49ers and Eagles show you can make a Super Bowl start from scratch and make another one

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Since we've made the Super Bowl both franchises have now gone to 3 different Super Bowls with 3 different Quarterbacks. The Eagles have had 3 different coaches while 49ers have had two.

This is why I tune out the Dak homers who act like we're doomed if we move on from Dak. The way I look at it we're doomed with Dak anyway just because we are pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot does not make success when you're talking about the Dallas Cowboys. We can't string together just two playoff wins in a row in a single playoffs, many times not even one, so that is not success. Not to mention unless we're keeping Dak until his late 30's which rarely ever happens we're going to have to move on from him one day anyway. Then again can't put anything past Jerry.

As far as coach I believe Harbough would have taken the job if we moved on from McCarthy. Instead they turned McCarthy into a lame duck coach with no extension and who knows who will be available next season.

Jerry Jones has turned this franchise into a joke.
So you say we can do what Philly and San Fran does but then admit Jerry is a joke. That’s probably why most of us have no faith in Jerry Doing anything. Your first mistake was comparing this franchise to those. Try Commanders.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tune out the Dak homers who act like we're doomed if we move on from Dak. The way I look at it we're doomed with Dak anyway
That is exactly right. And it's why I have been saying over and over giving him is an extension sets the team back. Move on and let's try with a different QB. The Cowboys don't even try. They refuse to draft a QB early. They keep trying to fill those holes so they can win the big one with Dak. How is that working out for ya?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
what does this have to do with Dak, or the term you used homers.

isn't it the GMs job to rebuild the team? Dak has nothing to do with team building. your anger is directed at the wrong person.

Dak wasn't signed all by himself. it took Jerry and Stephen to agree. it took Jerry and stephen not to draft QBs over the years. we don't have to resign any player.

the reason most people want Dak back, is they see no hope with abbott and costello being able to build a team outside of getting lucky now and then.
Wrong, most people don't want dak back.

slick325

Reaction score
They are better organizations. They also have drafted QBs high and cut bait when they saw that player was not their future. Admitting that you made a mistake is huge. Or even admitting it is time to cut bait is huge.

I don't think that is a strong suit of this organization.

Blitzen

Reaction score
abbott and costello have missed more on selections than they have hit. the core of this team is weak and its a top heavy team. abbott and costello don't know how to build a team. I don't think there is a good deal of talent on this team outside of top 3,4 and then the problem is there is a huge gap to next level of talent.

and the team beat other teams without Dak having a defense that allowed 13 points a game. give me that defense and we can make it to the championship game with Ben Dennucci.

and I am not supporting to keep or drop Dak. the fact of the matter is abbott and costello have failed in identifying QB talent. have not drafted any except token picks in the 6th and 7th round and UDFAs. abbott and costello have had 28 years to build a team and they have failed. Dak, Romo, Bledsoe and so on.
Most teams miss on the majority of their picks. I would like to hear who you think are Dallas’ top 4 players (when healthy).

My top players:

Micah Parsons
Ceedee Lamb
Trevon Diggs
Tyler Smith
Tyron Smith
Zach Martin
Bryan Anger
Brandon Aubrey
Demarcus Lawrence

Very good players:
Dak Prescott, Tony Pollard, Jake Ferguson, Daron Bland (for interceptions), Jourdan Lewis (for coverage), Dorance Armstrong (for sacks), Jonathan Hankins (stopping the run), Stephon Gilmore (when healthy)

Good to goodish players: Terrence Steele (when fully healthy), Tyler Biadasz, Brandin Cooks, Malik Hooker (when fully healthy)

Average players (JAGS): other starters, some of the backups.

The defense held an extremely good SF offense to 12 whole points the entire game last year in the playoffs (6 points were gifted by Dak). Maybe they should have played Denucci vs SF.

It’s not a perfect team. Defenses are notoriously susceptible to falling pretty far if just one key guy is injured. Offenses to a much lesser degree. My rankings are how I view the player’s importance to regular season success-for this club. The team desperately needs to upgrade its linebackers (but more than that-need to re-think their prototype of the linebacker position). They need to provide added depth along the offensive line-though I liked what I saw from Bass and Richards in limited reps. Center can be upgraded. DT can be upgraded (hope Mazi takes a big step forward this off-season). Lots of moving parts this off-season. The team does not trust itself to find a satisfactory QB replacement. That’s why Dak gets extended-plus his regular season success-even if it’s not against the elite teams.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That is exactly right. And it's why I have been saying over and over giving him is an extension sets the team back. Move on and let's try with a different QB. The Cowboys don't even try. They refuse to draft a QB early. They keep trying to fill those holes so they can win the big one with Dak. How is that working out for ya?
It's never going to be enough.
Offense and defense both ranked in top 5 for yardage and scoring. Multiple all pros and pro bowlers on both sides. Dak has talent, and has talent around him, that's not the issue. It's a mental issue with him. He's got a glitch. Same with Lamar.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Dak is at his ceiling. It's mental now. He can't handle the pressure of the playoffs. And every year that pressure is getting worse. Imagine next year if he gets his big extension, the noise from the media leading up to the playoffs if we get there...lol.
The usual suspects will call them haters, hacks, and other names for not believing in Dak.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Wrong, most people don't want dak back.
perhaps I should have said, most of the people who want Dak back.
and nobody has any alternatives to Dak...except for rush and his 4-1 record...a Fallacy to say the least.

all we have is a ton of complainers.

Jayinem

Reaction score
perhaps I should have said, most of the people who want Dak back.
and nobody has any alternatives to Dak...except for rush and his 4-1 record...a Fallacy to say the least.

all we have is a ton of complainers.
You draft a QB in the first round, move up if you have to. It's not that complicated. We haven't drafted a QB in the first round since Troy Aikman and maybe it's me but I think that worked out pretty well why not try again.

Why don't you just be honest and admit you don't want to move on from Dak. I could respect that more than the bs you're trying to pull. Dak homers such as yourself have attachment issues. Most likely Dak will be a Cowboy for life but even then one day you'll still have no choice but to move on because he will retire. The average age a QB retires is 34 Dak will be 31 at the start of next season. Knowing this franchise though they'll keep him until he's 39 and long washed.

Last edited:

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
They've actually fired GMs and personnel people whose jobs depended on success. It seems to provide motivation.

When you have those positions for life, you become the Dallas Cowboys. The same two clowns will just try again next year.
I would like to co-sign this

To add to this, the owners are still making money so why would they upset the apple cart?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Most teams miss on the majority of their picks. I would like to hear who you think are Dallas’ top 4 players (when healthy).

My top players:

Micah Parsons
Ceedee Lamb
Trevon Diggs
Tyler Smith
Tyron Smith
Zach Martin
Bryan Anger
Brandon Aubrey
Demarcus Lawrence

Very good players:
Dak Prescott, Tony Pollard, Jake Ferguson, Daron Bland (for interceptions), Jourdan Lewis (for coverage), Dorance Armstrong (for sacks), Jonathan Hankins (stopping the run), Stephon Gilmore (when healthy)

Good to goodish players: Terrence Steele (when fully healthy), Tyler Biadasz, Brandin Cooks, Malik Hooker (when fully healthy)

Average players (JAGS): other starters, some of the backups.

The defense held an extremely good SF offense to 12 whole points the entire game last year in the playoffs (6 points were gifted by Dak). Maybe they should have played Denucci vs SF.

It’s not a perfect team. Defenses are notoriously susceptible to falling pretty far if just one key guy is injured. Offenses to a much lesser degree. My rankings are how I view the player’s importance to regular season success-for this club. The team desperately needs to upgrade its linebackers (but more than that-need to re-think their prototype of the linebacker position). They need to provide added depth along the offensive line-though I liked what I saw from Bass and Richards in limited reps. Center can be upgraded. DT can be upgraded (hope Mazi takes a big step forward this off-season). Lots of moving parts this off-season. The team does not trust itself to find a satisfactory QB replacement. That’s why Dak gets extended-plus his regular season success-even if it’s not against the elite teams.
a lot of teams miss on draft picks. my point wasn't that other teams hit on everything. but they hit on plenty and they seem to build a more complete team.
I don't consider Lawrence a top player. he is a good player.

and of the list you have of top players Diggs and Parsons are only two defensive players.

and all of the players are weakminded. they don't have dogs in them. they fade when pressure is high. CD pouted on the sideline in playoffs. What in the F....grow balls, show fight. the coach had to come talk to him in the middle of the first quarter....Parsons is another regular season champ. fades at the end of the season. disappeared in the last two playoff games.

Tyron smith is often injured. because of that, he is in the good category, not tops. yes, when healthy and he plays he is good. but the problem is he has missed 5,6 o entire season for 6 years running.

Aubrey...what a lucky find. Anger is good, not great or tops. he is a punter.

Pollard is good to goodish. not very good.
Lewis is good not very good.
armstrong is good, not very good.
hankins is good, not very good.
gilmore is older, he is good, not very good.

we just don't have a team, with the right mix. right mindset. right mentality. they are soft.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You draft a QB in the first round, move up if you have to. It's not that complicated.

Why don't you just be honest and admit you don't want to move on from Dak. I could respect that more than the bs you're trying to pull.
I don't disagree. I have actually advocated to draft a QB every 3,4 drafts in the first 3 rounds. not saying we should reach for the sake of drafting one, but I am sure good QBs have been available. Jerry screwed himself for not doing that and drafting somebody in the 7th or going UDFA route. create competition. give yourself options so that you are not cornered during negotiations. worst case, you trade them. or you move on (ala Packers).

given most QBs fail in the first round, and the lower in the round, the lesser the chance, you have to take more chances.

I do want to move on from Dak. so the question is do we rebuild? if we draft a QB, then we are rebuilding. no ifs buts or thens. yeah yeah yeah, everyone points to SF, the exception rather than the rule. everyone lives in a fantasy world. its tough for Jerry and Stephen to go into rebuild mode after 3 12-5 seasons. it gives them the excuse to continue and just feel they are close.

I would say trade Dak if we can, or post June 1 cut. trade Parsons for draft picks. Let CD walk (another weak minded player). let Lawrence walk. let tyron go. let biadasz go. and go rebuild. Unfortunately we already handed Diggs a big contract.

and again, Dak is not the only issue that Ails dallas. befor Dak there was romo. before romo, bledsoe and carter and so on.
Jerry is just not capable of seeing clearly. to him letting Dak walk means money lost and he is not going to do that.

quickccc

Reaction score
Lions clearly are the best example of building a winner from scratch.

The very worse NFL team in the NFL for Decades .. and they finally gathered a competent front office that know how to wheel & deal
with NFL draft, trades, FA..and then they got a solid coaching staff that found a chemistry to get them to the NFC title game.

One game away from a SB

But yet what has us Cowboys " America's Team " done in 28 years ?

kskboys

Reaction score
what does this have to do with Dak, or the term you used homers.

isn't it the GMs job to rebuild the team? Dak has nothing to do with team building. your anger is directed at the wrong person.

Dak wasn't signed all by himself. it took Jerry and Stephen to agree. it took Jerry and stephen not to draft QBs over the years. we don't have to resign any player.

the reason most people want Dak back, is they see no hope with abbott and costello being able to build a team outside of getting lucky now and then.
Not true at all. When a player insists on max money that turns out to be about 1/4th of the salary cap, and refuses a longer deal so the team can work w/ the money, then that player has indeed thrown a huge wrench in the team building machine. And since the last playoff debacle, he's already declared that he won't give a discount. Talk about selfishness.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Lions clearly are the best example of building a winner from scratch.

The very worse NFL team in the NFL for Decades .. and they finally gathered a competent front office that know how to wheel & deal
with NFL draft, trades, FA..and then they got a solid coaching staff that found a chemistry to get them to the NFC title game.

One game away from a SB

But yet what has us Cowboys " America's Team " done in 28 years ?
If they didn't have Turn it over on downs Dan they'd probably be in the Super Bowl.

kskboys

Reaction score
abbott and costello have missed more on selections than they have hit. the core of this team is weak and its a top heavy team. abbott and costello don't know how to build a team. I don't think there is a good deal of talent on this team outside of top 3,4 and then the problem is there is a huge gap to next level of talent.

and the team beat other teams without Dak having a defense that allowed 13 points a game. give me that defense and we can make it to the championship game with Ben Dennucci.

and I am not supporting to keep or drop Dak. the fact of the matter is abbott and costello have failed in identifying QB talent. have not drafted any except token picks in the 6th and 7th round and UDFAs. abbott and costello have had 28 years to build a team and they have failed. Dak, Romo, Bledsoe and so on.
I find it funny how Abbott and Costello hit on a few 1st round draft picks and are suddenly lauded as being great drafters. There's just so much more to it than that.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'd be scared to take any chances. Jerry and I are the nervous type, we just need the money. If we tried to get better and it didn't work, would you guys still buy the gear crap made for children?

Qcard

Reaction score
Since we've made the Super Bowl both franchises have now gone to 3 different Super Bowls with 3 different Quarterbacks. The Eagles have had 3 different coaches while 49ers have had two.

This is why I tune out the Dak homers who act like we're doomed if we move on from Dak. The way I look at it we're doomed with Dak anyway just because we are pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot does not make success when you're talking about the Dallas Cowboys. We can't string together just two playoff wins in a row in a single playoffs, many times not even one, so that is not success. Not to mention unless we're keeping Dak until his late 30's which rarely ever happens we're going to have to move on from him one day anyway. Then again can't put anything past Jerry.

As far as coach I believe Harbough would have taken the job if we moved on from McCarthy. Instead they turned McCarthy into a lame duck coach with no extension and who knows who will be available next season.

Jerry Jones has turned this franchise into a joke.
Prescott is QB1 for at least One more Season and the Jerry Family is FOREVER....

Dak Haters buy in or LEAVE....trust me Dallas Cowboys didn't miss the Tom Landry congregation! :laugh: