A great analogy of our biggest problem using a restaurant as the example

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post. I would only inject the great chef added a secret ingredient into all his recipes. The owner kept buying the groceries for the kitchen but the recipes lacked the one thing that elevated the restaurant menu over all others.

Eventually, the owner had other chefs attempted to replicate the secret ingredient after years passed. Unfortunately, the owner slipped into the kitchen constantly, opened pots, and mixed in his preferred spices and sauces--diluting the quality of the chefs' entrees. The owner had always believe he was as good as any chef, especially his great chef.

I mentioned it in another thread. It is never a good thing having too many chefs in one kitchen. Then you have his kids running through the kitchen getting in everyone's way on top of that...
Excellent.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone shared a link with me yesterday where a guy was talking about why the Cowboys have been so playoff inept for 28 years. (The language was inappropriate at times so I can’t share it) I thought it was perfect.

Any way, the analogy goes like this:
  • A rich man buys a famous restaurant with a great reputation, but the place had slipped a little in prior years.
  • The owner hires a great chef named Jimmy who in short order turns the place around.
  • The food is great, the atmosphere great, and crowds come back. The awards begin to flow - this is the best restaurant in town.
  • The owner becomes concerned that chef is getting too much credit. The owner and chef clash and the great chef leaves.
  • At first the restaurant continues to do well with chef Jimmy’s recipes, but over time the restaurant declines without the great chef.
  • The owner begins to hang out in the restaurant more and more, places his photos all over the place and becomes the centerpiece of the restaurant.
  • The owner vows to never again hire a chef that will take away the spotlight from him. The owner won‘t hire the best chefs anymore.
  • The restaurant continues to do good business but it’s all based on past reputation. The loyal crowds who continue showing up agree that food isn’t that great but somehow the reputation of the restaurant remains high.
  • The owner continues hiring mediocre chefs and simply blames them for mediocre food.
  • The crowds keep showing up anyway.
Can‘t think of a better analogy of what’s happened to this franchise.
That's an analogy.....all he did was replace team with restaurant and coach with chef.
While we're at it...the chef didn't know his place as an employee, he didn't appreciate what the owner did for him, so he moved to Miami....Apparently he didn't know how to cook seafood because he failed miserably and decided to quit being a chef.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's an analogy.....all he did was replace team with restaurant and coach with chef.
While we're at it...the chef didn't know his place as an employee, he didn't appreciate what the owner did for him, so he moved to Miami....Apparently he didn't know how to cook seafood because he failed miserably and decided to quit being a chef.
Right. Jimmy could have never won Super Bowls without Jethro.

Jethro was there in Miami with him winning a National Championship too right.

What an ungrateful employee he was. Tear that name off the ROH.

Thanks for setting us all straight that Jimmy suks and Jethro is the man.

Surfguy

Reaction score
"This is the dirtiest kitchen I've seen in all my seasons. Do you think this is normal? Do you? Bloody hell!"
Cartman_as_Gordon_Ramsay.png

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Someone shared a link with me yesterday where a guy was talking about why the Cowboys have been so playoff inept for 28 years. (The language was inappropriate at times so I can’t share it) I thought it was perfect.

• A rich man buys a famous restaurant with a great reputation, but the place had slipped a little in prior years.
  • The owner hires a great chef named Jimmy who in short order turns the place around.
  • The food is great, the atmosphere great, and crowds come back. The awards begin to flow - this is the best restaurant in town.
  • The owner becomes concerned that chef is getting too much credit. The owner and chef clash and the great chef leaves.
  • At first the restaurant continues to do well with chef Jimmy’s recipes, but over time the restaurant declines without the great chef.
  • The owner begins to hang out in the restaurant more and more, places his photos all over the place and becomes the centerpiece of the restaurant.
  • The owner vows to never again hire a chef that will take away the spotlight from him. The owner won‘t hire the best chefs anymore.
  • The restaurant continues to do good business but it’s all based on past reputation. The loyal crowds who continue showing up agree that food isn’t that great but somehow the reputation of the restaurant remains high.
  • The owner continues hiring mediocre chefs and simply blames them for mediocre food.
Pretty much :(

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score

How about...Jerry Jones buys the Cowboys and does well for a bit then dooms the team to being a laughingstock forever. Or until he croaks

kwcool619

Reaction score

Sounds like McDonald's (the Fries are still great). But excellent post Bob.

wecasa

Reaction score

Can we get Gordon Ramsey in her to call Jerry and sons idiot sandwiches?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. Jimmy could have never won Super Bowls without Jethro.

Jethro was there in Miami with him winning a National Championship too right.

What an ungrateful employee he was. Tear that name off the ROH.

Thanks for setting us all straight that Jimmy suks and Jethro is the man.
Never said he sucked. He did a great job....but he chose to leave. And, if Jerry hadn't of hired him and give him a blank check when there was no salary cap, he would not have done what he did in Dallas. The owner in Miami had no blank check.....we know what happened there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Never said he sucked. He did a great job....but he chose to leave. And, if Jerry hadn't of hired him and give him a blank check when there was no salary cap, he would not have done what he did in Dallas. The owner in Miami had no blank check.....we know what happened there.
Yes, but do you know why he left?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, but do you know why he left?
His ego....and he didn't know his place as an employee....that was his right. I was raised to respect authority, but I admit, I never let any boss talk down to me...then again I never gave them a reason to. It's hard to work with friends. I fired 3 of my best friends after my first year as a HC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
His ego....and he didn't know his place as an employee....that was his right. I was raised to respect authority, but I admit, I never let any boss talk down to me...then again I never gave them a reason to. It's hard to work with friends. I fired 3 of my best friends after my first year as a HC.
He left cause his boss wanted more credit for what he did.

His boss went against what their agreement was.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Mike isn’t mediocre Bob. The guy has made 37 superb meals the past 3 years. The problem is the dysfunction in the kitchen when the stakes are high. When the critics are in town.
The problem is he needs to hire a dessert chef, because a good meal isn't quite enough to satisfy most people.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He left cause his boss wanted more credit for what he did.

His boss went against what their agreement was.
Jimmy was making fun of Jerry in a public place with others coaches. I would have run his butt off too. Any real man would.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jimmy was making fun of Jerry in a public place with others coaches. I would have run his butt off too. Any real man would.
No, the issue was what was disturbing Jimmy.

Once the success begun on the field the owner wanted more credit and recognition for the football success. The success on the business side wasn’t enough for him.

And the owner begun trying to insert himself more in football operations which isn’t what they agreed to .

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
I've heard that analogy for years and it doesn't work. There are millions of restaraunts to eat at there is only one favorite football team you can't just become a ravens fan.