5th year option, Franchise tag Micah, let him go?

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is my major concern.....it's the nature of the position he plays. But I would still give him a top-value contract TODAY but only 2-3 year max. guaranteed money. In other words, I think he has a couple more years or so before his body starts breaking down. Sign him today, get the couple of years, then let him walk or trade him.
No reason at all to sign him today when we picked up his 5th year. We could easily have him play 2 more years before having to resign him, not even counting the Franchise tag.

Anytime a player wants or is demanding to be the highest paid at their position they are asking to be tagged. My approach as a GM would be here is a top 5, 4 year deal or you are getting tagged.

I would do the same for CD or anyone else.

Take it or leave it. It is up to you. End of negotiations.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/micah-parsons-offseason-holdout-dallas-cowboys-otas

"Dallas picked up Parsons' fifth-year option in May, designating him as a defensive end instead of a linebacker. Using that distinction, the Cowboys put his guaranteed money for 2025 at $21.324 million instead of the $24.007 million that would have come as a linebacker."

That article may have been wrong I did not check multiple sources. As I said pretty sure they screwed him. At the end of the day it wont matter he will get an extension. He is worth a billion dollars and he will get a billion dollars. The question is will that result in winning meaningful football games? We shall see.
https://www.nfl.com/news/cowboys-pi...llas has picked up the,end, is tagged as such.

So the article I read, which I can't find yet, had it the opposite way. So that one was wrong. And now the one you posted and this one are the correct ones.

bandfan

Reaction score
This is my major concern.....it's the nature of the position he plays. But I would still give him a top-value contract TODAY but only 2-3 year max. guaranteed money. In other words, I think he has a couple more years or so before his body starts breaking down. Sign him today, get the couple of years, then let him walk or trade him.
Obviously, we should only keep players who are not at risk of injury...:huh:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the 5th year option will be for micah it all depends what the league calls him a DE or LB. That has to at least be let's say 15-20+ million right there. Next year you follow up with a franchise (which I realize he ISN'T going to like at all) hopefully he's finally declared a DE or LB, and he gets the tag number at that position. Clearly going into that next off season he's made 40 or so million total. Isn't that enough instead of giving him 40 million a year. By that time it'll probably be around 40 million to make him the highest paid non-qb player.

I want to keep Micah around, but at what cost do we do so??? Please give your thoughts.
I wouldnt keep him.

Not that he is a good player. But he will cost way too much for what he delivers.

Id try to trade him. I think we would be avle to get at least a high 1st and a high 2nd rounder for him. That is good Business. We got him for a first only and had him for 4 years on a cheap deal.

If nobody wants him melk him as long as you can: 5th year option. FT him 2 times. Then let him go.

TheCritic

Reaction score
The main thing is to NOT resign him. It would be the worst resigning ever. I promise you the first major injury he suffers and he loses even a smidgen of his explosiveness, you will have the most overpriced prima donna in history. Totally not worth it.

cavemanct

Reaction score
He is going to sign with Pittsburgh people. Let him go. He's wasting away here anyways. Dallas won't win until they have a real general manager. Been all over the sports news for days now that he wants to play in Pittsburgh

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Exactly 2 draft picks and $30M to $40M could actually results into 4 or 5 players.
Yup and 4-5 good players means insurance vs a single injury and a higher chance of at least 1 player making a splash play when you need it most.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the 5th year option will be for micah it all depends what the league calls him a DE or LB. That has to at least be let's say 15-20+ million right there. Next year you follow up with a franchise (which I realize he ISN'T going to like at all) hopefully he's finally declared a DE or LB, and he gets the tag number at that position. Clearly going into that next off season he's made 40 or so million total. Isn't that enough instead of giving him 40 million a year. By that time it'll probably be around 40 million to make him the highest paid non-qb player.

I want to keep Micah around, but at what cost do we do so??? Please give your thoughts.
What you're suggesting would save money in real cash, but would be worse for the cap short term. As fans we should be concerned about the cap, not saving Jerry money.

If they don't extend Parsons after this season, he doesn't play another snap for the Cowboys. Forget franchise tag, he's not playing out his 5th year option. He will hold out.

Keep in mind, any extension Parsons gets, whether it be this year or next year, it doesn't start until 2026. That's when the 35-40M a year starts.

Flamma

Reaction score
No reason at all to sign him today when we picked up his 5th year. We could easily have him play 2 more years before having to resign him, not even counting the Franchise tag.
The Cowboys won't do this, but the reason to sign him this offseason would be for cap hit purposes. Dallas would get a 2-3 year window where his cap hit wouldn't be that bad. Letting him play on his 5th year option and franchise tag are high cap hit years.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Cowboys won't do this, but the reason to sign him this offseason would be for cap hit purposes. Dallas would get a 2-3 year window where his cap hit wouldn't be that bad. Letting him play on his 5th year option and franchise tag are high cap hit years.
They won't??? They are doing it to CD.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
What you're suggesting would save money in real cash, but would be worse for the cap short term. As fans we should be concerned about the cap, not saving Jerry money.

If they don't extend Parsons after this season, he doesn't play another snap for the Cowboys. Forget franchise tag, he's not playing out his 5th year option. He will hold out.

Keep in mind, any extension Parsons gets, whether it be this year or next year, it doesn't start until 2026. That's when the 35-40M a year starts.
Gotcha!! Save Jerry money so he can say he's all in again lol

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Please allow me to help you out. Micah signed a four-year deal worth $17,079,793. If the Cowboys opt to exercise his 5th-year option, it will cost them about $4.3 million. That's just about guaranteed to happen. The franchise tag would be foolish to use on him when you can figure out a new contract during his 5th year and pay the man.
Not $4.3 million for year five. He’d be paid over $20 million for the 2025 season.

Tussinman

Reaction score
A guy that's made 3 straight all pro teams isn't playing on a single year "prove it" deal. Thinking an athlete of his caliber will not only do it but do it twice is wishful thinking.