A Brand Spankin' New Kellen

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
As bad as things got last year I can’t imagine they didn’t let Kellen call the shots as a way to turn over every stone.

The idea that Kellen just sat on the corner and collected a paycheck is crazy. He had same culpability on offense that Richard did On defense. It wasn’t all Garrett’s fault.

Only difference is Kellens offense showed signs of life and didn’t have huge conflict in the locker room where as Richard was fighting with coaches and players and had no results.

Kellen proved to be too pass happy IMO. Kitna and Moore showed their Mike Martz influence which is chuck it deep 10-15 times a game.

Hopefully McCarthy balances him out although he was too pass happy in GB as well

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So much blame for Garrett who had very little control on what Moore actually called during the game. Garrett was more involved with the game plan and that seemed to boost their performance at the end of 2018. But I'm not sure why he gets so much hate for a guy who put together a top offe ce for most of the last 10 years using an u drafted guy and a 4Th round pick. What's Mike done without a HOF QB? Rodgers wasn't a killer running the called play. His best moves were after plays break down thus the making whatever miked called useless.

BHendri5

Reaction score
As bad as things got last year I can’t imagine they didn’t let Kellen call the shots as a way to turn over every stone.

The idea that Kellen just sat on the corner and collected a paycheck is crazy. He had same culpability on offense that Richard did On defense. It wasn’t all Garrett’s fault.

Only difference is Kellens offense showed signs of life and didn’t have huge conflict in the locker room where as Richard was fighting with coaches and players and had no results.

Kellen proved to be too pass happy IMO. Kitna and Moore showed their Mike Martz influence which is chuck it deep 10-15 times a game.

Hopefully McCarthy balances him out although he was too pass happy in GB as well

Yes, Kellen is toooo pass happy just like Linehan was

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I still think its an odd situation because all we heard from McCarthy on lessons he learned from being fired was that he would call his plays at his next stop. That went out the window when Jerry told McCarthy to meet his new favorite son Kellen Moore. And how long of leash does Moore have? If offense isn't clicking by week 6 does McCarthy put his foot down. This team has so many variables this can go any which way. I say just sit back and enjoy the show as we watch aging wealthy man trapped in his head try to navigate a fast changing environment.

Scary thought, although, it's something that every coach must deal with if he's working for Jerry. MM should approve of Kellen's ways if what he claims is true. He stated long before he was hired that he was an ardent admirer of Kellen's play calling. Nevertheless, it remains to be seen how well those two mesh together. It's infinitely more than a tough task pleasing everyone, that's for sure.

Hopefully, they'll do well enough working in tandem to make the Dallas offense a successful one. I'm sure it will be a work in progress to see what works and what doesn't. As always, patience will be required. I do believe you're quite practical in saying we'll likely do best to just sit back and enjoy the show, however. That's, obviously, about all we can do as fans, diehard or not. ;)

Last edited:

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Im not sold on KM yet. Last season at times our offense looked confused and lost in critical moments and seemed to struggle to keep drives going. The fact that we were behind so much playing catchup to other teams prevent D contributed to our high offensive numbers.I hope it was ALL Garretts fault but we shall see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can’t wait to see. Unfortunately it’s probably not going to be this year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO, that's what we're going to see this season. I think the kid was strapped by JG, and still showed some promise, albeit w/ way too much Garrett still shining through.
It will be very interesting. At the beginning of last season, KM seemed to be creatively aggressive. As the season wore on and the opponents got better and games got tighter, it was as if he became Jason Garrett. Too conservative and as creative as vanilla ice cream. I’m hopeful we will see KM open it up again.

fredp22

Reaction score
Still not in Moore camp. Sean Payton and Belichick played him like the 1st year OC he was and he was totally lost.
What has this guy done to make him the genius that some on here claim?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It never fails to amaze me that some people think they know exactly who was responsible for play calling last season. I've never heard any quotes out of Dallas telling us whether Kellen was in complete control, or if Garrett was in full control, or if it was somewhere in between, which I find most likely. Was it 75% KM, or was it 75% JG? .... 90/10? 10/90? 15/85? If there's someone on this board who has some type of proof to show the truth of it, by all means, let's see it.

That said, it seemed that they did things here and there that were completely out of character for JG, and those things were for the most part fairly successful. There were also things that seemed to be the same old same old, sometimes successful, sometimes not so much.

My guess is that MM is going to watch KM do his thing in camp, then if he likes what he sees, he'll decide what plays he wants to run in the games, but KM will have the opportunity to run the offense mostly by himself, unless MM finds him inadequate, at which point he'll insert himself as play caller.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I completely agree. IN his first year and under the restrictions of Garrett, the kid still had the Cowboys as the #1 offense in football. And Dak was a different type of QB in his offense.

Cant wait to see what he will do in his 2nd season with more rope to do as he likes and under the guidance of a REAL offensive mind in MM.

even aside from however he may have been restricted by Garrett, just having a year of experience developing game plans and calling plays will also help. I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It never fails to amaze me that some people think they know exactly who was responsible for play calling last season. I've never heard any quotes out of Dallas telling us whether Kellen was in complete control, or if Garrett was in full control, or if it was somewhere in between, which I find most likely. Was it 75% KM, or was it 75% JG? .... 90/10? 10/90? 15/85? If there's someone on this board who has some type of proof to show the truth of it, by all means, let's see it.

That said, it seemed that they did things here and there that were completely out of character for JG, and those things were for the most part fairly successful. There were also things that seemed to be the same old same old, sometimes successful, sometimes not so much.

My guess is that MM is going to watch KM do his thing in camp, then if he likes what he sees, he'll decide what plays he wants to run in the games, but KM will have the opportunity to run the offense mostly by himself, unless MM finds him inadequate, at which point he'll insert himself as play caller.
It should be clear Kellen called the plays - there isn’t time for discussion among coaches between plays, and it would be obvious if Garrett called plays completely apart from Moore. But I suspect Garrett was part of the game planning and gave Moore some clear guidelines on what he wanted. And, of course, there might be a few individual situations during games where Garrett gave instruction on what he wanted.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
IMO, that's what we're going to see this season. I think the kid was strapped by JG, and still showed some promise, albeit w/ way too much Garrett still shining through.

I would agree he was held back by Garrett. I would also agree he had a decent first season as OC. I also firmly believe McCarthy is an excellent play caller so Moore will learn a lot from him.

DanA

Reaction score
The offense looked better last year than it had in the years before. Special Teams and the Defense giving them bad field position blunted things a bit.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It should be clear Kellen called the plays - there isn’t time for discussion among coaches between plays, and it would be obvious if Garrett called plays completely apart from Moore. But I suspect Garrett was part of the game planning and gave Moore some clear guidelines on what he wanted. And, of course, there might be a few individual situations during games where Garrett gave instruction on what he wanted.
Yes, JG likely told him how he wanted to start the game, and possibly how to start each offensive series, but not individual plays. It's also possible he told Kellen when to let off the gas and be more conservative.

I imagine he could communicate with KM through the headset, if there was something specific he wanted to do, but we have no way of knowing how much of that he did.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Controversial statement: If you look strictly at their times as offensive coordinators, I don't know that the results or reality back up the idea that McCarthy is the better pure offensive mind. When he was only allowed to handle the offense and nothing else, he wasn't better at that than Jason was.

I'll buy that the results after they became head coaches clearly show McCarthy is the better leader or head coach. But if I was hiring an offensive coordinator (in a scenario where I've already got a great head coach handling the leadership and big-picture stuff) and I had to choose between Jason or Mike purely to run the offense and nothing else, not sure McCarthy is the pick.

LOL......I wont even broach this ridiculous argument. Garrett was one of the worst OC's I have ever seen. Having Talent and romo to rack up the yards doesnt change that.