Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

Loso86

Reaction score
You know something 49er don’t? The 49er who traded up to get him?
Or the other teams that wanted to draft him early, or the 5 or 7 other teams that tried to trade for him before we did....or that fact that this same Dallas team graded him a 2nd rounder. I do know the 49ers gave up on him because they hot lucky with Purdy and Darnold is playing better. Lance still has more upside and again it's not going to hurt us if anything we can find luck to make him Daks future replacement if he gets the mental down

Reactions: CWR

Proof

Reaction score
All of them yea ok. It takes more than 2 years to tell. Plus HAS the talent. New team new scheme, new locker room amd coaches goes a long way for the confidence in a player. Yall be killing me tryna throw players away so early
yes all of them lol. that’s how busts occur. scouts are fallible, every single year. i’m rooting for him, and would love nothing more than for him to pan out for us. i simply asked is his skilllset really that great? and to underscore my question i pointed out he wasn’t in the fbs, only had one year at a lower level and was unceremoniously dumped by a team that invested very very heavily in him. not a wild question or position

Loso86

Reaction score
yes all of them lol. that’s how busts occur. scouts are fallible, every single year. i’m rooting for him, and would love nothing more than for him to pan out for us. i simply asked is his skilllset really that great? and to underscore my question i pointed out he wasn’t in the fbs, only had one year at a lower level and was unceremoniously dumped by a team that invested very very heavily in him. not a wild question or position
I hear you but yes his skill set is really good his problem is mental at this point..

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If TL doesn’t work out, then Jerry will be tempted to pay Dak another cap killing huge contract.

btcutter

Reaction score
Or the other teams that wanted to draft him early, or the 5 or 7 other teams that tried to trade for him before we did....or that fact that this same Dallas team graded him a 2nd rounder. I do know the 49ers gave up on him because they hot lucky with Purdy and Darnold is playing better. Lance still has more upside and again it's not going to hurt us if anything we can find luck to make him Daks future replacement if he gets the mental down
I just dont get this infatuated with “upside”. That “upside” was 2+ years ago. The current TL can’t beat out a third string QB. This is reality.
”mental” is 99% of being a QB in the NFL. All the QB busts are “mental” not physical.
I simply believe we overpaid for TL.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You go Trey, and I heard that the Pope is Catholic as well!!

CWR

Reaction score
You know something 49er don’t? The 49er who traded up to get him?

So are we crediting the 9ers for their evaluation now, or are we crediting them for trading away 3 first rounders to get him? He's started all of four games. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say just maybe he has room to grow.

CWR

Reaction score
I hear you but yes his skill set is really good his problem is mental at this point..

More than even mental it's a massive lack of experience. This is a perfect opportunity for him, zero pressure. He can spend the next year or two developing. I can't wrap my head around why anyone would think a 23 year old qb with barley over 200 career balls thrown would have already peaked. Hes a prospect and good one at that. No telling if he will develop into something more, but the upside makes it a worthwhile 4th round gamble.

Loso86

Reaction score
I just dont get this infatuated with “upside”. That “upside” was 2+ years ago. The current TL can’t beat out a third string QB. This is reality.
”mental” is 99% of being a QB in the NFL. All the QB busts are “mental” not physical.
I simply believe we overpaid for TL.
Look at Geno...enough said ....right?

Loso86

Reaction score
More than even mental it's a massive lack of experience. This is a perfect opportunity for him, zero pressure. He can spend the next year or two developing. I can't wrap my head around why anyone would think a 23 year old qb with barley over 200 career balls thrown would have already peaked. Hes a prospect and good one at that. No telling if he will develop into something more, but the upside makes it a worthwhile 4th round gamble.
Exactly. I dont get our fans that are so upset about this.

CWR

Reaction score

That's a nice example too. Tannehill is another guy who was dismissed. Heck the Dolphins weren't happy with Tua until last year.

It's crazy, but sometimes young qbs actually develop. Lance needed more developing from the onset. The fact he got injured only set his timeline further back.

Hes in a perfect spot now.

It'll be interesting to see how Dak handles the kid. The right thing to do is develop him and bring him along, but I can't blame a man for not wanting to train his possible replacement.

If nothing else the Cowboys continue to keep me entertained.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If TL doesn’t work out, then Jerry will be tempted to pay Dak another cap killing huge contract.
how did it kill the cap? we have signed FA. we are extending players. we have 20M on the cap this year. we had 20M on the cap last year. I don't get this cap killing stuff

csirl

Reaction score
People shouldnt assume Darnold beat him out. Salary cap hit and team chemistry come into the decision making process. TL's salary imay have been too high to justtify as a spend on a backup to Purdy. 49ers also dont want any negativity or QB tension on the team - want Purdy to know its hiis team.

Likewise dont assume Trey has come to Dallas to be a 3rd stringer - salary too high for that. Cowbiys have him pencilled in as a #2 QB for now. Will try and trade Rush early in the season.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The Geno analogy is not one to point to. How many starts and how many years did it take for Geno to become a viable NFL starting quarterback for just one season? If that’s the plan, Jerry Jones won’t live long enough to see Trey Lance become a significant player. Look at Geno again…enough said….right?

btcutter

Reaction score
You should read the original post I made.

Geno started for the team who drafted him who decided to part ways. He started for the Jets for over 2 years. What has TL shown so far? Has TL started for anyone? He can't beat out a third string QB right now.

I have no problem getting him to compete. But I think we overpaid when no other team in the league was willing to give up anything more than a conditional 5th rounder.