4 teams including champs had "high interest" in Hitchens

RS12

Reaction score
I respect the opinions of the 49ers and Seahag FOs. So maybe their is something there. However there is one huge difference. Those teams are in a position to draft more for depth and ST in the middle rounds than this team.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Spangnola is a mouth piece and the guy in the op, I have no idea what is credentials are but doesn't matter. If all of these teams were planning to take him in the 4th, which I see no proof of BTW and only hearsay, then fine. Let them. Those teams are in a different position then we are. SF has a million picks so they can afford to burn some. Sea Hawks, 49ers and Rams are stacked so they are likely looking for backups and not starters. The Card, well, I would hope that we are not trying to draft like the Cards. They have not shown that they can win anything so I would hope that we are trying to do it different.

doesn't matter. If you choose to believe the op, then it is what it is. If you look at the player and what he projects to, then I don't think you can see the logic in taking him in the 4th.

That's just my opinion.

rabblerouser vouches for him. he was the one that the conversation came from. I have come to respect him over the years so yes I do give it credence. Spagnola will pee on your leg and tell you it is raining but I have never considered him one that will lie to you and either the teams were interested or they were not. it's not like its a value judgment.

the Cards went 10-6 last season in the toughest division in football. while I agree that they are not perennial winners, I don't think your characterization is a fair one.

i don't know why I bother arguing with you. once you set your mind to something you don't change it.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
I don't buy this for a second. Of those teams, only the Seahawks took a LB after the fourth round and that was Kevin Pierre-Louis of Boston College, who most "experts" had ranked higher than Hitchens.

None of the other teams took a LB after the fourth round. So were they really even looking for a LB, or is Hitchens such an unbelievably talented hidden gem that he was the only LB they were interested in taking?

I guess, since the Seahawks did take an OLB, I can believe they had an interest, but I have absolutely no reason to believe this Birddog guy would have any insight into what is going on in their war room, along with the war room of three other NFL teams.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I respect the opinions of the 49ers and Seahag FOs. So maybe their is something there. However there is one huge difference. Those teams are in a position to draft more for depth and ST in the middle rounds than this team.

You really think drafting for instant starters is possible outside the top 100?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I don't buy this for a second. Of those teams, only the Seahawks took a LB after the fourth round and that was Kevin Pierre-Louis of Boston College, who most "experts" had ranked higher than Hitchens.

None of the other teams took a LB after the fourth round. So were they really even looking for a LB, or is Hitchens such an unbelievably talented hidden gem that he was the only LB they were interested in taking?

I guess, since the Seahawks did take an OLB, I can believe they had an interest, but I have absolutely no reason to believe this Birddog guy would have any insight into what is going on in their war room, along with the war room of three other NFL teams.

So you don't believe it because they took a different LB later?

Alrighty then.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
So you don't believe it because they took a different LB later?

Alrighty then.

Did you read past the first sentence?

I said I CAN halfway believe Seattle because at least they did take a LB. The rest didn't even bother taking a LB, so was Hitchens the ONLY guy they wanted?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And to those that are now saying that you do not find birddog credible I offer two things:

first from BTB:

Birddog26 has spent the last year educating us on the inside view of the NFL over the past year as he is a professional league scout. He shares his knowledge of the inner workings of the scouting systems, and also occasionally sneaks in some not-yet-public sentiments where he allows us to infer conclusions (was that cryptic and obvious enough?). If anyone could give us a realistic pick for Dallas, it would have to be him. We're honored he shares his knowledge with BTB, and welcome him to the podium to make the selection for the Dallas Cowboys.

I would also invite you to go to his twitter and look to see who follows him. Amongst others are brugler, ranier, moore, vela and other reputable media sources.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Did you read past the first sentence?

I said I CAN halfway believe Seattle because at least they did take a LB. The rest didn't even bother taking a LB, so was Hitchens the ONLY guy they wanted?

I have no idea and I have no interest in making up stories to confirm my bias.

visionary

Reaction score
Same as I did yesterday. I watched him play enough to think he has flaws that will limit him in this league. I did not think he was worth a 4th. Draft is over and I will cheer hard for him because he is a Dallas Cowboy.

Agreed
At this point we cheer for him and hope TE produces
That is now the bottom line

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That should be the team mentality yes. It is not like they didnt have needs every where on defense.

smh. then you overestimate the talent one finds there. 4th rounders being projects is cliche. I think they could see him starting in the future but if you are thinking of more than a project I think that is an unreasonable expectation.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rabblerouser vouches for him. he was the one that the conversation came from. I have come to respect him over the years so yes I do give it credence. Spagnola will pee on your leg and tell you it is raining but I have never considered him one that will lie to you and either the teams were interested or they were not. it's not like its a value judgment.

the Cards went 10-6 last season in the toughest division in football. while I agree that they are not perennial winners, I don't think your characterization is a fair one.

i don't know why I bother arguing with you. once you set your mind to something you don't change it.

Fair enough. I guess we are much the same in regards to opinions. I don't find that to be a bad thing, which is why, after all the discussions with you, I still like you and respect you.

Have a good day Fuzzy,

ABQ

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet we have two very expensive CBs who excel at press coverage and we don't play it. What is said and we see are two different things. We insist on playing Zone Techniques when we have two CBs who don't do it very well. We avoid press, the very thing they do best.

Seattle's corners play press and they still play zone.

And yes I would like to see the Cowboys' corner play more press coverage.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Fair enough. I guess we are much the same in regards to opinions. I don't find that to be a bad thing, which is why, after all the discussions with you, I still like you and respect you.

Have a good day Fuzzy,

ABQ

You too mang.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
The mission to make Anthony Hitchens appear to be a coveted prospect about to be selected as the Cowboys drafted him has begun.

I don't care. He was a massive reach in the 4th round and a horrible selection.

And for all the supporters, show me where you said anything positive about the player pre-draft. Otherwise you're just cheerleading for the team.
If you were his son, you'd be in the front office of the team that wasted their 4th round pick on Anthony Hitchens. So that is meaningless to me.

It was a horrible selection.

I'm just consistent. I don't tailor my opinions to what my beloved team does. There wasn't a single member here who coveted Anthony Hitchens pre-draft. Yet now he's some hidden gem we stole from other teams. It's complete nonsense the likes of which we saw when we wasted another 4th on Matt Johnson.

Every year..
1. Reach for a player
2. Put out rumor "31 teams were about to pick him"
3. Convince fans he has the most potential of those left. Fans can't believe such a gem was buried under a rock - thanking god the org is blessed with such stellar talent evaluators in the mid to late rounds
4. Set up highlight reel
5. Plant seed "We set at X position for the next 8 years"
6. Carry on the roster longer than talent warrants based on performance because of draft selection
7. Eventually draft position as a 1st rounder when the hole is exposed - Sell that "of course a 1st rounder plays better than a 4th rounder"
8. Rinse. repeat

Blackspider214

Reaction score
This pick was absolutely terrible. And this was whom we took after forfeiting our 3rd round pick. Just leaves a really bad taste in your mouth.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Way to miss the point. And make arguments that are completely irrelevant to those teams evaluations.

Here is a question that cuts right to the hear of the matter: how many player evaluations from teams have you seen ever much less leading up to the draft?

i have yet to see a single one.

Either you believe that those 4 NFL clubs indeed valued them as a 4th rounder or they did not. I do not think those sources are lying to me.

That is the thing, your hubris makes you think that you are best qualified to evaluate draft picks. I am not that arrogant and am willing to admit that the professionals are much more qualified than I am. My arrogance only goes so far.

To me it comes down to this: do I buy the evaluations of Risen Star, Mel Kiper and nfldraftdigest or do I take the Niners, Seahawks, Rams, and Cardinals?

Easy choice really especially with how those other top 4-3 teams chime in.

As far as the niners, Rams, Seahawks, cards, etc - who really knows what is real information, misinformation, agent rumor, etc. If a story is told 3rd-12th hand, I don't even bother assigning a stock value. Your source may not be lying to you, but he could have been lied to or heard the story from someone with different interpretations

For someone who touts "empirical evidence", "scientific method", etc. It seems you would be somewhat curious to test a null hypothesis that the Dallas Cowboys recent talent evaluators have uncovered a disproportionate amount of NFL caliber player in the mid rounds to late rounds to other teams.

I'm not going to get into some long argument about this because none of it is likely to be proven. My assumption and opinion is that this team has had below par talent and simply having Tony Romo has added 3-5 wins per year. I have the past records to support my opinions. I also think the evaluation of the defense recently (injuries or not) and Oline until last year cost this team 2-4 wins per year. I also can't point to a single one of these "supposed draft reaches" that has panned out - but I could be missing someone.

dstew60105

Reaction score
We didn't move up but the point still remains. Horrible value with that pick. I wouldn't have taken him at 254, to be honest with you.

I knew he was about to be drafted by several teams as soon as we took him. The same way Matt Johnson was secretly coveted.

And yet your pick @ 119 wasn't even drafted. And Bridgewater @ 16 would have been a reach. Oh well.

Risen's picks while Cowboys on the clock:

1(16) Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville
2(34) Demarcus Lawrence DE Boise St.
4(119) Kelcy Quarles DT South Carolina