A hopeful model for Stephen Jones in the future

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys fans know by now that as long as Jerry Jones is breathing, he will keep himself and SJ in complete and sole control over the Cowboys. Unfortunately that’s a given.

BUT…When Jerry is gone, there is an NFL family model and structure that is working and could potentially work here if Stephen Jones is wise and open to it. The model family is the Hunt family, the longtime owners of the chiefs. The late HOF owner Lamar Hunt was the founding owner of the old AFL Dallas Texans which of course moved to Kansas City in 1963 and became the Kansas City Chiefs.

Lamar Hunt was one of the more influential owners in NFL history, arguably second only to Jerry Jones. It was Lamar Hunt who conceived of the first AFL-NFL championship game we know now as “The Super Bowl” and was instrumental in helping form the the modern NFL in 1970 with the merger of the AFL and the NFL. Like Jerry, Lamar Hunt had vision, was innovative and was incredibly successful as both a businessman and an owner.

But where Lamar Hunt was way different than Jerry is where hope for the future of the way the Cowboys are run may reside.

Lamar Hunt believed and practiced delegation. He had authority but he delegated football authority to others. He always hired a President and a GM to lead his football operations and perhaps more importantly, made sure he had a succession plan that made clear what he believed was the best way to see his legacy run. Lamar Hunt passed away in 2006 at aged 74.

Hunt’s succession plan included keeping the structure he had used and allowed his wife and 4 children to elect the next chairman/CEO of the team who would serve as the leader of the organization. Here is a quick overview of the Chiefs organization:
  • Chairman/CEO Clark Hunt, the oldest Hunt child. Delegates most football responsibilities to the president and to the GM.
  • Team President- Mark Donovan- now in his 25th year as team President. He is responsible along with the CEO to hire a GM and supervise them along with support staff. Donovan along with Clark Hunt are responsible for the hiring of GM Brett Veach, one of the best and most successful GMs in the NFL.
  • General Manager- Brett Veach. Veach is now in his 8th year as GM and is responsible for the hiring of Head Coach Andy Reid and made the aggressive moves to move up in 2017 draft to acquire Patrick Mahomes. Veach is also very aggressive in free agency and at 46 is still very young.
By the way, neither CEO Clark Hunt nor team President Mark Donovan have a radio show or press conferences before or after games. GM Brett Veach appears occasionally on a series of podcasts or interviews, usually done in the spring AFTER the draft, before training camp, and monthly during the season. Andy Reid is in charge of releasing pre and post game information and does most of the talk with the media. Imagine that!

This could work in Dallas if Stephen Jones is smart enough to realize the best run sports teams delegate authority then hold those people accountable for results.

It doesn’t have to be this exact model but it’s still a decent bluepprint. I’m hopeful SJ is smart enough to realize this is a better model to run a modern NFL team.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Neither Jerry, or Stephen will relinquish ownership duties or power to anyone else. After Stephen it will probably be his son and so on. We're doomed for mediocrity for the rest of our lives.
I may be crazy…but I have some hope. One of these days the second generation Jones family members may get tired of watching other people hoist Lombardis and decide there’s a better way to do this.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He has shown little interest in doing anything besides keeping costs down.

I knew he was useless but the leaked phone call (trade call from Detroit during the draft) absolutely proved he does not give one darn about possibly improving the team.

He enjoys the privilege and perks, nothing more.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I may be crazy…but I have some hope. One of these days the second generation Jones family members may get tired of watching other people hoist Lombardis and decide there’s a better way to do this.
until his heist of money is deposited into his offshore banking accounts, there is no hope with Jr. He and Dad simply look at the annual failures as early pilgrimage to the open waters

shabazz

Reaction score
Actually anybody that remains a Cowboys fan has some measure of hope. Some higher than others, though.

Although your post is the common sense approach and is very workable, I choose the approach of " They might win it by accident", because I already know they won't change and are inept.

It would take them accidentally drafting the next Freak Superstar Quarterback that is capable of winning it all in spite of the FO......it's all I've got for now.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually anybody that remains a Cowboys fan has some measure of hope. Some higher than others, though.

Although your post is the common sense approach and is very workable, I choose the approach of " They might win it by accident", because I already know they won't change and are inept.

It would take them accidentally drafting the next Freak Superstar Quarterback that is capable of winning it all in spite of the FO......it's all I've got for now.
The “blind squirrel finds a nut” and “Lady luck has sweet mercy on us” theories have been my hopes for the last few years. I still hold out hope SJ may want to do it differently. Obviously it could be false hope but I choose to have some hope that is based in realism, lol.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I’m worried Stephen will be worse than Jerry….maybe less podcasts and interviews but way less aggressive and twice as cheap. I’ll be in the minority but if I have to hear a few radio spots or interviews from my gm but I know they’ll be aggressive I’ll take that trade off.

We will see what happens, Stephen may just name mcclay or whomever gm

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
He has shown little interest in doing anything besides keeping costs down.

I knew he was useless but the leaked phone call (trade call from Detroit during the draft) absolutely proved he does not give one darn about possibly improving the team.

He enjoys the privilege and perks, nothing more.
Not saying you’re wrong, I have my worries about Stephen but don’t you think it’s a bit careless to just take a former producers word for it and take what he said about that call as gospel? Seems negligent Imo

Asklesko

Reaction score
Stephen Jones is not smart enough to run a decent organization. We should give thanks for Jerry while he lasts.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Not saying you’re wrong, I have my worries about Stephen but don’t you think it’s a bit careless to just take a former producers word for it and take what he said about that call as gospel? Seems negligent Imo
They have the conversation on tape.

I can't believe that anyone would be surprised by this though. His actions have been showing this mentality for a while. Agents hate dealing with him; saying he is deliberately obtuse.

75boyz

Reaction score

I hear ya bro. I'm where you're at as well.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
The “blind squirrel finds a nut” and “Lady luck has sweet mercy on us” theories have been my hopes for the last few years. I still hold out hope SJ may want to do it differently. Obviously it could be false hope but I choose to have some hope that is based in realism, lol.
The only hope we have is that SJ is operating the way he is now due to his Daddy looking over his shoulder....and once he is gone and no longer under supervision; he decides to do the right thing based on all his Daddy's past failures. And yes, he will push the guilt and crime on Jerry for not having a SB contender. Then he could start with hiring a reputable GM, competent and winning HC. Look to the way this team was handled in its early 90's when winning SBs was the goal.

That is our only hope. Without that, we are looking at another 25+ years under this failing regime. Hope he doesn't get his offspring involved or we may be hoping in our next lifetime for success and humming "Luck be a Lady"...Frank Sinatra.