A great analogy of our biggest problem using a restaurant as the example

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I've heard that analogy for years and it doesn't work. There are millions of restaraunts to eat at there is only one favorite football team you can't just become a ravens fan.
Actually fans can just become Ravens or anyone else fans .

With today’s technology you can watch all their games and stay in touch with other fans and news of any team.

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
Actually fans can just become Ravens or anyone else fans .

With today’s technology you can watch all their games and stay in touch with other fans and news of any team.
Only if your not a real fan as much as I complain and curse my team out I could never root for another team it's not as easy as that. I've been a fan for over 30 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Passing off to kids means the business gets sold.. we could only hope
That’s my greatest hope they siblings don’t get along and forces a sale.

But my hunch is Stephen or whatever family member over sees football operations won’t be run in similar fashion as Daddy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Only if you’re not a real fan as much as I complain and curse my team out I could never root for another team it's not as easy as that. I've been a fan for over 30 years.
So many fans in Fantasy era are more casual fans. If their team isn’t winning they lose interest and look for someone else.

And Fantasy fans will root for teams with their players so will help their player stats.

No longer is fandom all about your local or regional team like it was when I grew up,

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
So many fans in Fantasy era are more casual fans. If their team isn’t winning they lose interest and look for someone else.

And Fantasy fans will root for teams with their players so will help their player stats.

No longer is fandom all about your local or regional team like it was when I grew up,
Casual fans yes die hard fans could never do it. You can follow teams anywhere I live in nj but you can't just become attached to a team when you have rooted for someone for 30 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Casual fans yes die hard fans could never do it. You can follow teams anywhere I live in nj but you can't just become attached to a team when you have rooted for someone for 30 years.
IDK. I have a couple cousins . One moved to KC area are Chiefs now and other to Monterey and are now pulling for SF. And have adopted those teams.

They still like Cowboys but without as much to cheer for have a new team to follow. I give them crap about it .

And casual fans are more common than used to be. People want to follow a winner. That’s how we attracted so many favs generations ago,

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So Dallas Cowboys fans show up for whatever slop is being served.
Diehard fans do.

Dad told me early on as Baylor fans that losing builds character . Anybody can root for a winner. My response was winning is more fun.

Only reason Cowboys have fans who hopped on around the country is our success generations ago. It’s why Lion fans don’t have fans across the country up until now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I attended a Lions game at Pontiac stadium in early 90’s. Talk about diehard fans. They haven’t won a championship since 1957.

They thanked us . Said when Cowboys come to town the game sells out and everyone can watch.

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
IDK. I have a couple cousins . One moved to KC area are Chiefs now and other to Monterey and are now pulling for SF. And have adopted those teams.

They still like Cowboys but without as much to cheer for have a new team to follow. I give them crap about it .

And casual fans are more common than used to be. People want to follow a winner. That’s how we attracted so many favs generations ago,
Then they were never die hard fans. Rooting for another team for a a playoff run is one thing. Im pulling for the Lions but I have no allegiance to them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then they were never die hard fans. Rooting for another team for a a playoff run is one thing. Im pulling for the Lions but I have no allegiance to them.
Like I said. They are still Cowboy fans. But they have become wagon fans where they are living now.

They just have more to root for with them.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Someone shared a link with me yesterday where a guy was talking about why the Cowboys have been so playoff inept for 28 years. (The language was inappropriate at times so I can’t share it) I thought it was perfect.

Any way, the analogy goes like this:
  • A rich man buys a famous restaurant with a great reputation, but the place had slipped a little in prior years.
  • The owner hires a great chef named Jimmy who in short order turns the place around.
  • The food is great, the atmosphere great, and crowds come back. The awards begin to flow - this is the best restaurant in town.
  • The owner becomes concerned that chef is getting too much credit. The owner and chef clash and the great chef leaves.
  • At first the restaurant continues to do well with chef Jimmy’s recipes, but over time the restaurant declines without the great chef.
  • The owner begins to hang out in the restaurant more and more, places his photos all over the place and becomes the centerpiece of the restaurant.
  • The owner vows to never again hire a chef that will take away the spotlight from him. The owner won‘t hire the best chefs anymore.
  • The restaurant continues to do good business but it’s all based on past reputation. The loyal crowds who continue showing up agree that food isn’t that great but somehow the reputation of the restaurant remains high.
  • The owner continues hiring mediocre chefs and simply blames them for mediocre food.
  • The crowds keep showing up anyway.
Can‘t think of a better analogy of what’s happened to this franchise.
In a restaurant, to turn it around, cost has to be monitored non-stop.

Cost then can't be full cost charged. That has to be a small percentage sold for. Right now, Dallas production is top shelf and top 3 in NFL on cost of production.

Menu has to be tweaked to maintain this ratio. How good it is when sold. Is the food good, the team production very good?

Success is in buying cheaply and adjusting to style of product, food focused upon. Monitoring the menu for variety and and season. Warm, wet, or cold and demand. Surprises attract results as well.

The Cowboys have a steady attendance,,,and produce, so turn around as in Restaurant Impossible, problems and appeal can also be turned around quickly accountability and current checks on cost and orderly change. Working the atmosphere effects the change with good team work.

Last edited:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Someone shared a link with me yesterday where a guy was talking about why the Cowboys have been so playoff inept for 28 years. (The language was inappropriate at times so I can’t share it) I thought it was perfect.

• A rich man buys a famous restaurant with a great reputation, but the place had slipped a little in prior years.
  • The owner hires a great chef named Jimmy who in short order turns the place around.
  • The food is great, the atmosphere great, and crowds come back. The awards begin to flow - this is the best restaurant in town.
  • The owner becomes concerned that chef is getting too much credit. The owner and chef clash and the great chef leaves.
  • At first the restaurant continues to do well with chef Jimmy’s recipes, but over time the restaurant declines without the great chef.
  • The owner begins to hang out in the restaurant more and more, places his photos all over the place and becomes the centerpiece of the restaurant.
  • The owner vows to never again hire a chef that will take away the spotlight from him. The owner won‘t hire the best chefs anymore.
  • The restaurant continues to do good business but it’s all based on past reputation. The loyal crowds who continue showing up agree that food isn’t that great but somehow the reputation of the restaurant remains high.
  • The owner continues hiring mediocre chefs and simply blames them for mediocre food.
Good analogy, but he left out one part. At one point, the chef is concerned about this restaurant's poor performance, so he once again hires a high quality chef, promising to stay out of his way and let him cook his way. The owner is pleased, and honors his promise not to meddle, at first. However, at one point, he just can't resist hiring a chef's assistant whom the chef made clear he did not want. The assistant is an ego maniac, and does things his way instead of following the chef's instructions. The assistant is indeed talented, but he clashes too much with the chef. The assistant drives the chef up the wall until he finally retires. He's replaced by another mediocre sycophant chef, and the assistant eventually leaves.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score

it's in the airport, with a captive clientele