78 NFC title game vs rams observations

Flamma

Reaction score
I remember being annoyed when they started cluttering up the screen with the time and the score and down/distance.

I wanted all 19 inches of that tube powered, state of the art television screen.
I watched the 1981 NFC championship game on a 12 inch black and white TV. Why? because the only other TV in the house was unavailable. My best friend had the same problem and had to come over to my house to watch the game on the same fabulous screen.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You're right, you had to do more work in your head. It's like remembering phone numbers. But I still remember it being annoying. Especially when there was more than one game on and I would flip to a game to check the score. Nope.
yeah if you flip to another game you had to wait until a commercial and they would then show the score or say it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yep, and there’s no dispute that for about 4 years in the early 90’s we not only had the best team in Cowboys history and most successful run , however brief it was.

But for its totality the prior era from 60’s - 80’s was much more successful. No to mention a more proud era with a consistent SB contender for much and a world class ran organization.

It’s difficult to even imagine 12 championship appearances in 17 years( 7 in a decade) and 5 SB’s in a decade.

The only regret is we had opportunity to win more championships but we lost to a couple of the greatest teams in NFL history ( GB & Pitt).
yeah gb and pitt were just a little better , 2 great coaches too in Lombardi and Chuck Noll.
with steelers, noll let bradshaw call the plays, and landry confined roger to his playcalling, which I often thought made the difference
when they lost those 2 SB's.
Roger never got to call his own plays, and I think had landry let him, they might have done better. Roger was a smart guy he would have
been a good play caller.

rambo2

Reaction score
stronger and faster doesnt win games by itself.
The older days guys were a lot tougher, with more team pride, and desire to win.

Imagine if the 78 cowboys played the 2024 cowboys, but with the rules like they were in 78 ! lol
Head slaps were legal and so were many other things.
so even if the 24 team is bigger and faster they couldnt take the punishment.
The 24 team would kick their ***.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
So this popped up on youtube and Ive been watching it over last 2 nights. Here are some observations:

1) The field sucks. Worse than HS fields are today.
2) Absolutely no trash talk, celebrating routine plays.... NONE. Player gets a sack and gets up and goes to the huddle.Team gets a turnover and nobody running into the endzone doing stupid crap. Its GREAT!
3) Cowboys RB are in motion all over the place right up till the snap.
4)Game is much more fast paced. No extended commercials.
5)Punters suck compared to todays guys. Ram punter was avg 35 yards with a 2 second hang time.....lol
6) No begging for PI on every pass play.
7)1 replay and move on
8)QBs when on sidelines are actually standing and watching the game. You NEVER see that today
9) Charlie Waters was as good as I remember.
10) This one is worth repeating. A TD is scored and they go about their business. No dance, no trash talk, no running to find mama in the stands..... oh it is wonderful.
11) OJ Simpson in several commercials........ knowing his future was a little strange.
12) No game clock is show the entire damn game. It is very frustrating having no clue about game or play clock.

Pretty interesting watching this since I was only 8 when this was played.

78 Title Game
The prophet Hollywood Henderson 68 yard pick six, and dunk over the goal post got winded at the end of the pick 6 TD). The best thing since Babe Ruth called his shot. He said it and did it. The original #56. The best athlete at Linebacker in Dallas Cowboys history. Play 67 of 100 on Jonesboys website.

If they put Parsons at MLB/WLB in a 4-3. Parsons has a shot to challenge for best athlete at LB. But Henderson was a pure WOLB that could blitz, cover the pass, and tackle. If not for the drugs, He would have been a HOF player. But he won the lottery 2 times and is sober, that's Hollywood.

Blackrain

Reaction score
In the late 70's, before the quarterback protection rules, the Dallas Cowboy had a 6 ft 9 defensive end that was the overall #1 pick in the 1974 draft. In this particular game, the Rams starting quarterback, Pat Haden, went out with a broken finger on his throwing hand.

On the other side of the Cowboys defensive line they had the 1977 Super Bowl co-MVP's Randy White and Harvey Martin. That season, they had combined for a total of 30.5 sacks.

Harvey Martin was also the 1977 DPOY, recording 20 sacks in a 14 game season.

The other DT was in his final, 13th season, Jethro Pugh. There was no rotation. All four were three down players who anchored the #1 defense against the run that season.

The fact that neither Ed Jones nor Harvey Martin are in the HOF is an historic injustice.

Randy White was the #2 overall pick in the 1975 draft.
Yes sir it was called doomsday for a reason.
We haven't had a defensive line like that since