A Little What If

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Sean Payton had 6 playoff wins with a championship before those 3 7-9 seasons. Your argument gets lost when HOF QBs don't start out that way or don't need coaching or surrounding talent to actually get there. Like Michael Jordan and Payton Manning, the pieces had to come together first. They were great players, but not the only reason they won.
Remove either from the great surrounding cast, the team sucks

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yea they’d have bags over their heads again.

I was so hoping Garrett would get a HOF caliber QB for his offense. We saw what Romo did with it. Imagine what a Brees, Rodgers or a young Mahomes for example might could do.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

I was so hoping Garrett would get a HOF caliber QB for his offense. We saw what Romo did with it. Imagine what a Brees, Rodgers or a young Mahomes for example might could do.
We got Dak baby.... hes taking us to the promise land:)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Let's be realistic here. So much of the OP's "what if" was nonsensical. It's realistic to think the Cowboys could win the SB but if that happens, Jason Garrett isn't going anywhere. Jerry may very well name him the lifetime head coach if he wins the SB. JG would have to blow this season to not get a new contract from Jerry. Where he would go if fired is anyone's guess. If he went to Washington, it wouldn't be because he was stolen from Jerry. It would be because Jerry left him go.

Big_D

Reaction score

lol you'll never get it. Those guys needed coaching and needed to improve along with their surrounding talent. No matter how great they became.. it didn't start that way and they didn't win alone.

Hilarious that you think you can transplant any great QB to any other team in the NFL and get the same results. Not too delusional.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score

Did Charger fans have bags on their heads in San Diego? 24 years old year 3 went 2-9 as a starter??? lol Garrett would've wasted another QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Did Charger fans have bags on their heads in San Diego? 24 years old year 3 went 2-9 as a starter??? lol Garrett would've wasted another QB.
That would be assuming Romo was wasted. IMO Romo exceeded his ability and talent level with Garrett’s offense and it appears Dak is as well. I’d still like to see what a HOF talent could have done.

Big_D

Reaction score
That would be assuming Romo was wasted. IMO Romo exceeded his ability and talent level with Garrett’s offense and it appears Dak is as well. I’d still like to see what a HOF talent could have done.

Sure but someone has to develop that talent first. They don't step on the field day 1 ready for the HOF.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sure but someone has to develop that talent first. They don't step on the field day 1 ready for the HOF.
I’d argue than an undrafted QB was developed to become a Pro Bowl caliber QB. Romo certainly appeared to flourish in Garrett’s offense.

Prescott is another QB without the level of talent I’d prefer coming in . I think his passing abilities present an even greater challenge while his leadership and game mgmt skills were intangible assets he arrived with.

Garrett has had an undrafted and 4th round talent to develop which it appears has been a pretty good body of work thus far and why I’d still like to see what he could have developed with HOF caliber talent.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
lol you'll never get it. Those guys needed coaching and needed to improve along with their surrounding talent. No matter how great they became.. it didn't start that way and they didn't win alone.

Hilarious that you think you can transplant any great QB to any other team in the NFL and get the same results. Not too delusional.

You are delusional, because I never said that... but that QB is the starting point and is the exact reason the position is paid like it is. Am I delusional that the Cowboys are about to pay 30 million a year to Dak? All players have a learning curve, but it isnt coaching that makes them...... all those guys can coach. Could the player show up and just play? Obviously not, but any team they go to is going to have quality coaching that helps those QBs. Kitna hasnt coached a game in the NFL.... yet he apparently has what it takes to mentor Dak. If Dak balls, we are gonna read all about how great Kitna was in his development.....lol

So I guess Magic Johnson can thank his great coaches for helping him be great? He was a stud at Michigan and their best player the day he arrived... not after he received great coaching

He arrived in the nba as the number 1 pick and won the finals mvp as a rookie... not because of great coaching.
Jordan arrived in the nba and set the league on fire.. not because of great coaching. I know, i know, he didnt win until the great Jackson arrived with his triangle offense.... or how about the team just grew up and got better players. No way was a rookie jordan gonna get past the Lakers, Pistons, and Celtic teams at that time with his supporting cast. There was a reason Jordan was drafted as high as he was..... the bulls sucked.

That guy in Boston was supposed to be a genius... hows he doing?(Celtics)

Isnt the new guy in Detroit supposed to be a winner? I mean afterall, we heard how amazing he was while he was an asst with the pats. Hes not looking so good, is he.
George Seifert was the second coming of Vince Lombardi while he had two great QBs under center for him. In Carolina... he wasnt so good. He must have forgot how to coach on the plane ride east.

Big_D

Reaction score
I’d argue than an undrafted QB was developed to become a Pro Bowl caliber QB. Romo certainly appeared to flourish in Garrett’s offense.

Prescott is another QB without the level of talent I’d prefer coming in . I think his passing abilities present an even greater challenge while his leadership and game mgmt skills were intangible assets he arrived with.

Garrett has had an undrafted and 4th round talent to develop which it appears has been a pretty good body of work thus far and why I’d still like to see what he could have developed with HOF caliber talent.

He flourished before Garrett even got here and would've been better off with a real coach. Someone who didn't abandon the run at every turn. The passing game was the only quality part about that team for a stretch. It saved Garrett's job on numerous occasions.

Big_D

Reaction score
You are delusional, because I never said that... but that QB is the starting point and is the exact reason the position is paid like it is. Am I delusional that the Cowboys are about to pay 30 million a year to Dak? All players have a learning curve, but it isnt coaching that makes them...... all those guys can coach. Could the player show up and just play? Obviously not, but any team they go to is going to have quality coaching that helps those QBs. Kitna hasnt coached a game in the NFL.... yet he apparently has what it takes to mentor Dak. If Dak balls, we are gonna read all about how great Kitna was in his development.....lol

So I guess Magic Johnson can thank his great coaches for helping him be great? He was a stud at Michigan and their best player the day he arrived... not after he received great coaching

He arrived in the nba as the number 1 pick and won the finals mvp as a rookie... not because of great coaching.
Jordan arrived in the nba and set the league on fire.. not because of great coaching. I know, i know, he didnt win until the great Jackson arrived with his triangle offense.... or how about the team just grew up and got better players. No way was a rookie jordan gonna get past the Lakers, Pistons, and Celtic teams at that time with his supporting cast. There was a reason Jordan was drafted as high as he was..... the bulls sucked.

That guy in Boston was supposed to be a genius... hows he doing?(Celtics)

Isnt the new guy in Detroit supposed to be a winner? I mean afterall, we heard how amazing he was while he was an asst with the pats. Hes not looking so good, is he.
George Seifert was the second coming of Vince Lombardi while he had two great QBs under center for him. In Carolina... he wasnt so good. He must have forgot how to coach on the plane ride east.

''All we need is Tom Brady" You didn't say that? Save it.. your logic is out in left field somewhere. Still comparing football to basketball. lol 53 players and it takes all of them. Nick Foles beat Tom Brady, Eli Manning beat Tom Brady twice. Yet the clown here can't get past the 2nd round. Too funny. You keep defending this garbage.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He flourished before Garrett even got here and would've been better off with a real coach. Someone who didn't abandon the run at every turn. The passing game was the only quality part about that team for a stretch. It saved Garrett's job on numerous occasions.
I wouldn’t say 9-7 in his first season was flourishing. The 13-3 season in Garretts first season looked like Garretts offense suited Romo just fine to me. Perhaps you saw that differently?

Big_D

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say 9-7 in his first season was flourishing. The 13-3 season in Garretts first season looked like Garretts offense suited Romo just fine to me. Perhaps you saw that differently?

LOL sure lets credit Garrett like another coach couldn't make Romo T.O and Witten somehow put up numbers. 13-3 and then what? The usual step backwards. All Wades fault apparently?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LOL sure lets credit Garrett like another coach couldn't make Romo T.O and Witten somehow put up numbers. 13-3 and then what? The usual step backwards. All Wades fault apparently?
We had a top 10 offense most years with Romo under Garretts offense which appeared to carry us thru that era. Perhaps you saw it differently?

I’d argue they were more of an asset than liability.

Big_D

Reaction score
We had a top 10 offense most years with Romo under Garretts offense which appeared to carry us thru that era. Perhaps you saw it differently?

I’d argue they were more of an asset than liability.

Yeah I saw a QB pull off miracles with his spin move. It was hardly a well designed, well oiled offense. It was a passing game that bailed them out more often than not and any coach could've did it with the receiving talent here. A 'top 10' passing offense and a bottom feeder ground game. That was Garrett's offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah I saw a QB pull off miracles with his spin move. It was hardly a well designed, well oiled offense. It was a passing game that bailed them out more often than not and any coach could've did it with the receiving talent here. A 'top 10' passing offense and a bottom feeder ground game. That was Garrett's offense.
Apparently you saw it differently than I did. I’d have to go back and look up but didn’t we have a better ground game than bottom feeder with Barber/Jones?

Big_D

Reaction score
Apparently you saw it differently than I did. I’d have to go back and look up but didn’t we have a better ground game than bottom feeder with Barber/Jones?

Yeah when Parcells was here. Took a step backwards when JG got to town until it slowly disappeared altogether.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lets say the Cowboys make the NFC championship game or SB or win SB after that JG is a free agent. I kinda wonder if maybe he says enough of this bs with Jerry and Stephen I want my own team and takes a deal with another team. I could see Washington being open next year wonder how my Snyder would pay to steal Jerry’s boy. Just something I thought about Jerry might want to keep JG but JG might see greener pasture.

I can't ever see that happening. Garrett is every bit as happy with the Dallas arrangement as Jones has been. I could never envision a scenario where Garrett leaves with an offer from Jones on the table.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
''All we need is Tom Brady" You didn't say that? Save it.. your logic is out in left field somewhere. Still comparing football to basketball. lol 53 players and it takes all of them. Nick Foles beat Tom Brady, Eli Manning beat Tom Brady twice. Yet the clown here can't get past the 2nd round. Too funny. You keep defending this garbage.
and Busxter Doouglas knocked out Mike Tyson?? **** happens... they are called outliers. USA beat Russia in Hockey in 1980. Had they played 50 times, USA probably wins 2 times.