Drafted by Cowboys 5th Round Pick - QB Mike White, Western Kentucky (171st pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marchetta

Reaction score
Mike White QB Western Kentucky

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

Mike might be the most complete quarterback in this draft. He has the size and solid arm talent and strength but what he brings to the position is the mental and football intelligence that most quarterbacks are still learning when coming out of college into the pros. He can play in any style of offense, under center or out of the spread. He shows good accuracy from the pocket and his leadership skills and management of the game plan is excellent. Mike can help a team right away as a back up and at some point in his career if given the chance to get on the field he could be a starting quarterback.

CONCERNS
Mike shows the ability to over think himself and miss on the plays that require the quarterback not to miss on. He is stout in the pocket but has to learn to manipulate the pocket and extend passing plays to give him a chance to reset and make throws that count at the most important times of a game.

BOTTOM LINE
Mike does not make the talent around him better…the talent around him makes him better. He is a competent quarterback and with the right coach and in the right system with good talent around him Mike can be a starting quarterback in the NFL. Mike should be given time to develop better “instincts” for his position. It just might be the answer to him becoming a quarterback similar to a Tony Romo. Mike might not have as strong an arm as Tony had but their style of playing the game and “over thinking” is similar. Tony had a problem committing to the play that was called and was always thinking right up to the snap that there is a better play to call. Mike seems to struggle committing to the play call and at other times being stubborn and too committed to the play call. Confused? Basically what I’m saying is that Mike things too much and it affects his play on the field and until he can let his talent direct the play instead of his thinking he will struggle to make plays at the most important times of a game. There is nothing wrong with Mike’s overall talent, he does have to work on his deep ball and he might struggle in the red zone fitting the ball into those tight zones but the truth is Mike’s biggest issue to overcome is “over thinking” every process on the field, on every play from the play call, to his mechanics, to what spot to throw to and remembering to look off defensive backs and on, and on, and on, and on. Now most of you are going to think, isn’t this what every quarterback does at the line of scrimmage? That’s true every quarterback goes through this type of thinking but the difference is, the good one’s do it without even knowing they do it, the quarterbacks who don’t make it… do it methodically thinking and check off each box in their heads as they go through the process. With repetition and a stable coaching staff and staying in the same offensive system for a few years, Mike could easily become a starting quarterback in the NFL that’s if he can eliminate the “over thinking” but that’s the hitch, some players never do, they never turn the page and stop over thinking.

-Drew Boylhart (The Huddle Report) [PARAPHRASED]

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I hope by now we are not drafting starters against n the 5th.

That's a piss poor mindset IMO, starters have been found in the 7th, HOFers even. Do not believe you ever stop looking for starters, don't lower your expectations based on round.

Cap12

Reaction score
What is silly is that memories are real short around here. Have they really forgotten the last pure pocket passer with the cannon for an arm (Jerry lovingly called him the best arm hes ever seen, much to Troy's chagrin) even behind the best OL (at its peak) in the NFL?

And Weeden was a legit first rounder not some projected 6th best/2nd-3rd day guy.

I just hate drafting back ups when there are still bare spots or needed competition at key starting positions.
The only real need they haven't addressed is FS, but there hasn't been a decent one since day 2. Everything else would be backups (including DTs). White is an upgrade over Rush (and could eventually supplant Dak, but that is really up to Dak. He should be able to keep his job).

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Could and should have picked up 1-tech DT Kendrick Norton. One of the last few remaining true 1-techs and a type of player of need! Norton is good enough to challenge for a starter role, unlike White at QB.

I think Norton would've been the better pick there as well. However, you know as well as I do that Dallas doesn't value 1 Tech DT's.

I can't be too upset about White though. Did any of us REALLY feel comfortable with the Cooper Rush as the backup QB? I know I didn't.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could and should have picked up 1-tech DT Kendrick Norton. One of the last few remaining true 1-techs and a type of player of need! Norton is good enough to challenge for a starter role, unlike White at QB.

The fact he is still on the board shows teams see deficiencies. Maybe he would have been a better pick, but that remains to be seen.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Man, we neglected the QB position for years and now 3! It's a plethora of QB's, a bounty of QB's, a bevvy of three lol

reddyuta

Reaction score
I am not sure i get the Romo comparison. Romo was a Houdini in the pocket,this guy is too big to be able to move like Tony.

Cap12

Reaction score
Perfect name for the Dak Haters to embrace. Wow!!! A new hero and future Hall of Fame Quarterback. These lames will say anything to denounce our current quarterback.
Dak should be able to keep his job. White is not a project, but he's not quite NFL ready either. I'm not a Dak hater, but I want to see more from him. He took a huge step back last season and you can't blame everybody around him (unless you want to take away his ORoY in 2016, you can't have it both ways). I look for Dak to step things up next season, but if he can't I feel a heck of a lot better turning to Mike White than Rush.

Cap12

Reaction score
Here is Dane Brugler's take from Page 6 of his 2018 NFL Draft Guide (buy his guide!!!!!):

STRENGTHS: Prototypical size in the eyes of NFL teams…efficient delivery with natural arm velocity, throwing ropes…touch and placement downfield are both strengths to his game…quick reaction time as a passer – read, ball up, ball gone…spreads the wealth and uses every inch of the passing chart…understands defensive back assignments, finding vulnerable match-ups…small windows don’t intimidate him…takes baby steps in the pocket to maintain his base…improved poise vs. the blitz, keeping his eyes downfield…only one multi-interception game in his 27 starts at WKU…intelligence shows on and off the field, learning under four different offensive coordinators in college…senior captain and overcame adversity in 2017 (WKU assistant coach: “Most of the players were upset Brohm left and didn’t buy into us, but Mike was the guiding light. The players followed him. One of the best examples of leadership I’ve ever seen.”)…graduated with his undergraduate degree (Dec. 2016) and working on his master’s in sports administration…highly productive in his two seasons at WKU, finishing his career third in school history in passing yards (8,540) and second in touchdowns passes (63) – finished his senior season with eight straight 300+ passing yard performances.

WEAKNESSES: Accuracy suffers when he throws while falling away from his target…requires slight mechanical tweaks, notably his weight transfer, to improve the consistency of his placement…methodical pocket movements and needs to better navigate through pressure…limited athleticism and rarely extends plays with his feet…improved in this area, but has a history of clamming up when the pocket walls show cracks…accounted for more fumbles (17) than interceptions (15) the past two seasons…mostly pre-snap reads on tape, making decisions before his drop…bad habit of bird-dogging targets, locking onto his favored read…tends to overthrow deep seam and out routes.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Western Kentucky, White admirably filled the shoes of Doughty (school’s all-time leading passer) in WKU’s spread, shotgun offense, posting career numbers in 2016. He faced increased adversity in 2017 with the departures of his head coach Jeff Brohm, left tackle Forrest Lamp (sacked 44 times in 2017, up from 18 in 2016) and four of his top six receivers from 2016, including the school’s all-time leader receiver Taywan Taylor. But his play didn’t show a drastic drop off, joining Oklahoma State’s Mason Rudolph as the only FBS quarterbacks to throw for 4,000+ yards each of the last two seasons. With only one season of starting experience in high school and four different offensive coordinators (and three different head coaches) in his four playing seasons in college, White’s mental toughness and retention habits have been tested and prepared him for life in professional football. Overall, White has clunky feet and needs to stay in-rhythm and balanced when dealing with pressure, but he checks boxes with his size, arm strength and passing instincts to be a NFL back-up and potentially more.

GRADE: 3rd-4th Round

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Conversationally, this guy doesn't belong in the same zip code as Romo.

The fresh out of college Romo didn’t belong in the same area code as the player we came to know Romo as either. That’s not to say White will end up being special, but we already know the Romo story and Whites story is yet to be written.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The only real need they haven't addressed is FS, but there hasn't been a decent one since day 2. Everything else would be backups (including DTs). White is an upgrade over Rush (and could eventually supplant Dak, but that is really up to Dak. He should be able to keep his job).

Cowboys should have moved up to take Cruikshank, like Titans did in 5th. Or taken Cruikshank over Schultz in 4th.

FS is a greater need than TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.