A Brand Spankin' New Kellen

Dre11

Reaction score
Holding his weekly press conference with reporters Thursday, the Dallas Cowboys‘ rookie offensive coordinator strongly defended his embattled head coach, who, Moore explained, is no more culpable than anybody else for the disappearance at the Superdome.

“JG gets the heat when we score 10? No, we went through the same process the exact same way,” he said, per ESPN’s Ed Werder. “Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t.’’

Moore is snitching on himself, but for good reason, as the play-calling was surprisingly inconsistent against the Saints, an issue that cannot be laid at the feet of Garrett.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
And if that doesn't work, MM will take over the play calling. :laugh:

That's strictly up to Jerry and Mike McCarthy, if and when the situation calls for it. My post was meant to convey what happened during JG's role as HC. Assuming MM decides that Moore's play calling is poor, we'll see if Jerry allows McCarthy to take charge of that duty. Hopefully, whatever Kellen Moore does will prove effective. It's my hope that Jerry wouldn't prevent MM from assuming play calling duties if KM proves he can't handle it. It might well take more time than some of us would be happy with if that were to happen, though. We all know it takes time for our FO to make such decisions. ;)

Last edited:

silvernblu

Reaction score
If true you can bet Mike McCarthy will maximize KM for all he is worth.

Mike McCarthy.

A proven well respected offensive mind in the league who hates to give up play calling,

announced he would call plays for Dallas.

meets with Kellen Moore and keeps him as OC

announces he will give up play calling to Moore

What else do you need to know?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The problem with Kellen Moore's offense was Garrett. We should all know by now Garrett doesn't like things to be too complex on either side of the ball. So as soon as they got their first illegal motion penalty (week four) all of Moore's pre-snap motions went out the window. We went back to the Garrett ways in the blink of an eye.

If Moore is allowed a little more latitude and McCarthy coaches him along, things should drastically improve. Especially given the fact that we are going from the Air Coryell ofense to the West Coast offense.

Johnny23

Reaction score
But the only constant was Garrett. Garrett lost playcalling duties why....... cause he stinks at calling plays.
Man I still have nightmares about the Tashard Choice plays being called in that Commanders game. That kind of braindead stuff was Garrett special.

LawNation

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys will be better this year... I Just know can feel it... Watching how everything will fall right in order....

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Man I still have nightmares about the Tashard Choice plays being called in that Commanders game. That kind of braindead stuff was Garrett special.
The one he fumbled right before half, which Commanders returned for a TD. After that Garrett never wanted to do much before half or so it seemed.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike McCarthy.

A proven well respected offensive mind in the league who hates to give up play calling,

announced he would call plays for Dallas.

meets with Kellen Moore and keeps him as OC

announces he will give up play calling to Moore

What else do you need to know?

Just say "Yes" Mike.....

DMByaIxUMAEMNCw.jpg:small

Johnny23

Reaction score
The one he fumbled right before half, which Commanders returned for a TD. After that Garrett never wanted to do much before half or so it seemed.
Right. I still don't have the words for those things. I am looking forward to Mike coaching and giving him a chance. I think even though we ran similar stuff Kellen did a good job as oc. I want to see what he does with McCarthy.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Right. I still don't have the words for those things. I am looking forward to Mike coaching and giving him a chance. I think even though we ran similar stuff Kellen did a good job as oc. I want to see what he does with McCarthy.
I really like this coaching staff, the big thing for me is the improvement of this team just from a coaching aspect. Managing the game will look much better, calling correct plays in the right situations, not icing our own kicker, knowing when to go for it on 4th and when to punt, knowing when to be aggressive and when not to be and hopefully the issue with telling Austin not to return the punt against Minnesota this past season. So many coaching issues from Garrett to even begin to name them all

kskboys

Reaction score
That's what I observed. If something didn't work one time, JG curled up in a fetal position.

And the opposite also. Remember JG thinking a 51 yard FG was a chip shot just because our kicker had made some of those previously?

kskboys

Reaction score
I really like this coaching staff, the big thing for me is the improvement of this team just from a coaching aspect. Managing the game will look much better, calling correct plays in the right situations, not icing our own kicker, knowing when to go for it on 4th and when to punt, knowing when to be aggressive and when not to be and hopefully the issue with telling Austin not to return the punt against Minnesota this past season. So many coaching issues from Garrett to even begin to name them all
That's what I think.

Like McC or not, he's a legit NFL mind.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The problem with Kellen Moore's offense was Garrett. We should all know by now Garrett doesn't like things to be too complex on either side of the ball. So as soon as they got their first illegal motion penalty (week four) all of Moore's pre-snap motions went out the window. We went back to the Garrett ways in the blink of an eye.

If Moore is allowed a little more latitude and McCarthy coaches him along, things should drastically improve. Especially given the fact that we are going from the Air Coryell ofense to the West Coast offense.
Garrett doesn't like a work environment that has other potential replacements for his job,, people smarter than him.
Garrett found the perfect work environment, working for a boss that allowed him to only hire non threats, and then when Moore was actually brought in, JG was allowed to intervene.
JG is your classic Sociopath with free reign.

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
That's what I observed. If something didn't work one time, JG curled up in a fetal position.

And the opposite also. Remember JG thinking a 51 yard FG was a chip shot just because our kicker had made some of those previously?
Right. Garrett had so many blunders its hard to keep track