A good indicator of whether the Cowboys are a playoff team

aria

Reaction score
On defense...but the Cowboys offense is far and away more talented.
Far and away? How so? Their offense was ranked higher than ours, they got more yards than us per game by a wide margin and averaged more points than us per game. And no, Zeke wouldn’t have made up the difference by himself.

Billyd

Reaction score
ITS real simple..I think i stated it earlier, The things that will make the Cowboys a playoff team, have zero to do with Philly, so stow that crap and listen..

ONE healthy Oline with Connor getting a heavy dose of Alexander..

A dynamic running game With all of the tools on display..Elliot, The full back, Austin, Smith..With a integrated Short passing game along with timely passing to hurns, Gallup, and a rejuvenated Beasley being moved around the field to take advantage of mis matches....Swaim and Jarwin and a nice use down the seam with solid blocking in the run game and the ability for either to slip out in the passing game..Bookends..A deep threat with Gallup, hurns, and Thompson or hell just one of them consistently..

THIS team must be efficient on offense meaning scoring in the first half..Well like over 50% and with tds not fgs. When the cowboys force teams to try and score with them the Cowboys win most contests..However Our offense must score in the first half, and must run the ball, start breaking defenses then..Or close..You will know this if Elliot has 80 yards min in the first half. THATS indicative of a oline beatdown..

DEFENSIVELY .

i believe we will rush the passer well, but I also think the Cowboys better find a way to stop the run more consistently..The reason will be that teams will try to do what they did last year..Gash us with the run if The above inconsistent in the first half..

OUR linebackers must continue to learn how to excel in this defense, whether that means Lee,Smith, Lve or LVE In the middle and Smith at the SAM. IF they can take Smith and let him loose Covering TEnds or Rushing the passer in Passing situations, this could be a special year for Smith and all the lbrs..

THE secondary needs to step up the level Jones and CHIDIO need to show their potential at the corners, and Lewis and brown need to shut down the slots in the Nickel..The real question will be if Woods is ready and I think he is to be the middle fielder @fs. AND if Frazier can become the box Safety full time..Heath I believe will be even better With more limited snaps, and smarter play around him..

It sounds like a pipe dream and it probably is..Nice one though!

Billyd

Reaction score
Far and away? How so? Their offense was ranked higher than ours, they got more yards than us per game by a wide margin and averaged more points than us per game. And no, Zeke wouldn’t have made up the difference by himself.

Did they?

Nov

http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=400951817

Dec

http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=400951759

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Bro there was an article about the front office featuring JJ and SJs egos, and they touched on some of there dysfunction..For instance you mention 2015. WHICH was in a large part on SJ for not aquiring a backup qb, and to lesser degree not drafting a rb to replace Demarco, alibi DMC had a decent year. HE took responsibility for that in a early 2016 interview. I ALSO BLAME Stephen for The Chaz Greene stupidity due to a reach in the 2015 draft to get him..It smacked of a JJ pick that Stephen reached for JJ ON,..My point is that we need to blame Garrett for things he does, not things that Stephen does playing Gm..

All Or Nothing also showcased the dysfunction. Stephen and Jerry have better seats in the coaches meetings than the actual coaches besides Garrett. That is a huge issue. They have their hands on all parts of the team. Clips showed they treat the franchise like a mom pop ran supermarket.

Jerry and Stephen love the bluelight specials on players teams don't want to risk. Gregory, Jaylon Smith, Sean Lee, Chaz Green. And some others.The Byron Jones reach in 2015 was terrible as well. In fact, that whole draft was crap. Seems they are on the right track since then but time will tell.

Billyd

Reaction score
All Or Nothing also showcased the dysfunction. Stephen and Jerry have better seats in the coaches meetings than the actual coaches besides Garrett. That is a huge issue. They have their hands on all parts of the team. Clips showed they treat the franchise like a mom pop ran supermarket.

Jerry and Stephen love the bluelight specials on players teams don't want to risk. Gregory, Jaylon Smith, Sean Lee, Chaz Green. And some others.The Byron Jones reach in 2015 was terrible as well. In fact, that whole draft was crap. Seems they are on the right track since then but time will tell.

Im glad you noticed that..i believe that you get JJ out and Stephen to just shutup and take the reccomendations of McClay, Garrret, Linehan and marinelli and stop playing the JJ Risk game and actually finish a rebuild, and last stop trying to prove you(SJ AND JJ) know dick about football, this team would be so much better off.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I should expect nothing less from you. LOL EVERY team in the NFL sits most of their starters in Week 17 if they have everything locked up from a playoff perspective and nothing to play for. EVERY team. The NFL season takes a tremendous toll on players' bodies and the rest is needed. If the players cannot sit for a week and pick up where they left off, it's on the players. I can just imagine what the response would be if we had played our starters against the Eagles in Week 17 in 2016 and a couple of them sustained injuries that kept them from playing against Green Bay.

Yes, they all do it.

Oh wait. No, they don't. Most notable that Bill guy in New England.

The coward gave his team a 2 and a half week vacation. Then they came out flat in the playoffs. This isn't hard to figure out.

Billyd

Reaction score
Yes, they all do it.

The coward gave his team a 2 and a half week vacation. Then they came out flat in the playoffs. This isn't hard to figure out.

This is funny who is a coward and What is your premise. SERIOUS Risen..Lol

aria

Reaction score
I answered his statement about one guy making a difference head to head...In games played and I think you need to look. FAR AND AWAY YOU SAID! LOL
Whatever, I obviously don’t even know what hell you’re talking about nor am I sure you do.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
Cowboys didnt have elliot, Lee, Smith yada..Its a wash bro and means exactly the same..Nothing...And once again the Cowboys didnt have a choice..Still As Great as Philly was last year..Nice goose egg last game. LOLOL

Eagles didn't have a choice either in the first game.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Well that doesn't mean they have more talent.

Their increase in yards is almost certainly due to more possessions because of how good their defense was, and the difference in offensive points was 1.5 ppg. Tyron AND Zeke absolutely account for that. I mean, for all his flaws, Dak is miles ahead of Blake Bortles.

jsb357

Reaction score
This is a very young team.

It needs a great leader at the top to lead them to victory.

Thank goodness we have that.

10zsXsz.gif

:facepalm:

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
Cowboys didnt have elliot, Lee, Smith yada..Its a wash bro and means exactly the same..Nothing...And once again the Cowboys didnt have a choice..Still As Great as Philly was last year..Nice goose egg last game. LOLOL

Laugh all you want about the goose egg. I'm sure not crying that Cowboys starters:

Struggled to score 6 pts.
Failed to get EE 120 yds. to get him 1,000 yds. on the season
Couldn't get EE a 4 yd. (3.8) per carry average
Couldn't get EE a TD, rushing or receiving
Prescott had his 2nd lowest completion % 56.7%
Prescott had his 5th lowest passing yds. total - 179
I'll stop there. This vs. Eagles backups
Cowboys beat the Eagles on the scoreboard. But it's not like their win knocked the Eagles out of having homefield advantage for the playoffs.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Yes, they all do it.

Bull****.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Laugh all you want about the goose egg. I'm sure not crying that Cowboys starters:

Struggled to score 6 pts.
Failed to get EE 120 yds. to get him 1,000 yds. on the season
Couldn't get EE a 4 yd. (3.8) per carry average
Couldn't get EE a TD, rushing or receiving
Prescott had his 2nd lowest completion % 56.7%
Prescott had his 5th lowest passing yds. total - 179
I'll stop there. This vs. Eagles backups
Cowboys beat the Eagles on the scoreboard. But it's not like their win knocked the Eagles out of having homefield advantage for the playoffs.
Dallas wasn't playing for anything in that game either. I'm sure knowing they were already out of the playoff race put quite a damper on the enthusiasm. It's human nature.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
If I hadn't seen it w/ my own eyes....I wouldn't have believed it. but that Seahawks loss last year...told me everything I need to know about this organization. Having everything to play for....this team came out like it was a pre-season game. So lackadaisical...coaches missing in warm ups....players half *** stretching. No organization what so ever...IMO the players had checked out of this staff...and was hoping to get people fired. Yeah...there may have been some churning of this staff...but still the same clowns are running this circus.

So I don't see how any of this changes....It's only gonna get worse. Brutal schedule + incompetency = No playoffs. No playoffs= Gotta find a scapegoat. I don't see how Red survives....:rolleyes:
The sad part you take JG out and the team will do the same.It is a vicious circle and the only way out of it is by replacing the management from head to bottom which might not happen for years to come.

aria

Reaction score
Well that doesn't mean they have more talent.

Their increase in yards is almost certainly due to more possessions because of how good their defense was, and the difference in offensive points was 1.5 ppg. Tyron AND Zeke absolutely account for that. I mean, for all his flaws, Dak is miles ahead of Blake Bortles.
I won’t argue with Bortles being worse than Dak and I’m sure Zeke would have padded those stats slightly but I doubt he would have made up for all of the short comings in te categories I mentioned. Sure, Tyron was hurt but I’d assume they had their injuries as well.

Defense also made have played a role, like when we had the No 1 rush defense in 2016, but regardless our offense is not far and away better IMO. I also don’t know where you’re coming up with 1.5 ppg difference, I’m seeing they were 4 ppg better.

T-RO

Reaction score
Is it possible to instill mental toughness when you're giving players a vet day off the 2nd day of training camp?

Garrett showed what he's all about in 2016 when his safe space mentality got his own team eliminated in the playoffs.

Playing Lee and Lawrence every day in camp isn’t mental toughness. It’s mental stupidity.