages when you want to give Elliot a break...just saying. I also like Smith but i would take a 30 year old Murray over Smith anyday especially knowing i drafted a bull like Bo Scarborough, if i needed a short yardage back

Murray planning on playing special teams? Because Smith does. He logged over 250 special teams snaps last year.

Murray is a guy who will command too much money to be a backup and likely won’t play special teams.

And your point on Sproles is misguided. Sproles, at his age survives because he has never really taken consistent punishment as a full time TB.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I will say this, there have been QB's drafted much higher than Dak that would have loved to have played that well in their first 2 seasons. Lets see how Dak does in year 3. I'd settle for somewhere between year 1 and year 2.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not clinging to past glory, I realize DeMarco isn't the same guy he was in 2014. He doesn't have to be in order to impact the team in a very positive way.

I believe that DeMarco would maximize everything he has left if he were to become a Cowboy again.Most fans believed he was done after the Eagles season but he returned to Pro Bowl stature the following season with 1664 total yards.In fact, DeMarco is Ranked 8th in yards from scrimmage and 9th in scoring over the past two seasons combined.I don't see the drop off despite the fact that he played hurt last season.

Here is 4 ways that DeMarco could make a difference:

1. Cowboy Offensive Line - He Knows These Guys

Know them? Why, he practically raised them! In 2012, DeMarco ran behind an offensive line in which all five starters had never played their particular position in the NFL. Free and Smith had been rotated at the tackle position,Nate Livings, Ryan Cook and Mackenzy Bernadeau started the interior of the line. Murray got beat up that year but the following year they added Fredericks and he received his first Pro Bowl selection. In 2014 they picked up Zack Martin and they both,along with Fredericks and Tyron Smith, received 1st Team All Pro honors during Murray's record breaking season.

Even though he may have struggled elsewhere at time, he should feel far more comfortable with an offensive line that grew up during his years as a Cowboy. Does anyone really see another current Cowboy back capable of replacing Zeke in a short term situation?

2. This Is a Running Team, Remember?

A truly dominant running team always has more than one quality RB, they typically have a second guy capable of starting on a lot of teams and is more than just a change of pace guy that spells the starter for a few downs.When Zeke goes out the already fatigued defense must now face a second assault by a well rested veteran ex-Pro Bowler.Again, Murray doesn't have to have the same skill set but the added experience and familiarity with his team could create additional opportunities for the Cowboys to dominate on the ground

3. DeMarco is an Excellent Receiver

Let's face it. Most of us predict a drop off in the contributions from TE in the passing game. Are those extra receptions coming from a seemingly unimpressive WR corp.? Doubtful. I believe that one of the ongoing strategies of the Cowboys is to develop the receiving skill of Elliot in order to increase his contribution in the passing game.Zeke is a great receiver and so is DeMarco. The Cowboys wouldn't be sacrificing that skill set with Zeke off the field and it is rather imperative that they don't considering Dak's other alternatives.The RB's will be his emergency option in the same way Emmitt Smith and Daryl Johnston was for Aikman.I wouldn't be surprised to see a few special plays with them both in the lineup.

4.The Right Kind of Guy-Good Locker Room Presence

It would be a shock to hear DeMarco's name in an off field incidence.That is far different than the guy the Cowboys went with instead of resigning him.He also adds maturity and this could be a positive influence on the younger players,in particular,his running mate,Ezekiel Elliot.
Let's sign Romo, Dez and Witten while we're at it. Lol

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
On paper DM would be a great fit for RB2.

He’s a 3-down back similar to McFadden and the team decided to go with AM even after he recovered from his elbow injury.

I know AM isn’t with the team anymore but my point is I don’t believe DM would be used in that role if McFadden wasn’t. Moreso now with BS and RS on the roster.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody will sign him until after backs start going down with injury and probably not until after opening week where salary guarantees would not be an issue.

Very likely. But the Saints called him for a workout and he declined. That says to me that he still views himself as a starter.

Pride cometh before the fall.

Batman1980

Reaction score
As arguably one of the biggest Demarco supporters from recent history, I can confidently say....... No.

DeMarco Murray's ego is too big to be a back-up and like Zeke is at his best when he gets high volume anyway. He'd be wasted in a #2 role.

Carl23

Reaction score
I would get rid of Smith and sign Murray in a heartbeat.

nobody

Reaction score
I will say this, there have been QB's drafted much higher than Dak that would have loved to have played that well in their first 2 seasons. Lets see how Dak does in year 3. I'd settle for somewhere between year 1 and year 2.

What does this have to do with signing Murray or not?

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Murray was really banged up last season and it was clear he wasn't healthy. I don't believe he's done and can add value as a backup, but I rather enter camp with what we have for now.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
It is absolutely idiotic to sign Murray at this time just as it is to defend Jerry and Garrett
The truth is "poor form"?
Didn't know that
:laugh: I'm by no means an expert in judgment of the varying levels & degrees of stupidity, YET when a self proclaimed &appointed master in that particular field of endeavor references the owner( along with his chosen general staff) of the #1 rated sports franchise in the world in terms of monetary value as " stupid,idiotic, buffoon or bumpkin " well, FRIEND my level of expertise in the subject matter exponentially surpasses and easily shadows those of the limited conceptual wherewithal in deeming what is & what isn't ,"poor form ol' boy,poor form ,indeed",,,o_O

* bro! You just came across as if not a little vindictive, then a whole Lotta mean spirited ,as to the way I'd initially read it and I like PLASTICMAN,,,and don't like it when it seems he's gettin' kicked on&dog piled,,,oh-ya, one more thing, yer' fortunate I had my casing-liner in neutral & at a low rev as I kinda like you,TOO!:lmao:

Last edited:

crazyeddie

Reaction score
We are stacked at RB,in my opinion.Murray was a good back at one time,but we have younger guys that are a better option at the moment.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He always seemed to fumble at the worst times. Not that there is a good time to fumble.
The 2014 playoff fumble was the worst and most costly turnover in the last decade.
The redzone playoff interception in 2016 was runnerup.

But he gave us great effort and was a good teammate.
Just dont want him back at this stage.