5th year option, Franchise tag Micah, let him go?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the 5th year option will be for micah it all depends what the league calls him a DE or LB. That has to at least be let's say 15-20+ million right there. Next year you follow up with a franchise (which I realize he ISN'T going to like at all) hopefully he's finally declared a DE or LB, and he gets the tag number at that position. Clearly going into that next off season he's made 40 or so million total. Isn't that enough instead of giving him 40 million a year. By that time it'll probably be around 40 million to make him the highest paid non-qb player.

I want to keep Micah around, but at what cost do we do so??? Please give your thoughts.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
This coming season will be his 4th year. We picked up his 5th year. That means he has this year and next to play out. We could theoretically franchise him twice after that too. We did it to Anthony Spencer. Does he sign the franchise tags? Probably not... Why would he? He's been the most disruptive defensive player since coming into the league.

The cap isn't an issue to be honest. With how much money the NFL is getting now the cap is just going to continue rising. In 5 years 50m for a premium QB will seem cheap. We can sign all our players if we wanted to. Jerry just likes diddling his thumbs and letting every other team's players sign first so we can then overpay. Lol

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Trade one of the best defensive players in football? Why then we have to start over again. Guys on pace to be a hall of famer. Not his fault they can’t put a competent team around him. I’d much rather pay parsons than dak

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the 5th year option will be for micah it all depends what the league calls him a DE or LB. That has to at least be let's say 15-20+ million right there. Next year you follow up with a franchise (which I realize he ISN'T going to like at all) hopefully he's finally declared a DE or LB, and he gets the tag number at that position. Clearly going into that next off season he's made 40 or so million total. Isn't that enough instead of giving him 40 million a year. By that time it'll probably be around 40 million to make him the highest paid non-qb player.

I want to keep Micah around, but at what cost do we do so??? Please give your thoughts.
Please allow me to help you out. Micah signed a four-year deal worth $17,079,793. If the Cowboys opt to exercise his 5th-year option, it will cost them about $4.3 million. That's just about guaranteed to happen. The franchise tag would be foolish to use on him when you can figure out a new contract during his 5th year and pay the man.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Trade one of the best defensive players in football? Why then we have to start over again. Guys on pace to be a hall of famer. Not his fault they can’t put a competent team around him. I’d much rather pay parsons than dak
Why not is the question?

Micah is undersized. Physically takes a beating and does not finish the season the way he starts the season. He is an injury risk long term in my opinion.

If he can be traded for multiple high draft picks and free up to $30M to $40M to use in FA you have to consider it.

Will we find his replace in the draft most likely not, but you will still have $30M to $40M to use in FA.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Why not is the question?

Micah is undersized. Physically takes a beating and does not finish the season the way he starts the season. He is an injury risk long term in my opinion.

If he can be traded for multiple high draft picks and free up to $30M to $40M to use in FA you have to consider it.

Will we find his replace in the draft most likely not, but you will still have $30M to $40M to use in FA.
We continue to rush him in one place making it easy for him to take the beatings

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He is an injury risk long term in my opinion.
This is my major concern.....it's the nature of the position he plays. But I would still give him a top-value contract TODAY but only 2-3 year max. guaranteed money. In other words, I think he has a couple more years or so before his body starts breaking down. Sign him today, get the couple of years, then let him walk or trade him.

Adreme

Reaction score

There are 3-4 guys in the entire NFL who in the category of Parsons and teams do not get better losing them. You are very unlikely to find even 80% of that player with your first round picks. Therefore there is no real argument to not keeping that player when you have one. You want difference makers that the other team has to plan for and you do not want to be losing HoF level player entering their prime.

John813

Reaction score
The 5th year option was already exercised, a month ago.
He's been classified as a defensive end and is guaranteed 21.324mil next year.

IMO at some point he'll hold out like Bosa. The new contract > mandatory fines.
And with how this front office does business, they'll cave.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I would extend Micah now and trade CD. Try to get some good faith saving on the early extension and give an early out if necessary. WR's are easier to find. If Dak wants top money then he has to adjust to having Mahomes talent around him. No top WR's.