A hopeful model for Stephen Jones in the future

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Anything’s possible. Most family ownerships are inherited by one . The fact we have three siblings involved complicates situation.

Now if there is a sibling conflict over who runs or controls the Cowboys then we could see either a buyout within the sibling rivalry or possibly a squabble forcing a sell of the team.

My hunch is three siblings will have equal share after their mother dies. Assuming she outlived him.

And with equal shares Stephen would most likely take the Pres title and other two retain their VP roles. And they’d hire a GM who they could hold accountable. Stephen as Pres would continue overseeing football operations but in a more normal NFL style.

The amount of present value money to be shared by the siblings could be in the amount of 2 to 2.5 billion each, if the Cowboys are sold.

Then you consider the grand- children, eight of them. Do they inherit a portion of the yearly revenue that is generated by the Cowboys and associated business interests or do they share in an upfront split of 6 to 7 billion (or more) while continuing to receive an even split of all business revenue that is not Cowboys related?

The Cowboys will just be a business asset to a lot of the family members, most of whom will not be involved in the 'fun' of owning a football team.

Present value money is a huge consideration.

Do i 100% believe this will happen, no, but the money involved here is very large indeed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Back in those days, all teams had a GM. I am not sure, but Jerry was the 1st and only owner than has been a GM. So yeah, after Jimmy and Barry with Jimmy's team. That model has not worked.

As to KC's model and structure, that did not work either for 50 years, until a guy named Mahomes came along. Now all of a sudden this model is the best?

Get us a Mahomes for the past, what, 23 years since Troy retired. I think Jerry's structure would have worked as well.
The fact Jethro has had more success this era than several other more normally ran franchises under his dysfunctional situation doesn’t bode well for these other franchises.

And Jethro &Son do deserve credit for building a relative and interesting playoff contender.

The difference is these other franchises have a greater opportunity of finally getting it right when they get the right leadership like we’ve seen in these franchises which haven’t had as much success this era.

And while it might have helped having one of these Elite QB’s this era I’m not sure our dysfunctional leadership would have made the most of it. They certainly haven’t made the most of what they’ve currently had.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The amount of present value money to be shared by the siblings could be in the amount of 2 to 2.5 billion each, if the Cowboys are sold.

Then you consider the grand- children, eight of them. Do they inherit a portion of the yearly revenue that is generated by the Cowboys and associated business interests or do they share in an upfront split of 6 to 7 billion (or more) while continuing to receive an even split of all business revenue that is not Cowboys related?

The Cowboys will just be a business asset to a lot of the family members, most of whom will not be involved in the 'fun' of owning a football team.

Present value money is a huge consideration.

Do i 100% believe this will happen, no, but the money involved here is very large indeed.
Generally the inheritance goes from generation meaning Jethro will split only between his 3 children . Then those siblings will leave their shares to their children.

That said some of the grandchildren could take positions with the Cowboys while not having shares of ownership until their parent passes.

As Jethro approaches 90 in coming years his 3 children are also getting up there in age as well. So the longer he lives the less time his children will have.

Brax

Reaction score
Cowboys fans know by now that as long as Jerry Jones is breathing, he will keep himself and SJ in complete and sole control over the Cowboys. Unfortunately that’s a given.

BUT…When Jerry is gone, there is an NFL family model and structure that is working and could potentially work here if Stephen Jones is wise and open to it. The model family is the Hunt family, the longtime owners of the chiefs. The late HOF owner Lamar Hunt was the founding owner of the old AFL Dallas Texans which of course moved to Kansas City in 1963 and became the Kansas City Chiefs.

Lamar Hunt was one of the more influential owners in NFL history, arguably second only to Jerry Jones. It was Lamar Hunt who conceived of the first AFL-NFL championship game we know now as “The Super Bowl” and was instrumental in helping form the the modern NFL in 1970 with the merger of the AFL and the NFL. Like Jerry, Lamar Hunt had vision, was innovative and was incredibly successful as both a businessman and an owner.

But where Lamar Hunt was way different than Jerry is where hope for the future of the way the Cowboys are run may reside.

Lamar Hunt believed and practiced delegation. He had authority but he delegated football authority to others. He always hired a President and a GM to lead his football operations and perhaps more importantly, made sure he had a succession plan that made clear what he believed was the best way to see his legacy run. Lamar Hunt passed away in 2006 at aged 74.

Hunt’s succession plan included keeping the structure he had used and allowed his wife and 4 children to elect the next chairman/CEO of the team who would serve as the leader of the organization. Here is a quick overview of the Chiefs organization:
  • Chairman/CEO Clark Hunt, the oldest Hunt child. Delegates most football responsibilities to the president and to the GM.
  • Team President- Mark Donovan- now in his 25th year as team President. He is responsible along with the CEO to hire a GM and supervise them along with support staff. Donovan along with Clark Hunt are responsible for the hiring of GM Brett Veach, one of the best and most successful GMs in the NFL.
  • General Manager- Brett Veach. Veach is now in his 8th year as GM and is responsible for the hiring of Head Coach Andy Reid and made the aggressive moves to move up in 2017 draft to acquire Patrick Mahomes. Veach is also very aggressive in free agency and at 46 is still very young.
By the way, neither CEO Clark Hunt nor team President Mark Donovan have a radio show or press conferences before or after games. GM Brett Veach appears occasionally on a series of podcasts or interviews, usually done in the spring AFTER the draft, before training camp, and monthly during the season. Andy Reid is in charge of releasing pre and post game information and does most of the talk with the media. Imagine that!

This could work in Dallas if Stephen Jones is smart enough to realize the best run sports teams delegate authority then hold those people accountable for results.

It doesn’t have to be this exact model but it’s still a decent bluepprint. I’m hopeful SJ is smart enough to realize this is a better model to run a modern NFL team.
Stevie isn’t smart enough because like his father he’s all about the fame and media attention and hype, he’s grown up on Jerry’s knee and nothing is going to change because it’s in his blood, the attention bug is strong with the Jones boys, like father like son just the way it is

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I may be crazy…but I have some hope. One of these days the second generation Jones family members may get tired of watching other people hoist Lombardis and decide there’s a better way to do this.
It's also possible (albeit unlikely) that SJ wants to hire real football people, but he's just going along with dad.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I dread the day Stephen is fully large and in charge of the Cowboys. Anyone who is that much of a skinflint won't spend what it takes to win a championship. Of course, that's just my current opinion, which may change if he proves he's more flexible in the future -- (wishful thinking.)

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would hope SJ will loosen the reigns and make McClay GM.