#53 Pick Anthony Fasano ND

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
A Good thing about Fasano - - - He is a very aggressive runner after the catch who will deliver a blow to the tackler, keep his feet, break tackles and gain yardage after contact.

As good as he is, Witten does not do that.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
You know, we are now much better at WR depth. We now have 2 top receivers that start and a very good replacement if one of them goes down for our base 2 TE offense.

Austin28

Reaction score
sago1 said:
So we have depth at the TE position, but basically none if either TO or Glenn go down. We don't really have a decent starter at FS--Marco Coleman signing notwithstanding. Our OL is a patchwork with Adams coming back off knee surgery (turning 31), Kosier (who knows) with Peterman behind him (unknown), Gurode/Johnson fighting it out again at c but will either improve, Riveria coming back after back injury (only Gurode behind him but what if Gurode beats out Johnson for starting C job) & Fabini (Adams backup) with Pettiti and Colombo (both have lot improving to do). And we draft a backup for depth TE.

I see other teams making trades and picking up some pretty good players. Giants have added 2 pretty good players, Skins even managed get an extra 2nd round pick by trading next year's 2nd round pick & still have another 2nd round pick. And we still don't have a 4th round pick. But we have 2 6ths & 2 7ths. I guess those last 4 picks at end of draft will be those OL, FS & WR players we need.

Do we still have Colombo?

Kevlee06

Reaction score
DawnOfANewD said:
Witten could be gone after the season as a FA. Fasano could replace him. We played out of a 2-TE base set last year. With those things in mind, I no longer have a problem with the pick.

Witten isnt going ANYWHERE. Stop with that mess.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Solid selection, IMO.

Fasano should learn quick from Witten and Ben Coates (usually pops in for a week or two) in training camp.

He'll have the obvious rookie challenges, but we should have the most imposing double tight end set in the NFL in another year or two.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
He was't the BPA and doesn't fill a need. Cowboys get dunce award for this pick.

Austin28

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Dallas ran some 2 TE sets we did not run it as much as what is now being reported. Yes I know a lot about football and chances are a lot more than you. So shut you pie hole idiot!!

Whoa!

So, you're saying that it is reported that we ran it more next year???

Man, that's confusing.

And dude, I never called you an idiot. I just thought it was peculiar that we didn't run the 2TE set last year (pssst, that's what you said). Most knowlegable fans would have known that we ran a tremendous amout of 2 TE sets last season.

Oh well, not all of us are that observant.

Nice talking to you. I'm going to run on now - like your sentences.

:)

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I can't think of any other team that features two pass-catching TEs on the field at the same time.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Posts are coming to ast and furious so I apologize if someone posted this already but here is a blurb from Gosselin's top 100:

51-60

No. Player Pos. School
51. Taitusi Lutui G Southern California
52. John McCargo DT North Carolina State
53. Danieal Manning CB Abilene Christian
54. Anthony Fasano TE Notre Dame

There could be as many as four tight ends selected in the second round: Marcedes Lewis, Leonard Pope, Anthony Fasano and Joe Klopfenstein. Lewis won the Mackey Award last season as the best tight end in the college game. Klopfenstein is big (6-5, 255) and Pope bigger (6-7, 258 ). But maybe the most intriguing prospect is Fasano, who left his senior season on the table at Notre Dame to turn pro. He reminds NFL talent evaluators of another Notre Dame tight end – Mark Bavaro. "I pride myself on being an all-around tight end, a tight end who doesn't come off the field in any situation," Fasano said.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Austin28 said:
Whoa!

So, you're saying that it is reported that we ran it more next year???

Man, that's confusing.

And dude, I never called you an idiot. I just thought it was peculiar that we didn't run the 2TE set last year (pssst, that's what you said). Most knowlegable fans would have known that we ran a tremendous amout of 2 TE sets last season.

Oh well, not all of us are that observant.

Nice talking to you. I'm going to run on now - like your sentences.

:)

Your going to jump down my throat, insult me and then act offended when I respond? Are you kidding me? Dallas ran 2 TE set we also used a lot of 3 WR sets I understand the game of football very well and I know what Dallas was running last season.

Austin28

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Your going to jump down my throat, insult me and then act offended when I respond? Are you kidding me? Dallas ran 2 TE set we also used a lot of 3 WR sets I understand the game of football very well and I know what Dallas was running last season.

Really?

Then I'll just let your own post respond ...

Doomsday101 said:
I don't think they are neglecting anything I guess the pick just came as a suprise. Had Dallas ran the 2 TE, 2 WR set last year this pick would not have been a suprise. I like Fasano and saw him play quite a bit last season with ND but again the pick just comes as a suprise.

I'm surprised too ... that we didn't run the 2TE set last year

Sure you understand. Someone who understood would have never made such a boneheaded comment.

I didn't have to insult you. You did a very good job of doing that on your own.

PJCOWBOYS

Reaction score
Ok, now that we have a 3rd, picked up a 4th, and now with a bunch of picks in the later rounds, I am now on board with the Fasano pick. I was concerned we weren't gonna have any more value picks left. Great job Jerry and Parcells. Now go get us our FS and DT.

fortdick

Reaction score
Dooms, let it go. He is just looking for attention. Maybe it's Nors!

BTW, if we have two TE's that are receiving threats, along with Glenn and Popcorn, it will almost make opposing defenses run nickel full time against us. They gotta double Popcorn, so unless you plan on covering Witten and Fasano with LB's you have to keep a DB available. Unless you want to cover Glenn with the SS.

JJ will run loose.

All kinds of things this pick does for us. I am liking it more and more!

BHendri5

Reaction score
I felt all season just like when I first saw Witten as a sophmore at Tennesse, that we were going to draft him.

Fasano and witten are equal in receiving ability, getting open , running good routes. Where they are not even is, Fasano is a better blocker than Witten and he runs harder after the catch.

I am glad we got him, I was worried that someone was going to get him before we had the chance.

Eskimo

Reaction score
jesusphreak said:
Definitely, we are going to have an offense that is very difficult to contain.

Two pass-catching tight ends along with two receivers that will stretch the field, along with the ability to run on any play. Its a great formation and it makes it hard for defenses to know what you will do.

This should be great.

The only problem with the two pass catching TEs is neither of them is very good at run blocking.

The TE coach should really be cracking the whip on them this year with the run blocking if this is going to work.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
If you would have listened, someone kept say that Fasano was the second rounder for the Cowboys.

I wish I knew who that intelligent poster was.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SMCowboy

Reaction score
bbgun said:
I can't think of any other team that features two pass-catching TEs on the field at the same time.

Well, they don't play it right now, but Indy used to use both Dallas Clark and Marcus Pollard.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
The only problem with the two pass catching TEs is neither of them is very good at run blocking.

The TE coach should really be cracking the whip on them this year with the run blocking if this is going to work.

Eskimo, if Fasano is being compared to Mark Bavaro, then he is obviously a heck of a blocker.

According to Frank Coyle Fasano grades out a 9 out of a possible 10 in blocking.

Eskimo

Reaction score
SMCowboy said:
Eskimo, if Fasano is being compared to Mark Bavaro, then he is obviously a heck of a blocker.

According to Frank Coyle Fasano grades out a 9 out of a possible 10 in blocking.

To be honest with you I didn't see many ND games last year so I can't comment first hand. However, the scouting report earlier said he needed to work a lot on his technique but that he had good size and strength and tenacity. This means he should be trainable.

The thing that I'm really upset about with the Dallas TE coaches is they have failed to make Witten as complete a player as he should be. For a guy with his size and strength (did 29 reps at the combine) he should be a tremendous blocker but he isn't.

Austin28

Reaction score
PJCOWBOYS said:
Ok, now that we have a 3rd, picked up a 4th, and now with a bunch of picks in the later rounds, I am now on board with the Fasano pick. I was concerned we weren't gonna have any more value picks left. Great job Jerry and Parcells. Now go get us our FS and DT.

Man, you were having a cow over there.

Either way, the pick made sense.