Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

btcutter

Reaction score
So are we crediting the 9ers for their evaluation now, or are we crediting them for trading away 3 first rounders to get him? He's started all of four games. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say just maybe he has room to grow.
I don't need to go out on a limb. He's more than likely to have a career of Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson than a cinderella comeback story. I am actually sorry to say that. I wish this kid to succeed but history is not on his side.

Loso86

Reaction score
That's a nice example too. Tannehill is another guy who was dismissed. Heck the Dolphins weren't happy with Tua until last year.

It's crazy, but sometimes young qbs actually develop. Lance needed more developing from the onset. The fact he got injured only set his timeline further back.

Hes in a perfect spot now.

It'll be interesting to see how Dak handles the kid. The right thing to do is develop him and bring him along, but I can't blame a man for not wanting to train his possible replacement.

If nothing else the Cowboys continue to keep me entertained.
I agree 100%. I actually miss the days when a new QB could sit for 2 years or so and learn and boom we have our future qb

Loso86

Reaction score
The Geno analogy is not one to point to. How many starts and how many years did it take for Geno to become a viable NFL starting quarterback for just one season? If that’s the plan, Jerry Jones won’t live long enough to see Trey Lance become a significant player. Look at Geno again…enough said….right?
I mean if you want to be technical, it took geno long to mature mentally and find the right situation. Genoa was decent as a starter just never had as good of seasons as last year. He's also never played with WRs like he did last year. Lance has more talent and upside than Geno. He has a chance to learn under a viable QB unlike Geno etc.So umm yea look at Geno....right....right?

Loso86

Reaction score
You should read the original post I made.

Geno started for the team who drafted him who decided to part ways. He started for the Jets for over 2 years. What has TL shown so far? Has TL started for anyone? He can't beat out a third string QB right now.

I have no problem getting him to compete. But I think we overpaid when no other team in the league was willing to give up anything more than a conditional 5th rounder.
We did what we needed to in order to get a young QB who has all the tools to ne successful un this league. A 4th is not overpaying if you get the guy you want. Other teams were offering 5s. If the others offered 6 and we did a 5 some of yall would say that's too much sooo whatever lol. The guy Is young, talented and just lacking experience.
Give him a chance. Favre didnt do to hot early on either. He played up 1 year in college, was hurt his rookie year and couldn't put it together in his 2nd. I'm willing to wait on the guy and clearly are the Cowboys too.