A hopeful model for Stephen Jones in the future

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t think anybody here hates Jerry nor his family. We just can’t stand his administration with the whole organization.

It’s not personal, it’s just completely about the franchise.

Some user said here we would like him more if he steps back and do money and marketing stuff which he happens to be a genius.
I hate what he’s done to Cowboys Football. And it’s been an intentional effort. So yes, we can hate the man. He’s the culprit.

And it’s not like he’s this great kind of guy . He’s obviously cheated on his wife, helped raise , support and hide an illegitimate child.

No telling the skeletons this frikin snake oil salesman has in his closet and buried in dry oil wells . No use pussinfootin around the subject. And why he remains the most hated sports personality in Dallas and North Texas.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed, but I don’t think the kid is as vindictive as Jerry and won’t threaten to get media people fired for bad mouthing the team, so the pressure may increase, and at that point the drought will be pushing 40 years, so he may be open to bringing in legit help, but he will still be cheap, and probably even more so.

Hey if he hires the best scouting/drafting department in the history of the league they may have a half of a shot at getting into a NFCCG.

Secret sauce.
The children definitely will not run Cowboys Football in the same manner their father did.

Why: because 1 they will have to be held accountable to each other as their father wasn’t accountable to anyone but the bottomline and 2 this wasn’t any of their dreams becoming a celebrity football guy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the family sells after Jerry passes.
Anything’s possible. Most family ownerships are inherited by one . The fact we have three siblings involved complicates situation.

Now if there is a sibling conflict over who runs or controls the Cowboys then we could see either a buyout within the sibling rivalry or possibly a squabble forcing a sell of the team.

My hunch is three siblings will have equal share after their mother dies. Assuming she outlived him.

And with equal shares Stephen would most likely take the Pres title and other two retain their VP roles. And they’d hire a GM who they could hold accountable. Stephen as Pres would continue overseeing football operations but in a more normal NFL style.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is always hope, but there is also a very real chance things will get worse under Stephen. He’s inept as it gets.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think the family sells after Jerry passes.
The financial sophistication of this family transcends many boundaries in busineess and produces at very sophisticated levels and diverse ownerships. They are no where incompetent or unsuccessful both. They as a family are top shelf...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Your Jerry love is concerning.. find another forum..
Talk a word of football...show some ownership directions that apply as to organization and not a whipping boy attachment.

NOW, where has Stephen taken the 4 third year players currently?

Tyler Smith, LG​

DaRon Bland, CB​

Jake Ferguson, TE​

Damone Clark, LB​

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
The only hope we have is that SJ is operating the way he is now due to his Daddy looking over his shoulder....and once he is gone and no longer under supervision; he decides to do the right thing based on all his Daddy's past failures. And yes, he will push the guilt and crime on Jerry for not having a SB contender. Then he could start with hiring a reputable GM, competent and winning HC. Look to the way this team was handled in its early 90's when winning SBs was the goal.

That is our only hope. Without that, we are looking at another 25+ years under this failing regime. Hope he doesn't get his offspring involved or we may be hoping in our next lifetime for success and humming "Luck be a Lady"...Frank Sinatra.
We can only hope!

Another scenario is that little stevie is lazy/bored with running the day to day when Jerry is gone and hires a GM to handle the daily drudgery.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I hate what he’s done to Cowboys Football. And it’s been an intentional effort. So yes, we can hate the man. He’s the culprit.

And it’s not like he’s this great kind of guy . He’s obviously cheated on his wife, helped raise , support and hide an illegitimate child.

No telling the skeletons this frikin snake oil salesman has in his closet and buried in dry oil wells . No use pussinfootin around the subject. And why he remains the most hated sports personality in Dallas and North Texas.
The man was not perfect, but he walked more than his fair share for the benefit of his team's players and the NFL as a whole. If you are bragging about ethics, and morales...catch up.

I don't think anyone today is picking up on a butt dial...for the record.

Will the defense still live in safety packages this season...or is that on Jerry as well?

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The man was not perfect, but he walked more than his fair share for the benefit of his team's players and the NFL as a whole. If you are bragging about ethics, and morales...catch up.

I don't think anyone today is picking up on a butt dial...for the record.

Will the defense still live in safety packages this season...or is that on Jerry as well?
The locals here in DFW area are certainly able to love and support their favorite franchise while despising its owner. Not sure why it’s so difficult for the rest of Cowboys Nation.

Afterall we are a nation of people which often speak out against our leadership , policies and direction while still loving and supporting our country.

Last edited:

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If the past is the key to the future, then there is nothing to suggest SJ will change his MO. He will continue the Jones legacy without actually making material change. And, why would he?

The prime cosequence of the Jones family's behavior is the most highly values sports franchise in the world.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is always hope, but there is also a very real chance things will get worse under Stephen.
The hope I was speaking of is about a possible organizational structure that could work here. I currently have zero confidence in Stephen Jones - a guy who became a football executive with a lifetime contract on the night daddy’s check to buy the team cleared the bank.

My hope is that someday when JJ’s gone, SJ will look at another NFL family that is winning Lombardis and say, ”We could do that too.” It’s a faint hope, but it’s about all we have at the moment, lol.

rambo2

Reaction score
Just to be clear…I do not “hate” Jerry Jones or anyone in his family. My frustration with Jerry is totally based on the lack of results he has been getting and his stubborn reluctance to change how he runs this team.
Chiefs fans were frustrated for 50 years between their 1st Super Bowl win and their 2nd. Hang in there. They showed it is possible.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I may be crazy…but I have some hope. One of these days the second generation Jones family members may get tired of watching other people hoist Lombardis and decide there’s a better way to do this.
Not sure where you get any of this hope from. The entire family is fully entrenched in the organization. You can't even watch a SNF game without hearing about Gene Jones picking out the artwork for the stadium. It's foolish to think that they would ever step back, barring some sort of scandal.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Back in those days, all teams had a GM. I am not sure, but Jerry was the 1st and only owner than has been a GM. So yeah, after Jimmy and Barry with Jimmy's team. That model has not worked.

As to KC's model and structure, that did not work either for 50 years, until a guy named Mahomes came along. Now all of a sudden this model is the best?

Get us a Mahomes for the past, what, 23 years since Troy retired. I think Jerry's structure would have worked as well.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Good stuff @Bobhaze!! That’s good insight, unfortunately it will be a blind item to Jerry and the Joneses…

They seem allergic to BUILDING a winning structure. They seem to feel that THEIR structure and organization is what works.

Jerry or his son seems to be cool with the “I’m the final say, so it doesn’t make sense to have “useless” people getting in the way of their decisions. Probably a major reason why we’ve been in football purgatory for almost 30 years when we’ve had the talent to go further smh