A Brand Spankin' New Kellen

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You keep up son. Jones ain't giving nobody full control.

If Jerry was dictating the coaching staff, Garrett would have received a new contract.

Jerry has slowly handed the reins to his son Stephen and SJ pushing Garrett out the door was the final piece to that transition unless you count camera/microphone time which Jerry which always seek to maximize for himself (although locally SJ seems to show up on radio more than Jerry now).

Dre11

Reaction score
If Jerry was dictating the coaching staff, Garrett would have received a new contract.

Jerry has slowly handed the reins to his son Stephen and SJ pushing Garrett out the door was the final piece to that transition unless you count camera/microphone time which Jerry which always seek to maximize for himself (although locally SJ seems to show up on radio more than Jerry now).

if you think Jerry isn't still running things , you lost your mind like everyone else. He may listen more, but he's still running things, he popped last season on 105.3 the fan unexpectedly and let that be known.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm not a huge Moore fan, but I'm not against him... Genius or not, he was thrown in too early and for some inexplicable reason I've soured on the promote them early and let them learn on the job mentality. But that's not on him. That's on those who put him in the position. Hopefully things get better with Garrett (and his playbook )gone.
Oh, absolutely. No way no how he should've been the OC. And he may fail due to being promoted too early, hard to say at this point. However, since I did like some of what I saw of the O under his guidance, offhand I believe that w/ a better hand to guide him and a year of experience under his belt, he will start "getting it".

kskboys

Reaction score
Which part?

We know Garrett along with other positional coaches and Moore took more control of the game plan the last 4 games of 2018. Multiple sources including garret himself.

We know Garrett wanted to call his own plays in 2019 but was over ruled by Jerry.

We don't know exactly how much I put he had during the week.

We do know Garrett doesn't get too much involved on game day except things like goinng for it, clock management etc. He has always let the other coaches do their job even when they were bad at it. Like when he didn't insist his best receivers were on the field.
That Garrett had zero to do w/ playcalling. You had said he had nothing to do w/ it, but in this post you're saying we don't know, which I completely agree with. All conjecture.

It looked the opposite to me, that he still had way too much input.

cern

Reaction score
Oh, absolutely. No way no how he should've been the OC. And he may fail due to being promoted too early, hard to say at this point. However, since I did like some of what I saw of the O under his guidance, offhand I believe that w/ a better hand to guide him and a year of experience under his belt, he will start "getting it".
I think Moore did a good job last year. What I wondered about most was taking zeke out of the game plan so early. Sounds like a Garrett move. This year under mac Moore should get his opportunity to shine.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I'm excited to see what Kellen can do under a fresh coach. Not Garrett, who sucked the life out of everyone. Kellen was calling plays from Garrett's playbook and gameplan. He had little input. Same as Linehan. He fell on the sword for Garrett. By everyone's accounts, he has a brilliant offensive mind but he just needs his own space to work. Garrett would never allow that.

Dre11

Reaction score
I think Moore did a good job last year. What I wondered about most was taking zeke out of the game plan so early. Sounds like a Garrett move. This year under mac Moore should get his opportunity to shine.

lol...where do you people come up with this BS
Garrett is as run heavy as it comes, why would he take Zeke out the game when run the ball down team's throat and be physical is what he wanted to do most.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think so.

No matter how smart Mo is, he needs guidance as he finds his way. He got bad guidance(if any) last year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No he's not.

First 5 years Garrett was as pass happy is it gets. Would abandon the run in the first quarter. Now with Zeke its almost like he was stuck on plodding Zeke up the middle. I remember around the Demarco Murray time we were one of the teams that used play action the least.

Garrett was as bad as it gets. The guy had no business anywhere near an offense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think so.

No matter how smart Mo is, he needs guidance as he finds his way. He got bad guidance(if any) last year.

Guidance indeed. And certainly you know Garrett was trying to be a big influence on the gameplans.

Any time there was a big game things got real conservative and Zeke was pounded up the middle on first down annoyingly.

kskboys

Reaction score
First 5 years Garrett was as pass happy is it gets. Would abandon the run in the first quarter. Now with Zeke its almost like he was stuck on plodding Zeke up the middle. I remember around the Demarco Murray time we were one of the teams that used play action the least.

Garrett was as bad as it gets. The guy had no business anywhere near an offense.
Yup. Before that season, JG just wouldn't run the ball. And even in that season, there were several times times we ran the ball to get inside the 20, then would do nothing but pass.

Never thought I'd ever see anyone claim that JG loves to run the ball. Weird stuff.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yup. Before that season, JG just wouldn't run the ball. And even in that season, there were several times times we ran the ball to get inside the 20, then would do nothing but pass.

Never thought I'd ever see anyone claim that JG loves to run the ball. Weird stuff.

Some of the things you hear on here you have to wonder what these people are thinking. All this stuff really isnt difficult.

cern

Reaction score
lol...where do you people come up with this BS
Garrett is as run heavy as it comes, why would he take Zeke out the game when run the ball down team's throat and be physical is what he wanted to do most.
Why? I don't know. But unless you completely missed last season, he did it several times. I would have your failing memory checked out. It might be symptomatic of a larger problem.

fredp22

Reaction score
Mo knows the game of football, hence the "genius" term. He wrote his own playbook in HS. Very impressive.

Now, even if he's a genius at playcalling, he still needs to learn the NFL game and the nuances of working against NFL caliber D's and their DC's.

Geniuses also have to learn, they don't automatically know.

Moore shows every sign of not being a JAG, and in fact being the complete opposite. There is a very good chance that Mo will be good w/ an experienced playcaller like McC to guide him.

And to cite examples, both Belichick and Landry failed for 5 years or so before the "got it". It takes time, even for the very best, especially when considering Mo was thrust into this position way before he was ready. And even then, at times his playcalling was brilliant. Of course, if you're looking for signs in the negative, you can find those also.

The 4 I mentioned all came out of the gate as successful coordinators. Landry and Belichick needed some time as u say but as HC- both were already terrific coordinators.

Moore did open up the offense a little and expand the field-I'll give him that but I didnt see him knowing how to use his strengths during the game against the other teams weaknesses and adjust on the fly or "call the game".
Landry when interviewed after games would talk about weaknesses he was noticing and how he was trying to exploit them. If the team adjusted to cover their weakness Landry would know how to then hit the weakness that would create. He was constantly thinking/adjusting and hitting the other teams weaknesses
Moore on the other hand seems to be thinking this is a good play against a scenerio not taking into account its against an all pro cb while on the other side the odds may normally be a little worse but its against a cb that so far hasnt been able to stop anyone.
dk if I'm explaining it right but Landry was playing a chess game that was constantly changing while Moore is just calling plays that should work for the scenario given regardless of personnel.

he may know how to draw up plays but that doesnt impress me. all 32 OC's should know that. I didnt see him managing the game

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
The 4 I mentioned all came out of the gate as successful coordinators. Landry and Belichick needed some time as u say but as HC- both were already terrific coordinators.

Moore did open up the offense a little and expand the field-I'll give him that but I didnt see him knowing how to use his strengths during the game against the other teams weaknesses and adjust on the fly or "call the game".
Landry when interviewed after games would talk about weaknesses he was noticing and how he was trying to exploit them. If the team adjusted to cover their weakness Landry would know how to exploit the weakness that would create. He was constantly adjusting and hitting the other teams weaknesses
Moore on the other hand seems to be thinking this is a good play against a scenerio not taking into account its against an all pro cb while on the other side the odds may normally be a little worse but that cb hasnt been able to stop anyone.
dk if I'm explaining it right but Landry was playing a chess game that was constantly changing while Moore is just calling plays that should work for the scenario given regardless of personnel.

he may know how to draw up plays but that doesnt impress me. all 32 OC's should know that. I didnt see him managing the game
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!! What you just pointed out are the things he needs to learn. I agree.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Won't believe it till I see it. Especially after that debatical play call vs Egals on 4th & goal w/ division crown on the line & Moore decides to bench our 2 top WR's. :rolleyes: