A great analogy of our biggest problem using a restaurant as the example

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Only someone who never cooked or never stepped in a kitchen would make this analogy. It makes no sense. If there is a recipe, then any of millions of chefs can cook it. Just a matter of getting the right ingredients and following the recipes.

Nice to see people are giving @Bobhaze participation trophies. Pretty much anyone hating on Jerry gets pats on the back from all the irrational and illogical haters suffering from Jerry Derangement Syndrome.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Only someone who never cooked or never stepped in a kitchen would make this analogy. It makes no sense. If there is a recipe, then any of millions of chefs can cook it. Just a matter of getting the right ingredients and following the recipes.
You couldn't be more wrong there lol. Yes, following a recipe and getting the ingredients will make your family happy at Thanksgiving.

That's got nothing to do with what separates a restaurant from a great restaurant though. It's all about the dude/lady in the kitchen. ;)

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Someone shared a link with me yesterday where a guy was talking about why the Cowboys have been so playoff inept for 28 years. (The language was inappropriate at times so I can’t share it) I thought it was perfect.

Any way, the analogy goes like this:
  • A rich man buys a famous restaurant with a great reputation, but the place had slipped a little in prior years.
  • The owner hires a great chef named Jimmy who in short order turns the place around.
  • The food is great, the atmosphere great, and crowds come back. The awards begin to flow - this is the best restaurant in town.
  • The owner becomes concerned that chef is getting too much credit. The owner and chef clash and the great chef leaves.
  • At first the restaurant continues to do well with chef Jimmy’s recipes, but over time the restaurant declines without the great chef.
  • The owner begins to hang out in the restaurant more and more, places his photos all over the place and becomes the centerpiece of the restaurant.
  • The owner vows to never again hire a chef that will take away the spotlight from him. The owner won‘t hire the best chefs anymore.
  • The restaurant continues to do good business but it’s all based on past reputation. The loyal crowds who continue showing up agree that food isn’t that great but somehow the reputation of the restaurant remains high.
  • The owner continues hiring mediocre chefs and simply blames them for mediocre food.
  • The crowds keep showing up anyway.
Can‘t think of a better analogy of what’s happened to this franchise.
Not in New Orleans where almost everyone knows how to cook. They just don't go. If they go, they put bags over their heads.

saints-fans.JPG

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nice to see people are giving @Bobhaze participation trophies. Pretty much anyone hating on Jerry gets pats on the back from all the irrational and illogical haters suffering from Jerry Derangement Syndrome.
Ok. Your opinions are welcome.

kskboys

Reaction score

Yup, the guy in the corner at the restaurant sings just as good as George Strait, every time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
You couldn't be more wrong there lol. Yes, following a recipe and getting the ingredients will make your family happy at Thanksgiving.

That's got nothing to do with what separates a restaurant from a great restaurant though. It's all about the dude/lady in the kitchen. ;)
I have worked in a restaurant. I cook a lot on the weekends and follow a lot of recipes from exceptional chefs. The taste of the food comes from a chef who knows what he or she is doing in the kitchen following tried and true recipes. Number one is fine ingredients and number two is a recipe and number three is consistency following number one and two.

There are a lot of restaurants that are success
and it does not have to do with the taste of the food. You can be successful with decent food and a very hot and friendly wait staff.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Yup, the guy in the corner at the restaurant sings just as good as George Strait, every time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Another one suffering with JDS - Jerry Derangement Syndrome with an absolutely irrelevant and silly analogy. Singing is not cooking. Recipes are not the same as song sheets.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Someone shared a link with me yesterday where a guy was talking about why the Cowboys have been so playoff inept for 28 years. (The language was inappropriate at times so I can’t share it) I thought it was perfect.

• A rich man buys a famous restaurant with a great reputation, but the place had slipped a little in prior years.
  • The owner hires a great chef named Jimmy who in short order turns the place around.
  • The food is great, the atmosphere great, and crowds come back. The awards begin to flow - this is the best restaurant in town.
  • The owner becomes concerned that chef is getting too much credit. The owner and chef clash and the great chef leaves.
  • At first the restaurant continues to do well with chef Jimmy’s recipes, but over time the restaurant declines without the great chef.
  • The owner begins to hang out in the restaurant more and more, places his photos all over the place and becomes the centerpiece of the restaurant.
  • The owner vows to never again hire a chef that will take away the spotlight from him. The owner won‘t hire the best chefs anymore.
  • The restaurant continues to do good business but it’s all based on past reputation. The loyal crowds who continue showing up agree that food isn’t that great but somehow the reputation of the restaurant remains high.
  • The owner continues hiring mediocre chefs and simply blames them for mediocre food.
He hires Chef Jimmy who already had a Michelin Star.

Jimmy is so good as cook for Jerry's restaurant that he is awarded 2 more Michelin Stars.

Jerry the owner's ego starts to hurt because everybody thinks of Jimmy and his amazing food when it comes to the restaurant.

Jerry makes a wise crack that any one of 500 chefs could cook for my restaurant.

Jimmy leaves.

No chef at the restaurant is ever awarded a Michelin Star even 28 years later.

plasticman

Reaction score
I think it may be more along the lines of........

The great chef, Jimmy, leaves. The owner appoints himself as head chef and even makes his son the assistant to the head chef.

By the way, neither of them ever worked in a famous restaurant before. When the owner was attending college, he had a part time job in a very popular fast food restaurant. He feels that this is the only experience he needs because his fast-food restaurant earned an award while he was there.

J_Allen

Reaction score
He hires Chef Jimmy who already had a Michelin Star.

Jimmy is so good as cook for Jerry's restaurant that he is awarded 2 more Michelin Stars.

Jerry the owner's ego starts to hurt because everybody thinks of Jimmy and his amazing food when it comes to the restaurant.

Jerry makes a wise crack that any one of 500 chefs could cook for my restaurant.

Jimmy leaves.

No chef at the restaurant is ever awarded a Michelin Star even 28 years later.
Barry Switzer got a Michelin star but he showed up and got out of the way. Except during the 94 NFC Championship game.

Alweezy

Reaction score
This is a pretty good analogy.

I would even add a driver to this analogy to account for how the food is delivered:

* After a few years of planning the owner decides to offer to go orders and delivers the food to patrons around the city.
* He has several options for what type of food gets delivered, and what type of vehicle to use to begin his fleet.
* Many people apply to the job to be driver but all fail due to one reason or the other
* Eventually one person is able to show they can drive the car to deliver the food to the patrons at home.

Everything is fine for a few months, the driver learns the routes and begins to improve on deliveries. Everyone is satisfied and the restaurant begins to show signs of getting back to it's day of previous glory. However one day the driver gets sick and calls in. Everyone in the business is worried. "Someone still needs to deliver the food they say!" But who? The chef can't do it.. he's cooking the food. The restaurant owner can't do it, he's running the business. The backup driver can't do it either, he's on vacation.

The head chef eventually finds another person that can deliver the food that night. The new driver doesn't have a license, doesn't know the routes as well as the original driver, and probably could go back to his original job, it was a one night deal in a pinch. Everyone is excited that the new guy stepped up and saved the business that night so the business owner satisfied as well decides to try this experiment out a little bit longer since the reliability of the first driver is now under question. When the new driver eventually makes a mistake, everyone in the business is disappointed the food was not delivered, but forgot the fact that the driver doesn't have a license.

Swanny

Reaction score

This proves that the fans or customers are the true problem. Why should the owner change when his business continues to make more money than anyone else. Money is all that matters. Nothing changes until customers hurt the owners pockets.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

You need to add (if your Sous Chef is the DC), the Maitre d and his ability to expertly handle couples, but gets confused when dealing with larger (more complex) parties.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it may be more along the lines of........

The great chef, Jimmy, leaves. The owner appoints himself as head chef and even makes his son the assistant to the head chef.

By the way, neither of them ever worked in a famous restaurant before. When the owner was attending college, he had a part time job in a very popular fast food restaurant. He feels that this is the only experience he needs because his fast-food restaurant earned an award while he was there.
Excellent additions.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good post. I would only inject the great chef added a secret ingredient into all his recipes. The owner kept buying the groceries for the kitchen but the recipes lacked the one thing that elevated the restaurant menu over all others.

Eventually, the owner had other chefs attempted to replicate the secret ingredient after years passed. Unfortunately, the owner slipped into the kitchen constantly, opened pots, and mixed in his preferred spices and sauces--diluting the quality of the chefs' entrees. The owner had always believe he was as good as any chef, especially his great chef.

I mentioned it in another thread. It is never a good thing having too many chefs in one kitchen. Then you have his kids running through the kitchen getting in everyone's way on top of that...