9-7 what is the plan?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Jason will be given more defensive help and a extended contract gitty up

Is giving JG an extension the right move? There are still major issues with the game plan and offensive design that can't be ignored. We all heard get Romo a running game a line we will see a difference. He's got that which tells me it's not Romo or the run game there is one constant since 2007. If you up JG what do you do in FA? Who do you keep who walks?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Oh boy... So you have the same expectations at 2-7 as you do at 7-3? I'm just trying to understand that here because if you do this conversation is done and there is no point. I can't see how the expectations are not different. Yes the end result is what matters, but how you get there and the circumstances makes a difference and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise

Your expectations are all based on the randomness of the schedule. The team has simply beat the bad teams and lost to the good teams, and with the exception of Seattle all of the bad teams were at the beginning. Randomness of the schedule.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I don't normally "debate" with you, it's pointless. Like I said, you're a sarcastic, miserable crybaby with very few redeeming qualities who tries to go in circles with everyone. However, that sarcasm does make you say a lot of clever things at times, so I give you a fair share of "likes". Carry on.

Look in the mirror

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Your expectations are all based on the randomness of the schedule. The team has simply beat the bad teams and lost to the good teams, and with the exception of Seattle all of the bad teams were at the beginning. Randomness of the schedule.

Yes the look back at the schedule argument got it. Leading up to those weeks and playing those games are meaningless now because it's the randomness of the schedule lol. Ok bud

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
What would Jerry do?

He'd try the same thing again and expect a different result.

Probably right.. You know looking at the end result and completely ignoring another end of season collapse... Reminds of that insurance commercial you almost had it.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
In 1984 we started off 7-4 and ended up 9-7.
In 1985 we started 5-1 and ended up 9-7.
In 1986 we started 6-2 and ended up 7-9.

It's not like this is the first fast start rodeo. All this angst over a bad game. We've had great games in November and had nothing to show for it. Let the season play out and see what happens but I don't think the outcomes are going to change anything.

Here is the most likely scenario to all of this.

Sign Dez.
Franchise Murray.

What do you do if we go 11-5 and get to a Divisional playoff game or further?
You spend every resource on defense and pay attention to developing a QB.

What do you do if we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs?

Is anything going to get blown up? No.
Is Jason Garrett going anywhere? No.

The only thing I can see changing the above is going 8-8 - then all bets are off.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

It's not like this is the first fast start rodeo. All this angst over a bad game. We've had great games in November and had nothing to show for it. Let the season play out and see what happens but I don't think the outcomes are going to change anything.

Sign Dez.
Franchise Murray.

The only thing I can see changing the above is going 8-8 - then all bets are off.

A logical response... But really is there a difference going 9-7 beating the Commanders? Or going 8-8? Why shouldn't it change? I mean beating a team that is having all sorts of issues in the locker room with the QB and coach shouldn't change the offseason plan. If they go 11-5 it changes everything on how you proceed I would think. It means you beat teams with winning records on the way to the playoffs. That tells me this team is further along heading into the postseason and offseason. However they are now 2-3 with a needle point down it wasn't just the 1 game they haven't been good the last 5

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Sign Dez.
Franchise Murray.

I see.

So your conviction on what's obviously going to happen and needs to happen is based off of one victory in the win column.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Is giving JG an extension the right move? There are still major issues with the game plan and offensive design that can't be ignored. We all heard get Romo a running game a line we will see a difference. He's got that which tells me it's not Romo or the run game there is one constant since 2007. If you up JG what do you do in FA? Who do you keep who walks?

I saw a big difference in the run game,in the Romo's QBR .lots of improvement

Coy

Reaction score

Sign Dez.
Franchise Murray.

I just can't see Garrett coming back if we finish at 9-7, not after being at 8-3 and finishing the year with a 1-4 record in our last 5 games.
That being said, I don't think we finish 9-7, it'll be 10-6 or 11-5 IMO

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

I would agree however that may not be the case after the next 3 weeks. I'm just not so sure the needle is pointing up at this point in the season.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
A logical response... But really is there a difference going 9-7 beating the Commanders? Or going 8-8? Why shouldn't it change? I mean beating a team that is having all sorts of issues in the locker room with the QB and coach shouldn't change the offseason plan. If they go 11-5 it changes everything on how you proceed I would think. It means you beat teams with winning records on the way to the playoffs. That tells me this team is further along heading into the postseason and offseason. However they are now 2-3 with a needle point down it wasn't just the 1 game they haven't been good the last 5

I'm basing my scenario on absolutely everything I read and hear from Broads, to Sturm, to Cowlishaw to Gosselin and on and on.

Jerry is comfortable with Jason. The feeling is he's changed the culture and progress has been made. They simply will not derail these years of work on a season or a game. I'm not saying you're wrong - I'm saying what is almost certain to happen.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I'm basing my scenario on absolutely everything I read and hear from Broads, to Sturm, to Cowlishaw to Gosselin and on and on.

Jerry is comfortable with Jason. The feeling is he's changed the culture and progress has been made. They simply will not derail these years of work on a season or a game. I'm not saying you're wrong - I'm saying what is almost certain to happen.

I still can't get over the culture change that Chip has made in Philly in 1-2 years. I think if this team gets whooped again in Philly if your Jerry you have to step back and really consider your options.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score

Agreed, but in parity driven NFL it has to equal wins and enough to get in to the playoffs, nothing else will suffice. There are very few "arrows" there are very few right "directions" from year to year, (unlike in the past) when injuries happen and when a game plan fails, you have to have a coach who can motivate right then and there and a coach who can adjust, I don't think Garrett is that guy but I'm tired of changing coaches every few years when the GM and his rules seem to stay the same

Naruto

Reaction score
9-7 is as good as 8-8 this year considering we'd most certainly be out of playoff contention if we're going into the final week 8-7.

I'd actually bet good money Jerruh would make his decision about Garrett prior to that final game so there won't be much to debate.

Me I'd go after Jimbo Fisher. He wins games, recognizes EJ Manuel would suck in the NFL and kills bats with his bare hands. I'd also target Cody Kessler if he comes out this year

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014...-killed-a-bat-with-his-bare-hands-in-practice

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
9-7 is as good as 8-8 this year considering we'd most certainly be out of playoff contention if we're going into the final week 8-7.

I'd actually bet good money Jerruh would make his decision about Garrett prior to that final game so there won't be much to debate.

Me I'd go after Jimbo Fisher. He wins games, recognizes EJ Manuel would suck in the NFL and kills bats with his bare hands. I'd also target Cody Kessler if he comes out this year

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014...-killed-a-bat-with-his-bare-hands-in-practice

I like Cody.. Living in SoCal and working with a bunch of USC alum and watching this kid play I like what I see.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Agreed, but in parity driven NFL it has to equal wins and enough to get in to the playoffs, nothing else will suffice. There are very few "arrows" there are very few right "directions" from year to year, (unlike in the past) when injuries happen and when a game plan fails, you have to have a coach who can motivate right then and there and a coach who can adjust, I don't think Garrett is that guy but I'm tired of changing coaches every few years when the GM and his rules seem to stay the same

really, I think Garretts strength is motivation and we've seen it since his been the HC
adjustments might be another issue I can't say. Red will be re upped I think that is
a given. Lets see have the team plays out the year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So after reading the other 2 threads I want some opinions and what you would do for 2015? I don't see us winning the next 3 games. I don't like the matchup with the Bears Wrs and obviously I don't think the Eagles win on Thanksgiving was a fluke. Then you have a red hot Luck coming to town and a team with no pass rush that made Mark Sanchez look like a HOF QB.

So what if this team ends 9-7? With the list of FA we have and Romo turning 35 and probably this biggest collapse in franchise history without any major significant season ending injuries what do you do? Fire JG? Draft a QB? I think we will be at a fork in the road and should consider rebuilding. If the Eagles can compete in 1 year with a new coach and multiple QBs why are we wasting time with JG?

On offense they have to get a legit backup QB. I assume that Romo will be better after a full off-season without surgery.

On defense they need a dynamic pass rushing DE. They need to replace Carr at CB with a mid-tier free agent and add a CB from the draft. They need a legit 1-tech but I think Josh Brent with Bishop as a backup can upgrade that position. If not, a 1-tech that is better than Hayden shouldn't be that hard to find.

It more likely that things would get worse if Jerry hired a new Head Coach. Garrett has learned to minimize Jerry's impact on the football operations. Jerry could jump in and make a mess while a new HC is coming up to speed on how to work with Jerry.