7 Sacks Broken Down

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It is what happened. Compare my analysis of the Sua Fila getting killed to what happened in the video that someone posted.

The other, Sua gave up he got bull rush into Dak
But let's get to the nitty-gritty.
Dak has excuses and his OL is failing him in Pass Pro, but do you: In your heart of hearts, believe this is the Guy?

I get where plays go bad and things cannot be performed to the best of it's hopeful effort, BUT

Is Dak the guy? To you: is he The Man? SuperBowl winning QB in your eyes?

jblaze2004

Reaction score
people crazy if they blame these sacks on dak vs the saints. They was getting pressure fast and often. They know our playbook is full of long developing routes. Luckily our defense balled out. Even after the win I wish this would be Jason Garretts last year as our head coach. I hate this offensive scheme. They ran blitz all day. Should of ran more playaction and crossing routes/slants.

Ken

Reaction score
But let's get to the nitty-gritty.
Dak has excuses and his OL is failing him in Pass Pro, but do you: In your heart of hearts, believe this is the Guy?

I get where plays go bad and things cannot be performed to the best of it's hopeful effort, BUT

Is Dak the guy? To you: is he The Man? SuperBowl winning QB in your eyes?
Yes.

This kid has 'it' IMO. His desire, toughness, leadership and competitiveness are what you want.

If Wentz had his makeup he would be all world.

He just has to take the next step that takes time for young qbs. The things that people criticize him for, Goff and Wentz struggle with too. They are just in much better offensive systems.

Corso

Reaction score
Yes.

This kid has 'it' IMO. His desire, toughness, leadership and competitiveness are what you want.

If Wentz had his makeup he would be all world.

He just has to take the next step that takes time for young qbs. The things that people criticize him for, Goff and Wentz struggle with too. They are just in much better offensive systems.
No argument my friend. I'm glad to see the base of your foundation.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Thanks for breaking those sacks down. Last week I asked on a post, what is a bigger issue the O line giving up pressures on over 40% of our pass plays our Dak holding the ball to long 2-3 times per game. Of course the O line giving up pressures on over 40% of our pass plays. After this game all the haters just want to talk about Dak holding the ball to long when the biggest issue by far is the O lines poor pass blocking.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
People that absolve Dak of any kind of blame are just as bad as the ones that blame him for everything.

People do know there is a middle area, right?

Not everything is on a Dak, not everything is on the O line, not everything is on the receivers, and not everything is on the coaching staff.
Of course!, but the O line is struggling in pass protection much worse than Dak is holding the ball to long.

Corso

Reaction score
Thanks for breaking those sacks down. Last week I asked on a post, what is a bigger issue the O line giving up pressures on over 40% of our pass plays our Dak holding the ball to long 2-3 times per game. Of course the O line giving up pressures on over 40% of our pass plays. After this game all the haters just want to talk about Dak holding the ball to long when the biggest issue by far is the O lines poor pass blocking.
This ain't the OL of '16. That's for sure.

pupulehaole

Reaction score
They're only "coverage sacks" because Dak can't anticipate anybody becoming open. He waits half a second too long way too much, and in the NFL, that makes all the difference in the world.

Between Cooper and Beasley, one of them are open basically ANY time Dak drops back. Stop absolving Dak from blame
Yah the Dak apologists don't get this. Dak mostly doesnt throw people open he just throws to the wide open guy (and still misses lol). Obviously hes had some nice throws to get people open but those are few and far between.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
How do you presnap read them delayed blitzes NO was throwing out lastnight? I would like to hear this.
Your right. With these delayed blitz’s they are difficult to see pre snap. This is where our offensive scheme needs a quick read for Dak to go to on a blitz. Garrett’s system has always struggled with blitz’s! This needs to get fixed and fast, because other teams are going to blitz like NO’s did.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
So here's a question. Obviously the protection will break down various times during games for every team. And sometimes everyone is covered (though I believe there a opportunities on pretty much every play).

So, what percentage of the times should a QB be sacked when the protection or routes are not perfect? What percentage of the times should they fumble when they get hit? Just seems like he runs himself into things more than others and does not protect the ball like he should. Seven plays where he was sacked is simply an incomplete analysis.

And I'm not here to kill dak. He's our QB and I hope he plays well every single week. But something doesn't pass the sniff test with respect to pocket awareness.

I don't think you can name some kind of percent that will equal to all QBs. It's different for pure pocket passers than for more mobile ones. Pocket passers learn how to maneuver within the pocket, but they still need that pocket. Dak is a mobile QB and that can be good and bad. Bad because he can run himself into sacks, but he can also run and pick up those crucial 3rd downs with his legs, like last night. Dak has to learn when to throw it away, tuck and run, and when to try and extend the plays. Think some of it is overconfidence in his own ability and make those decisions quicker. I think that's something a vet QB coach or QB consultant can help him with.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Since everyone LOVES to blame Dak that he is holding the ball too long and it is all his fault...let's take a look at the 7:

1st: 3rd and 5 at NO 5; No where to go with the ball, DT breaks free in under 3 seconds, Makes contact with Dak 3.06 seconds. There was no one open and those that claim he had Zeke coming across the front, not open until he is about to get hit and Dak has already pulled it down. COVERAGE SACK. OL blocking was ok...not great.

2nd 3rd and 6- Sacked in 2.5 seconds. Sua Fila got beat bad. Had no chance at all. NOT DAKS FAULT.

3rd: 2nd and 6- Cowboys go empty set motioning Zeke out wide. N.O. goes looks to be man cover 2... Total coverage sack here as Dak had no where to go with the ball....at all. Sacked in 3.92 seconds. Started running at about 3.3 seconds and almost made it back to LOS. COVERAGE SACK. OL was good.

4th: 3rd and 7: This is the play where he pulls it down and gets the ball hit out of his hand by the defender in 2.3 seconds. Sua Fila got completely destroyed and pushed back into Dak in that amount of time. NOT HIS FAULT. OL was terrible.

5th- 1st and 10- Dak Sacked in 2.5 seconds. Protection was horrible as they brought a delayed blitz by the lb and he came running free on a stunt. Little chance for Dak to do anything. Don't have coaches film for this one so I can't see all of the options...may have had a crossing route with a bit more time. NOT DAK'S FAULT. Didn't Hold the ball to long. Limited option to dump to if any.

6th: 2nd and 8. Dak bails on a pretty good pocket in under 2 seconds. Not sure if this was a run try by Dak but this was the play Dak got facemasked with no call. If he stayed in the pocket, had Beasley in the flat where he was looking initially. On DAK as he ran into that sack (Do wonder if he was trying to run though)

7th: Sacked in 2.61 seconds. Fumbled trying to pass...can't see if he had a play without coaches film.

Horrible Protection!!! Not Dak's fault.

So 1 out of 7 can be directly attributed to Dak. The other's are a poor OL or Coverage Sacks.

Please stop repeating the stupid mantra that they are Dak's fault. Thank you.
He leads the league in sacks caused by the QB. I want to say he’s closing in on 20 for the year. His lack of pocket awareness is a legit issue and I don’t see the point in downplaying it. Those are drive killers and for a guy that maybe has the worst ball handling skills in the league it’s a recipe for disaster.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Good post. I don't blame him for all of them. He does need to start throwing some balls in the dirt as to not lose yardage, and fumble. A good QB coach would tell him that over and over. Tuna used to scream at Tony "get the ball out tony, Get The Ball Out Tony, GET THE BALL OOOOOUT TONY." We need someone to do the same to Dak to develop that sense.

marchetta

Reaction score
Since everyone LOVES to blame Dak that he is holding the ball too long and it is all his fault...let's take a look at the 7:

1st: 3rd and 5 at NO 5; No where to go with the ball, DT breaks free in under 3 seconds, Makes contact with Dak 3.06 seconds. There was no one open and those that claim he had Zeke coming across the front, not open until he is about to get hit and Dak has already pulled it down. COVERAGE SACK. OL blocking was ok...not great.

2nd 3rd and 6- Sacked in 2.5 seconds. Sua Fila got beat bad. Had no chance at all. NOT DAKS FAULT.

3rd: 2nd and 6- Cowboys go empty set motioning Zeke out wide. N.O. goes looks to be man cover 2... Total coverage sack here as Dak had no where to go with the ball....at all. Sacked in 3.92 seconds. Started running at about 3.3 seconds and almost made it back to LOS. COVERAGE SACK. OL was good.

4th: 3rd and 7: This is the play where he pulls it down and gets the ball hit out of his hand by the defender in 2.3 seconds. Sua Fila got completely destroyed and pushed back into Dak in that amount of time. NOT HIS FAULT. OL was terrible.

5th- 1st and 10- Dak Sacked in 2.5 seconds. Protection was horrible as they brought a delayed blitz by the lb and he came running free on a stunt. Little chance for Dak to do anything. Don't have coaches film for this one so I can't see all of the options...may have had a crossing route with a bit more time. NOT DAK'S FAULT. Didn't Hold the ball to long. Limited option to dump to if any.

6th: 2nd and 8. Dak bails on a pretty good pocket in under 2 seconds. Not sure if this was a run try by Dak but this was the play Dak got facemasked with no call. If he stayed in the pocket, had Beasley in the flat where he was looking initially. On DAK as he ran into that sack (Do wonder if he was trying to run though)

7th: Sacked in 2.61 seconds. Fumbled trying to pass...can't see if he had a play without coaches film.

So 1 out of 7 can be directly attributed to Dak. The other's are a poor OL or Coverage Sacks.

Doesn't matter. Dak sucks! I know that for a fact; I read it here. :rolleyes:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Between Cooper and Beasley, one of them are open basically ANY time Dak drops back.
I was reading with an open mind until this over the top exaggeration. I’ve seen too many replays when both receivers basically run to coverage and give up, especially in the red zone. Some times guys are open; sometimes they are not.

Every QB needs to improve in anticipation, but as for Dak, my biggest complaint is not throwing the ball away.

Aikman was great at looking and throwing the ball away before there was trouble...live for another play or possession.

Romo seldom gave up on a play, and it was a fault. He took too many sacks and threw too many ints through most of his career.

I want to see Dak learn when to give up on a play earlier. His issue isn’t the ints but the sacks and fumbles, but for the same reason. Not every pass play is going to work no matter how long you hold the ball.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He should have thrown the ball away in many of those plays or better anticipated the free rusher. Everyone being covered is not an excuse for a sack. Busted pass protection is part of the game -- you will take sacks but he can't take as many as he has this season.
He’s going to beat Bledsoe’s record of 49 this next game with 3 more after that. It’ll never be surpassed. That’s one to be proud of.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yep, these folks that want to blame Prescott for ALL those sacks clearly have an agenda.
And those saying ANY criticism of him is saying ALL also has their own "agenda".

You don't think for one minute that some people so desperately want to pretend Prescott is blameless and that lousy OL is just not giving him time?

I can tell you with a lot of certainty, that subgroup pushes their agenda far harder than the opposite and it more numbers.

It is far easier to defend because it is a defense mechanism.

Nobody wants to admit that maybe the QB is holding the offense back. It is painful and hard to reconcile.

We are getting dangerously close to that stage.

Blake Bortles had his team in the AFC Championship game on the heels of a great defensive effort last year.

Where are they now? Oh.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You don’t get sacked seven times and none(or the majority) of them aren’t your fault....
Sacks are primarily a QB stat unless you quite simply have an inept OL.

We have seen Prescott take sacks even when he has this line intact.

Unless you are quite interested in self delusion, his slow processing will cost a higher percentage of the sacks than anything else.

No, it is not ALL of them. But it is a majority of them.

Just take a look at the time he has to throw. The information is out there for easy consumption.

lwehlers

Reaction score

totally agree that the oline needs to step it up in these last four games. martin was the only one who played well the rest constantly were beat at the very start of the centers snap. need smith back next week against the eagles. I also agree that Prescott needs to quit holding the ball for more then five seconds. the ball needs to be out faster.

Reactions: Ken