A look back, Garrett may not be so bad afterall

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Garrett was is and will be a great HC.
But he is a bad OC and/or playcaller.

What we are going to witness right now - Moore to OC or/and Garrett taking over playcalling duties - is not a change to the better.

Linehan was forced to use Garretts scheme. Now Moore, another Garrett puppet will do the same..Even with the nightmare himself maybe calling plays.

I see this offense sputter and being non creative (stubborn) like it was in the past. Why ? As i said. Because it was Garretts scheme and offensive philosiphy.

If we want to have a change get an OC who is allowed to bring in his own scheme and let him gameplan and call the plays. Let Garrett be only the HC. He is great at that. But thats it.
Serious question, what makes him a great HC? Does he attack opponents weaknesses, does he identify weaknesses in run defense? Are the game plans complex, is the team always ready? I guess he gets the teams to not quit, I respect that, but many teams "dont quit." Maybe it is the environment working for Jines, but he doesnt seem to command much authority.

Sydla

Reaction score
Have you paid attention to the league , that's the coaching in the league, you say keep trying, then you're spinning your wheels, an above average coach is good in any grading sysyem. You change coach, you change philophies as well, then you affect the qb, it's a problem we had constantly changing Dcs. Our D only got better with continuity .

So you deny that a guy like Reid is a much better coach than Garrett? That they are all roughly in the same class?

And what are you talking about with constantly changing DCs? Marinelli had been the DC since 2014, that's 5 seasons. Our defense actually got better because A) the talent got better, specifically at LB with LVE and Smith and B) we added a new coach in Richard in 2018 who came in and made some changes that were a big help (Jones to CB) and was very involved in play calling.

So I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of "continuity" on defense. Our defense got better because we made changes.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The cowboys offense was a top unit for most years under garretts playcalling and has since fallen off that mark even with zeke winning the rushing title twice. That's a very sad thing. The last couple games including the giants game was a reminder of what we could be if Garrett was still calling plays.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Have you paid attention to the league , that's the coaching in the league, you say keep trying, then you're spinning your wheels, an above average coach is good in any grading sysyem. You change coach, you change philophies as well, then you affect the qb, it's a problem we had constantly changing Dcs. Our D only got better with continuity .

The D finally got better with continuity? Wrong, it got better because LVE was a surprise, it got better because Jaylon Smith recovered. It got better because Jones was really a corner, it got better because the younger players stepped up some. It got better because Richard, a new coach they brought in, helped. How long has this defense been intact?

What is peope’s definition of average to above average? 9 years with 3 playoff seasons with 2 wildcard wins is average to below average at best. But I guess that’s good enough now why bother trying to find a better coach who can get them over the hump? This team has enough talent what it lacks is a coaching staff that gives them an edge but let’s keep the continuity going because it’s been so successful.

Last edited:

DenCWBY

Reaction score
A look back at Garrett’s record with us. Is he really that bad or that good.

Circumstances play a lot into it, beyond a coaches control.
I am not sure what I am trying to say with this, just looking at is from a different perspective than I have over the past year or so. Not meant to be negative or positive. But seems more positive though.

He took over for Wade after a 1-7 start in 2010. He led the team to a 5-3 record. Then took over in 2011 as his first full season.
But before that, when he came in for the 2007 season, the team was 13-3, 9-7, 11-5, as they won the NFCE twice, and the offense was pretty good. But yet many still knocked the offense. These are Garrett led offenses.
So in his first full offseason, he started dumping the over paid, aging under performing players. Especially the OL. Strapped in salary cap hell, the rebuild started. And it was going to take time.

And don’t forget the defenses and switching from 4-3 to 3-4, had to hire Wade, to keep the 3-4 going, then spawn of Buddy Ryan, then back to the 4-3, that set this team back 12 years. I think they are just now recovering from all of that. While trying to fix it all and plus keep the team competitive.

So he goes 3 straight 8-8, win and in games and lost 3 times. With still a roster devoid of talent. Romo in the 1st 2 years of those 8-8 seasons, threw late game picks and cost us those games. People want to blame Jason, well, look at Tony as well. That 3rd season, Tony brought us back with his injured back to beat Washington, with some late game last play TD. However, it was Kyle Orton that threw that game ending pick, at home to the Eagles to knock us out that year.

Yes win other games where there were screw ups then that last game may not matter. And I do not believe the “ice your own K” game was on Garrett for that particular moment. Maybe other decisions, too far back to remember, or care.

Then all healthy, the 12-4 season, that we were robbed in GB. Yes some coaching gaffes in that game if one wants to be critical. But Garrett didn’t tell Murray to be loose with the ball that would have been a TD. Therefore those other decisions may not have to been in play. Like to me, go for the first down, not throw to Dez. That was a messed up call. Bt many teams do this, not just Garrett / Linehan.

Then the injury plagued 2015 season. Not on Garrett at all. No Tony, No Lee a good part of the time. Injuries on the D as well. Was that the year they used like 18 different DL. Or maybe it was 2013.
2016, another Tony injury. Did anyone truly think from that point on, this team was going to do anything at all, if Tony did come back. He was always a hit away from missing time.

So enter Dak and Zeke. And a magical season. That ended in a heartbreaking loss. A game that the D let us down yet again, as Dak brought us back and went toe to toe with a GOAT candidate. Again GB got help from the refs. But also there were some dumb play calls, a few decisions that we questioned. Like that stupid bubble screen that GB was waiting on and intercepted, negating a possible TD. But in hindsight, crap happens to many teams.

2017, robbed by the NFL with the Zeke situation. Not Garrett’s fault, however this was where I lost it for Garrett. I still think they had some chances to win 2 games, but decisions blew it. I think this staff had many blown decisions that may have made a difference otherwise, even just to win one more game. But then again injuries to Lee and Smith did not help t all. Especially in that Atlanta game.

Now there were some very questionable choices in quite a few games during this 8-8 season, could have been 9-7 and in. Even in 2017 season, same thing, make the right call, maybe we are 10-6 and in. However, no one can say if the right call was made, we would have won. The other team gets paid to go and score again.

So to 2018, 3-5, Garrett talks to the team, Cooper comes in, and they finish 10-6, and 1-1 in the playoffs. And more seems to be on Linehan than Garrett. As it seems in those last 8 games and 2 playoff games, Garrett made many correct calls. None that cost us a loss.

However a few early games he had a few questionable calls, like in the Houston game, but were they really all that questionable. That can be debated, and no one would be right or wrong. Well in their own opinions anyway.
He wins the NFCE 3 of 5 years, and one year injuries galore, and one year we were cheated by the NFL.
Garrett finished last in the division one year, 2015, we know why. He finished 1st three times, 3rd twice, his first 2 years, and 2nd twice.
Made the playoff 3 times, and on the verge, one game away from the playoffs 4 other times. Could have made the playoffs every season but one. Yes I know, could have but didn’t.

Now many of you will look at it, and say, well this coach or that coach, and that is fine. I understand that. I am right here also. One can say, salary cap, we were worse off than those other teams. Everyone will have their reasons as to why or why not.
But if one looks back and see how he was limited to get better players, cap issues, old players, injured QB almost every year at some point.

But if you look at the past 4 years only, since they have been drafting better, cap issues resolved after all the dead money coming off the books now. And see what direction they are going. Maybe it is not so much Garrett. But we do know it is Linehan for sure being an issue. Garrett seems to be taking the role as Jimmy did. Let the coaches coach, and he will oversee it all. However, I feel he needed to intervene more often and override some of those decisions. Maybe he did or did not, we do not know how all that sideline stuff goes down. We can only speculate. There will be fans that will criticize regardless.

I still prefer a new HC and OC. And entire new set up and direction. But I can live with Garrett for another year, since they get a new OC. If Garrett gets an extension, then I hope they get the OC figured out, and not see the same old stuff going forward.

Why am I posting this, it is not to defend Garrett. And not to knock Garrett. Just looking at it from different viewpoint, as opposed to the constant bashing all the time.

:popcorn:
With all due respect, we started out with a 3-5 record with JG who "coached" us to that level. They (the FO committee including JG) voted to fire the OLine coach, hiring Columbo. Then they (again not sure how the votes lined up) brought in Cooper. What did JG do himself any differently with the team than when we were 3-5? He didn't restructure the offense or the plays that I can see. He certainly didn't coach the improvement on the defensive side of the ball. I don't think he imparted any new wisdom to all his other coaches that they didn't already have. He did stop clapping as much when we started our run. Other than that I really wish I could give him credit for something to do with the teams success other than his cheerleading. All I know is this team was not prepared to play the Rams and we certainly got out coached in the playoffs as we have so many times in the past. If that's all he is, than so be it.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score

I am not sure what I am trying to say with this, just looking at is from a different perspective than I have over the past year or so. Not meant to be negative or positive. But seems more positive though.

He took over for Wade after a 1-7 start in 2010. He led the team to a 5-3 record. Then took over in 2011 as his first full season.
But before that, when he came in for the 2007 season, the team was 13-3, 9-7, 11-5, as they won the NFCE twice, and the offense was pretty good. But yet many still knocked the offense. These are Garrett led offenses.
So in his first full offseason, he started dumping the over paid, aging under performing players. Especially the OL. Strapped in salary cap hell, the rebuild started. And it was going to take time.

And don’t forget the defenses and switching from 4-3 to 3-4, had to hire Wade, to keep the 3-4 going, then spawn of Buddy Ryan, then back to the 4-3, that set this team back 12 years. I think they are just now recovering from all of that. While trying to fix it all and plus keep the team competitive.

So he goes 3 straight 8-8, win and in games and lost 3 times. With still a roster devoid of talent. Romo in the 1st 2 years of those 8-8 seasons, threw late game picks and cost us those games. People want to blame Jason, well, look at Tony as well. That 3rd season, Tony brought us back with his injured back to beat Washington, with some late game last play TD. However, it was Kyle Orton that threw that game ending pick, at home to the Eagles to knock us out that year.

Yes win other games where there were screw ups then that last game may not matter. And I do not believe the “ice your own K” game was on Garrett for that particular moment. Maybe other decisions, too far back to remember, or care.

Then all healthy, the 12-4 season, that we were robbed in GB. Yes some coaching gaffes in that game if one wants to be critical. But Garrett didn’t tell Murray to be loose with the ball that would have been a TD. Therefore those other decisions may not have to been in play. Like to me, go for the first down, not throw to Dez. That was a messed up call. Bt many teams do this, not just Garrett / Linehan.

Then the injury plagued 2015 season. Not on Garrett at all. No Tony, No Lee a good part of the time. Injuries on the D as well. Was that the year they used like 18 different DL. Or maybe it was 2013.
2016, another Tony injury. Did anyone truly think from that point on, this team was going to do anything at all, if Tony did come back. He was always a hit away from missing time.

So enter Dak and Zeke. And a magical season. That ended in a heartbreaking loss. A game that the D let us down yet again, as Dak brought us back and went toe to toe with a GOAT candidate. Again GB got help from the refs. But also there were some dumb play calls, a few decisions that we questioned. Like that stupid bubble screen that GB was waiting on and intercepted, negating a possible TD. But in hindsight, crap happens to many teams.

2017, robbed by the NFL with the Zeke situation. Not Garrett’s fault, however this was where I lost it for Garrett. I still think they had some chances to win 2 games, but decisions blew it. I think this staff had many blown decisions that may have made a difference otherwise, even just to win one more game. But then again injuries to Lee and Smith did not help t all. Especially in that Atlanta game.

Now there were some very questionable choices in quite a few games during this 8-8 season, could have been 9-7 and in. Even in 2017 season, same thing, make the right call, maybe we are 10-6 and in. However, no one can say if the right call was made, we would have won. The other team gets paid to go and score again.

So to 2018, 3-5, Garrett talks to the team, Cooper comes in, and they finish 10-6, and 1-1 in the playoffs. And more seems to be on Linehan than Garrett. As it seems in those last 8 games and 2 playoff games, Garrett made many correct calls. None that cost us a loss.

However a few early games he had a few questionable calls, like in the Houston game, but were they really all that questionable. That can be debated, and no one would be right or wrong. Well in their own opinions anyway.
He wins the NFCE 3 of 5 years, and one year injuries galore, and one year we were cheated by the NFL.
Garrett finished last in the division one year, 2015, we know why. He finished 1st three times, 3rd twice, his first 2 years, and 2nd twice.
Made the playoff 3 times, and on the verge, one game away from the playoffs 4 other times. Could have made the playoffs every season but one. Yes I know, could have but didn’t.

Now many of you will look at it, and say, well this coach or that coach, and that is fine. I understand that. I am right here also. One can say, salary cap, we were worse off than those other teams. Everyone will have their reasons as to why or why not.
But if one looks back and see how he was limited to get better players, cap issues, old players, injured QB almost every year at some point.

But if you look at the past 4 years only, since they have been drafting better, cap issues resolved after all the dead money coming off the books now. And see what direction they are going. Maybe it is not so much Garrett. But we do know it is Linehan for sure being an issue. Garrett seems to be taking the role as Jimmy did. Let the coaches coach, and he will oversee it all. However, I feel he needed to intervene more often and override some of those decisions. Maybe he did or did not, we do not know how all that sideline stuff goes down. We can only speculate. There will be fans that will criticize regardless.

I still prefer a new HC and OC. And entire new set up and direction. But I can live with Garrett for another year, since they get a new OC. If Garrett gets an extension, then I hope they get the OC figured out, and not see the same old stuff going forward.

Why am I posting this, it is not to defend Garrett. And not to knock Garrett. Just looking at it from different viewpoint, as opposed to the constant bashing all the time.

a good write up

blueblood70

Reaction score
So you deny that a guy like Reid is a much better coach than Garrett? That they are all roughly in the same class?

And what are you talking about with constantly changing DCs? Marinelli had been the DC since 2014, that's 5 seasons. Our defense actually got better because A) the talent got better, specifically at LB with LVE and Smith and B) we added a new coach in Richard in 2018 who came in and made some changes that were a big help (Jones to CB) and was very involved in play calling.

So I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of "continuity" on defense. Our defense got better because we made changes.
I like Reid and was glad he ;left the eat, why did philly let him go were they stupid? they hired chip Kelly instead, why I thought the eagles were smart, they changed to change and nothing else, felt like Reid couldn't get them any further..but Id take Reid over garret for his offensive mind and its last second lean at the tape because his defense sucks and its lost him games..winning/losing 32-30 isn't really that much better then 23-17 etc in our close games..its tough to say how with a different QB and player like reid has vs ours if hes be better then what we have or not..its not fair comp really unless circumstances were exact but only the coaches are different..but yes id take Reid over Garett but the point a or of these threads are trying to get across is garrets not trash if you look harder and really just look at the last 3 years the team is pointing up..

heres the tougher question would Reid want to come work for JJ, and is Reid the GM in KC how much control does he actually have?

Dre11

Reaction score
The D finally got better with continuity? Wrong, it got better because LVE was a surprise, it got better because Jaylon Smith recovered. It got better because Jones was really a corner, it got better because the younger players stepped up some. How long has this defense been intact?

What is peope’s definition of average to above average? 9 years with 3 playoff seasons with 2 wildcard wins is average to below average at best. But I guess that’s good enough now why bother trying to find a better coach who can get them over the hump? This team has enough talent what it lacks is a coaching staff that gives them an edge but let’s keep the continuity going because it’s been so successful.

It was continuity with its DC, his philosophy, the players to fit his philosophy, this team has talent, yet some is suspect too, you saw Jones struggle in playoff,you saw the oline struggle, when injured, you saw dline struggle, you saw a team that grew in a system

RS12

Reaction score
What is his record vs rookie coaches, teams with above 500 records, and walk off games? Look that up and I doubt you like what you see.

cern

Reaction score
his record is etched in stone. he just can't get his team to the big dance. he's not that good of a coach.

Sydla

Reaction score
I like Reid and was glad he ;left the eat, why did philly let him go were they stupid? they hired chip Kelly instead, why I thought the eagles were smart, they changed to change and nothing else, felt like Reid couldn't get them any further..but Id take Reid over garret for his offensive mind and its last second lean at the tape because his defense sucks and its lost him games..winning/losing 32-30 isn't really that much better then 23-17 etc in our close games..its tough to say how with a different QB and player like reid has vs ours if hes be better then what we have or not..its not fair comp really unless circumstances were exact but only the coaches are different..but yes id take Reid over Garett but the point a or of these threads are trying to get across is garrets not trash if you look harder and really just look at the last 3 years the team is pointing up..

heres the tougher question would Reid want to come work for JJ, and is Reid the GM in KC how much control does he actually have?

I think Philly got tired of the fact he kept making NFCCG games and losing. They were just tired and wanted change and to try to find someone who would take them beyond where he had gotten them. Plus they had a young GM in Roseman who was dying to make his mark and bring change and had been drooling about bringing a guy like Kelly to the NFL.

Poor decision on their part but they rebound with Pederson and won a SB. So the route they took might not have been the most ideal but in the end, they did win a SB after letting Reid go.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score

Im not going to absolve Romo for all INTs, but lets be real. in 2011, contained the game where we were up 27-3 on Detroit and lost. And then you get the infamous, and wrongly labeled "icing the kicker" game. THis is the game where I was completely done with Garrett. 1:45 left 2 TOs and you manage 9 more yards and end the regulation with a TO in your pocket. THere was not one fan at the bar that day that would have messed that scenario up as they were all calling it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...c0916/GameDay-Cowboys-vs-Cardinals-highlights

2 wins and "Romos last game fail at NY" is irrelevant. You get nearly a similar ending the following year in Baltimore,and then in 2013 you have the loss to Matt Flynn and GB after being up 26-3, etc. The point is, there have been an inordinate amount of tail events in the Garrett era that he has not been able to overcome (or caused). I just dont see what strategic advantage we have in a coaching staff.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
It was continuity with its DC, his philosophy, the players to fit his philosophy, this team has talent, yet some is suspect too, you saw Jones struggle in playoff,you saw the oline struggle, when injured, you saw dline struggle, you saw a team that grew in a system

Richard was brought in and if I’m not mistaken was calling the defense? Richard brought a different philosophy to the secondary as well and it showed. This isn’t the old NFL where it takes years to change. Goff and the Rams offense was garbage before McVay came. I’m not saying a change is guaranteed to be better but you have to try every angle when your team can’t get past the divisional round and barley makes the playoffs over the last 9 years.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
garrett is a average coach at best good enough to beat the worse teams and not good enough to beat the better teams in the divisional playoffs the dallas cowboys have been sitting home for the nfc championship round for 23 years and now andy reid is a good coach not much better than garrett some but now much he will never win a super bowl he is just not good enough he has had many chances you are what ur record says that u are

Kaiser

Reaction score
What Garrett needs is an epic QB, Oline, and front 7 on defense along with a lot of luck.

The standard everyone is applying to Garrett is a Super Bowl win. So yes, Garrett needs all those things to get a SB ring, just like any other coach.

Sydla

Reaction score

So it took 5 years for the "continuity" to kick in?

Yeah, I think that's quite a stretch on your part. It's no coincidence that the best defense under Marinelli just happened in the season we added a new coach who helped call plays and revamped the secondary play and we got elite level LB play for much of the season from two new-ish LBs.

I mean I get why you want to say it was continuity because then you can argue that we'll eventually win as a team with the continuity of keeping Garrett, but any rational analysis of the defense would admit that the defense got better not from continuity but some other key factors.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Serious question, what makes him a great HC? Does he attack opponents weaknesses, does he identify weaknesses in run defense? Are the game plans complex, is the team always ready? I guess he gets the teams to not quit, I respect that, but many teams "dont quit." Maybe it is the environment working for Jines, but he doesnt seem to command much authority.

I think most people dont understand the job of a HC in the NFL. They seem to judge it by their high school experience where the HC essentially did everything .or college where the HC had control of offense or/and defense and player personal.

In the NFL you need someone who can manage a team and a franchise. Dont think that without Garrett our strategy to build thru the draft would have prospered. That Will McClay would have been given such influence. That SJ took over duties and been quite and listen to people who know what they are talking about.

Garrett changed the whole franchise to work professional and turn the back to the drunken masters (blue lable) risk taken amateur approach.

As i said he is not good at playcalling or understanding the game. But no HC needs this ability. He needs to surround him by the right talent. And Garrett is able to do this. AND the players believe in his message.