#53 Pick Anthony Fasano ND

mitchell2254

Reaction score
Glenn Carano said:
Great post. I didn't know that there were so many clueless Dallas fans on this board. Fasano will play alot. 2 TE's all day. No FB. He'll get a majority of the offense snaps along with Witten, TO, Glenn and JJ/MBIII. Great pick. We'll have 2 of the best TE's in football and they'll both start. Get a clue people.

I'm with you at first I was ***??? But now look at our offense. I am almost certain we will go teo TE's in most of our sets. Can you imagine how hard it will be to guard our big 4(TO,Glenn,Witten,Fasano) how do you match up against that.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
JJ is saying about the same thing as I type in his PC.

We will go 2 TE.....1 RB......2WR sets. 99.9% of the time.

PJCOWBOYS

Reaction score
The only clue I know is you have none about DT depth, none at OL depth, and none at FS. I guess Furgeson will NEVER get hurt, he will play all 16 games. And backup Thomas Johnson will be a pro bowler as his replacement when that time comes.

I now see the light! We can score 56 points a game with our offense, even though we will give up 79 points on defense. Sweet!

Glenn Carano said:
Great post. I didn't know that there were so many clueless Dallas fans on this board. Fasano will play alot. 2 TE's all day. No FB. He'll get a majority of the offense snaps along with Witten, TO, Glenn and JJ/MBIII. Great pick. We'll have 2 of the best TE's in football and they'll both start. Get a clue people.

shaq48

Reaction score
You guys need to chill and think of the possibilities. With TO and Glenn the field can now be stretched on both sides, with a 2 te set and 1 rb the number of options is a dream. They say this kid can block as well as catch, I'm sure Weiss gave Bill the nuts on this guy, and Weiss knows NFL talent. With the field stretched on both sides the 2 te's can work the seem and over the middle like a dream. I see tons of 2nd and 3 yards this year. Now you can put a te in motion from either side and allow drew to really read the d. Makes first down against Dallas almost indefensible...what do you try to stop the deep threat of Glenn...the crossing pattern 10- 15 yards down field of TO , the Witten move to the seem or just acroos the middle for 5-8 or the new kid with the same as whitten from the otherside...or the handoff to the back. Whichever side TO lines up on assures the te on that side man to man and assures Glenn man to man. I see alot of zone coverages having to be played aginst Dallas....good luck with that. Rembmber to get the ball to Glenn or TO bledsoe nedds time...to get the ball to a te he doens't need much, 3 step drop bam complete for 6 -8 yards, second and 2...lol ..the defenses just had the best weapon against Dallas nuetralized blitz or pass rush. Now Drew has to quality TE's to throw to quick and beat the blitz. Makes your Olline so much better when qb can do a 3 step drop and pass. I think we average over 27 a game easy.

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
PJCOWBOYS said:
The only clue I know is you have none about DT depth, none at OL depth, and none at FS. I guess Furgeson will NEVER get hurt, he will play all 16 games. And backup Thomas Johnson will be a pro bowler as his replacement when that time comes.

I now see the light! We can score 56 points a game with our offense, even though we will give up 79 points on defense. Sweet!

I didn't know the draft was over. Like I said, get a clue.

Austin28

Reaction score
Glenn Carano said:

Agreed - but I guess everything here is just a matter of opinion. Mine is just right more than most people's here, I've found.

;)

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
Champsheart said:
I really did not like this pick when it came up, although I do believe Fasano is a good player. I was just scratching my head, WHY?

I think I know what Dallas is doing.

Drafting Fasano is a way to get another Offensive Weapon on the Field at the same time as Witten, Julius, T.O., and Glenn, now add Fasano.

In the 2 TE set we can do a much better job of protecting Bledsoe, but at the same time give him another weapon the defense is going to have to account for. Combine this with the attention T.O. is going to get it is just another WEAPON on the field.

We will see how this works out because I think you will see our base offense include Fasano.

T.O.
Glenn
Witten
Fasano
Julius

And with 2 TE's we can do what ever we want with pass protection and the defense will never know where the hot man will be.

The more I think about it the more I am liking it.

stop, your making me warm up to the pick

31hammer

Reaction score
I think this formation will help Henson if and when he becomes the starter. Talk about not tipping your hand. No one saw this coming. Jerry you are still the man. Fassano will be a monster for us

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
I have some reservations, too, but let's see how the rest of the draft plays out before we start accusing the brain trust of neglecting other needs.

I don't think they are neglecting anything I guess the pick just came as a suprise. Had Dallas ran the 2 TE, 2 WR set last year this pick would not have been a suprise. I like Fasano and saw him play quite a bit last season with ND but again the pick just comes as a suprise.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
We were 13th in total offense and 15th in total passing offense last year. Although blocking isn't his forte, having Fasano on the field along with Witten will free up Witten to go downfield. Man, our passing offense with TO and a pass-catching-focussed Witten will be awesome. Witten might get close to 1000 yards like he did in '04. I'm liking this pick more and more.

PJCOWBOYS

Reaction score
You want to play Clue, go buy the board game. Why is it you aren't concerned with our other immediate needs? But TE was do or die if we didn't have that backup to Witten! Oh no!!!!!!!!

Ya, our 5th or 6th round pick will definately be able to fill in for Furgeson once he goes down! No prob!

I also say we draft 4 more tight ends with our remaining picks, because what happens if our Witten and Fasano go down? We have NO DEPTH!

Might as well get 10 tight ends because we need that more than anything else.

Glenn Carano said:
I didn't know the draft was over. Like I said, get a clue.

Austin28

Reaction score
mitchell2254 said:
I'm with you at first I was ***??? But now look at our offense. I am almost certain we will go teo TE's in most of our sets. Can you imagine how hard it will be to guard our big 4(TO,Glenn,Witten,Fasano) how do you match up against that.

:hammer:

It's the one position on offense that we could have addressed and still had a guy that could come in and get his hands on the ball and play.

We know who's starting at WR and RB. The only other skilled position left to address that could have an immediate impact and play this year was TE.

Those of you hating on this pick, pull your head out. Remember, we just got TO .. I think we plan on having a little more explosive offense than we did last year.

Don't forget Bledsoe loves him some TE too. Ben Coates ring a bell?

This guy is an impact player and will contribute this year.

Austin28

Reaction score
shaq48 said:
You guys need to chill and think of the possibilities. With TO and Glenn the field can now be stretched on both sides, with a 2 te set and 1 rb the number of options is a dream. They say this kid can block as well as catch, I'm sure Weiss gave Bill the nuts on this guy, and Weiss knows NFL talent. With the field stretched on both sides the 2 te's can work the seem and over the middle like a dream. I see tons of 2nd and 3 yards this year. Now you can put a te in motion from either side and allow drew to really read the d. Makes first down against Dallas almost indefensible...what do you try to stop the deep threat of Glenn...the crossing pattern 10- 15 yards down field of TO , the Witten move to the seem or just acroos the middle for 5-8 or the new kid with the same as whitten from the otherside...or the handoff to the back. Whichever side TO lines up on assures the te on that side man to man and assures Glenn man to man. I see alot of zone coverages having to be played aginst Dallas....good luck with that. Rembmber to get the ball to Glenn or TO bledsoe nedds time...to get the ball to a te he doens't need much, 3 step drop bam complete for 6 -8 yards, second and 2...lol ..the defenses just had the best weapon against Dallas nuetralized blitz or pass rush. Now Drew has to quality TE's to throw to quick and beat the blitz. Makes your Olline so much better when qb can do a 3 step drop and pass. I think we average over 27 a game easy.

One the money bro.

shaq48

Reaction score
not to mention that te routes only require a 3 step drop from the qb which will nuetralize the pass rush of the Giants. I think we see alot of second and short plays this year...I can't wait!!!

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
PJCOWBOYS said:
You want to play Clue, go buy the board game. Why is it you aren't concerned with our other immediate needs? But TE was do or die if we didn't have that backup to Witten! Oh no!!!!!!!!

Ya, our 5th or 6th round pick will definately be able to fill in for Furgeson once he goes down! No prob!

I also say we draft 4 more tight ends with our remaining picks, because what happens if our Witten and Fasano go down? We have NO DEPTH!

Might as well get 10 tight ends because we need that more than anything else.

Dude are you not paying attention. We are going to a 2 TE base offense. Fasano WILL start along with Witten. TO on the same side as Fasano and Witten lined up on the same said as Glenn, Jerry just said it. No FB. Fasano will get alot of snaps and step in and start right away. Great pick.

VTEXPRESS

Reaction score
They are going to a two tight end set as their base Offense. The were looking for another starting tight end.

rkstevens

Reaction score
jesusphreak said:
Definitely, we are going to have an offense that is very difficult to contain.

Two pass-catching tight ends along with two receivers that will stretch the field, along with the ability to run on any play. Its a great formation and it makes it hard for defenses to know what you will do.

This should be great.
Not to mention, would we rather have Fabini/Rookie OT along with the FB (Polite) protecting the QB on the right or Fabini/Petitti/Rookie OT + Fosano/Witten protecting the QB (on plays where he doesn't go out for a pass)? Plus, Fosano has the size and probably speed should be able to make all the catches that Keyshawn made and should be able to block just as well. I think this was a good alternative to picking up a rookie OT and gives us more options. I think the Cowboys will try to pick up a safety in the third round. They probably didn't feel comfortable picking any that were available in the second round.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
pigskin fan said:
guess that means we won't be seeing that much of Crayton this year.
that's a shame.

If he can stick around he will be there when Glenn is done.