50+ minutes of Dak winning games in the clutch

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Okay, I have read all of this thread up to this post. I decided I would just let this play out, until your comment.

First off, your new age label ignores that more than a few people in this thread suggesting a comeback is being behind and ending up winning are guys who have been fans since the sixties.

Me personally, I saw the very first Cowboy game in the Cotton Bowl. So telling me about Staubach while ignoring he was also among the players who got behind before he geared up and came back seems disingenuous. He was as much at fault for the lackadaisical effort in the first three quarters as all the rest on the offense. Your criteria for what is a comeback starts with no demarcation point of what is and what is not. Is it 5 points? 8 points? Maybe it's 20 points? So you setting the standard which has no actual set in concrete number to make the call of is it or isn't it seems mighty convenient for your argument.

But what may be more to the point is if you polled every poster on this board and asked what they consider a comeback is, you might be an outlier rather than the standard you seem to profess your argument is.

But here is perhaps the only stat that matters. W or L. All the rest is a pissing contest.
I stand by my comment.

My comment had nothing to do with the what and why of how the team got in the position to require a "comeback".

Of course everyone is free to determine their own criteria of what constitutes a "comeback".

I'm just saying that in my time of watching a ton of football (and hockey), I never heard anyone talking up a "comeback" without that element of improbability that has the fans sitting on their hands contemplating the gloomy ride home.... until.... the magic starts to happen, the excitement begins to build and the team accomplishes the improbable and snatches victory straight out of the teeth of defeat.

Giving accolades for overcoming a 4 point deficit with a full quarter to play waters down the distinction of a true come from behind victory. Especially in today's NFL when it is easier then ever to move the ball and 50+ yard field goals are routine.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You weren't around back then but I can assure you Captain Comeback didn't earn that title on the backs of one score deficits at 15:00 of the fourth qtr.

But hey, don't let history get in the way of your illogical ranting.

Have a good night, and don't hurt yourself with all that heavy lifting.
sure, now move the goal post on wheels. because I am sure you will. go ahead with your bad self.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I stand by my comment.

My comment had nothing to do with the what and why of how the team got in the position to require a "comeback".

Of course everyone is free to determine their own criteria of what constitutes a "comeback".

I'm just saying that in my time of watching a ton of football (and hockey), I never heard anyone talking up a "comeback" without that element of improbability that has the fans sitting on their hands contemplating the gloomy ride home.... until.... the magic starts to happen, the excitement begins to build and the team accomplishes the improbable and snatches victory straight out of the teeth of defeat.

Giving accolades for overcoming a 4 point deficit with a full quarter to play waters down the distinction of a true come from behind victory. Especially in today's NFL when it is easier then ever to move the ball and 50+ yard field goals are routine.
so its a lose lose situation for Dak. if he comes back, you question why we are in a position to have to come back. if he doesn't come back, then he is not able to have come backs.

interesting spin.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
7 pages of this nonsense again.

a playoff win is a win, i really enjoyed beating seattle and beating the crap out of Tampa. Im frustrated with Dak too at times but jesus people, doin the same thing people do on the Romo threads.
Too bad Rodgers held on when the goat heath whacked him, couldve been another great comeback, although that slow start didnt help.

LittleD

Reaction score
The Dak_mites will never accept the idea that last year was so indicative of a declining QB. Dak will only meander downward from this year forward. The Dak mobile bus is losing its driver's license and that will become more evident this season. The defense will have to save the day once again.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2019 Seattle
Im sure everyone appreciates the corre tion. I know i have forgotten....

that one time.....dak played clutch in playoffs.

One time does indicate "capable".

I mean....thats great. I wont say anything more....wouldnt want to rain on your big parade here.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
7 pages of this nonsense again.

a playoff win is a win, i really enjoyed beating seattle and beating the crap out of Tampa. Im frustrated with Dak too at times but jesus people, doin the same thing people do on the Romo threads.
Too bad Rodgers held on when the goat heath whacked him, couldve been another great comeback, although that slow start didnt help.
I think its great we beat a loser team in the playoffs too. We showed our prowess and might....true warriors...man if we could only face more 8-9 dysfunctional teams in the playoffs wed have us a super bowl.

It was a fun game beating the snot out if weak losers. Im more proud of goin to frisco and almost Stealing one there but for 2-3 plays.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Worst playoff team Dallas has faced in a very long time and we played them in Dallas.
Doesn't get any easier.

I guess at least we won though

Btw, a side note, the worst pass defense Dallas has EVER faced in the playoffs was vs Green Bay in 2016
Tampa 2022 a terrible team.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
I think its great we beat a loser team in the playoffs too. We showed our prowess and might....true warriors...man if we could only face more 8-9 dysfunctional teams in the playoffs wed have us a super bowl.

It was a fun game beating the snot out if weak losers. Im more proud of goin to frisco and almost Stealing one there but for 2-3 plays.
Only thing we stole in frisco was defeat from the jaws of victory. Defense was on fire that game, offense was a dumpster fire however.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I stand by my comment.

Comeback from behind. There is no time element, nor point differential to be inferred that I have ever heard of understood as a given.

Otherwise, do you suggest putting the other team away in the fourth has criteria?

Dallas is up by 3 and stops the other team, then goes on a long drive to be up by 6 and wins. Does this qualify as putting the other team away?

Or is there some nebulous number in your mind that Dallas should have score several more times to make the game a lopsided affair? Is there something to be considered in the way the Cowboys put the other team away, which might indicate Dallas was the far better team and not just the winner?

As the fourth quarter plays out, and your team is behind by four, yet your defense can't seem to prevent long clock-eating drives from the other team, does the four point differential still rankle you if your team eventually overcomes?

You certainly are entitled to your opinion on what constitutes coming from behind or putting a team away. But in the context of singling out one player in a team sport where ten other players will be involved in the outcome seems more like a grudge match than some edict which embodies a tried and true, generally accepted rule about any sport where one team overcomes a deficit to win in the end.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Comeback from behind. There is no time element, nor point differential to be inferred that I have ever heard of understood as a given.

Otherwise, do you suggest putting the other team away in the fourth has criteria?

Dallas is up by 3 and stops the other team, then goes on a long drive to be up by 6 and wins. Does this qualify as putting the other team away?

Or is there some nebulous number in your mind that Dallas should have score several more times to make the game a lopsided affair? Is there something to be considered in the way the Cowboys put the other team away, which might indicate Dallas was the far better team and not just the winner?

As the fourth quarter plays out, and your team is behind by four, yet your defense can't seem to prevent long clock-eating drives from the other team, does the four point differential still rankle you if your team eventually overcomes?

You certainly are entitled to your opinion on what constitutes coming from behind or putting a team away. But in the context of singling out one player in a team sport where ten other players will be involved in the outcome seems more like a grudge match than some edict which embodies a tried and true, generally accepted rule about any sport where one team overcomes a deficit to win in the end.
"Putting a team away" is an entirely different conversation. I guess it does fit this discussion as it speaks to the improbability factor I mentioned. In order to be considered a comeback worthy of discussion, (not in the literal, technical interpretation) there needs to be at least a little of that 'feeling' that the team has been put away... but yet.... the put away team defies the odds and pulls a comeback out of its collective hat.

"You certainly are entitled to your opinion on what constitutes coming from behind or putting a team away. But in the context of singling out one player in a team sport where ten other players will be involved in the outcome seems more like a grudge match than some edict which embodies a tried and true, generally accepted rule about any sport where one team overcomes a deficit to win in the end."

The thread title, and hence the thread did the "singling out", not me.

Your experience is yours and I'm not quite as old as you, but I'm not far behind and my life's experience watching games with and interacting with a whole bunch of equally avid enthusiasts, I can say with complete confidence that before the explosion of fantasy football and all the stats that accompany it, at no time would anyone I know consider a small lead when the teams switch sides for the final time, to be a accolade worthy come from behind victory.

How far you want to take this technical/literal definition? By your standards wouldn't any game in which a team was behind by any margin at any time be considered a come from behind victory.

A 42-3 blowout would be considered a come from behind victory if the loser scored first after recovering a muffed opening kickoff, losing ten yards on three plays and kicking a field goal?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Im sure everyone appreciates the corre tion. I know i have forgotten....

that one time.....dak played clutch in playoffs.

One time does indicate "capable".

I mean....thats great. I wont say anything more....wouldnt want to rain on your big parade here.
You are hardly the first to come up with this line of reasoning. You have 50 minutes of what you think he cannot do to watch.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Where did you learn then big ole words? Talk to me in layman terms. Grass or paint?
Man, I know you are not dumb and frankly the Mickey Spagnola and Brian Broaddus hokey false humility is not a compelling look.