5th year option, Franchise tag Micah, let him go?

Creeper

Reaction score
I really don't like talking trades when it is pure speculation because unless we know what the deal is, saying yes or no is not really meaningful. I would trade any player if the price is right. I would not trade any player unless the price is right. For example, there is no way I would have traded Amari Cooper for just a 5th round pick. It wasn't worth it to trade him. He is clearly better than that. It is not that I would not have tried to trade him. It never hurts to see if a deal is out there, but when no team came forward to offer a 2nd round pick, I would have restructured his contract and kept him.

As for Micah, he is a game changing defensive player. People talk about stats and of course we need to see some production, but Micah changes what offenses do just by being a threat. Players like him do not come along that often. Would I trade him? Yes, but it would take a lot for me to give him up. I would want at least 2 first round picks and probably more. I would not trade him just to get him off the team though, not unless he becomes a real problem in the locker room.

To be honest, if I have to pick 2 out of CeeDee, Micah and Dak, I would trade CeeDee first. Of course it all depends on what Dak wants in his new contract.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am concerned about his playoff performances, but definitely do not want to get rid of him.

Only way I see him leave is if he does not want to be here.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He is going to want a lot of money. More than D-Law got. And Dak wants more than the last QB. Lamb wants more than the last WR. Time to pay the bills.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Micah deserves to be paid. His production is elite. I would operate on a good faith pursuit of long term deal with arguably the top defensive talent in the NFL.

That said— Micah appears to be all about Micah. And his leadership and influence on the team is questionable. As others have noted— he disappears when it matters most in Dec and Jan, so he is not without issues.

IMO— I also would look long and hard at attractive trade packages. I’m not looking to “get rid” of a generational talent. But if a team makes me an offer I can’t refuse, then so be it— but the compensation HAS to be worth it.

By dragging their feet on EVERY negotiation— this FO ends up paying MORE for every player they do sign long term.

I blame them for not following their own draft and develop strategy. As soon as you know you have a player you want long term— extend him and let somebody else reset the market.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The only wrong way to handle Micah is to tag him until you can't anymore and then let him walk. Want to lock him up long term? Hes a generational type of pass rusher so I have no issues with that. Want to trade him for significant draft capitol and save $35M per year? No issue with that either. Tagging the guy and letting him walk after he can't be tagged anymore to receive your comp pick? That's a Cowboy type of move, but also the type of move that keeps this franchise from making deeper runs.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The 5th year option was already exercised, a month ago.
He's been classified as a defensive end and is guaranteed 21.324mil next year.

IMO at some point he'll hold out like Bosa. The new contract > mandatory fines.
And with how this front office does business, they'll cave.
As usual

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Micah deserves to be paid. His production is elite. I would operate on a good faith pursuit of long term deal with arguably the top defensive talent in the NFL.

That said— Micah appears to be all about Micah. And his leadership and influence on the team is questionable. As others have noted— he disappears when it matters most in Dec and Jan, so he is not without issues.

IMO— I also would look long and hard at attractive trade packages. I’m not looking to “get rid” of a generational talent. But if a team makes me an offer I can’t refuse, then so be it— but the compensation HAS to be worth it.

By dragging their feet on EVERY negotiation— this FO ends up paying MORE for every player they do sign long term.

I blame them for not following their own draft and develop strategy. As soon as you know you have a player you want long term— extend him and let somebody else reset the market.
Agree with all of this just want to see a little more all around from him, not all on him but maybe Zim uses him in a better manner to get more out of him and not have him be so noticable

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Huh? He lines up all over. Probably more than any other player in the league.
The majority of the time he's lining up on the same side which I don't get. So you know you have a game plan for Micah he likes to line up here, your best OT is here, the cowboys coaches should move him around in order to get favorable match ups and to not keep it so easy for the offense to know where he is. It doesn't make sense to help the opposing offense my making their job easy in knowing where he'll be 80 percent of the game

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the 5th year option will be for micah it all depends what the league calls him a DE or LB. That has to at least be let's say 15-20+ million right there. Next year you follow up with a franchise (which I realize he ISN'T going to like at all) hopefully he's finally declared a DE or LB, and he gets the tag number at that position. Clearly going into that next off season he's made 40 or so million total. Isn't that enough instead of giving him 40 million a year. By that time it'll probably be around 40 million to make him the highest paid non-qb player.

I want to keep Micah around, but at what cost do we do so??? Please give your thoughts.
Obviously, the Cowboys already exercised their 5th year option, so Parsons is under contract until March of 2026. It is way to early to make decisions on his long-term contract.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why not is the question?

Micah is undersized. Physically takes a beating and does not finish the season the way he starts the season. He is an injury risk long term in my opinion.

If he can be traded for multiple high draft picks and free up to $30M to $40M to use in FA you have to consider it.

Will we find his replace in the draft most likely not, but you will still have $30M to $40M to use in FA.
Problem is with thinking you replace a Micah with 1 guy. You most likely can not. But you can duplicate that production with 2-3 guys which is actually much better for the team.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure what the 5th year option will be for micah it all depends what the league calls him a DE or LB. That has to at least be let's say 15-20+ million right there. Next year you follow up with a franchise (which I realize he ISN'T going to like at all) hopefully he's finally declared a DE or LB, and he gets the tag number at that position. Clearly going into that next off season he's made 40 or so million total. Isn't that enough instead of giving him 40 million a year. By that time it'll probably be around 40 million to make him the highest paid non-qb player.

I want to keep Micah around, but at what cost do we do so??? Please give your thoughts.
This has been discussed before.
And they already picked up his 5th year option. Paying him as a LB, which gave him more money. Around $25 million I believe.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If his agent lets him play another game without a massive extension he should be fired. Would be shocked if Parsons doesn't hold out in the end.
Hopefully it's actually worth it because he's finally put together a FULL campaign in a season instead of just sack numbers

MyFairLady

Reaction score
This has been discussed before.
And they already picked up his 5th year option. Paying him as a LB, which gave him more money. Around $25 million I believe.
Pretty sure they screwed him and it is the other way around.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
No they did not, they will pay him what is more.
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/micah-parsons-offseason-holdout-dallas-cowboys-otas

"Dallas picked up Parsons' fifth-year option in May, designating him as a defensive end instead of a linebacker. Using that distinction, the Cowboys put his guaranteed money for 2025 at $21.324 million instead of the $24.007 million that would have come as a linebacker."

That article may have been wrong I did not check multiple sources. As I said pretty sure they screwed him. At the end of the day it wont matter he will get an extension. He is worth a billion dollars and he will get a billion dollars. The question is will that result in winning meaningful football games? We shall see.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

:facepalm: Appreciate you trying to generate conversations, but this is getting out of hand. Please give your thoughts.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Problem is with thinking you replace a Micah with 1 guy. You most likely can not. But you can duplicate that production with 2-3 guys which is actually much better for the team.
Exactly 2 draft picks and $30M to $40M could actually results into 4 or 5 players.