A look back, Garrett may not be so bad afterall

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dilfer, Eli, Flacco and Brad Johnson won SBs. None of whom I think were tattooed as "epic"
those teams had superior elite defenses and smart coaching to make it al come together, as much as JG gets reamed and for some viald reasons, the playoff losses all of them are on the defense or lack there of including the rams game..not his offense not even really dak or scott, the defense failed Romo many times and now Dak gets taste.. the defense and defensive coaching needs to be held accountable for their part in the playoff losses.. just like KC will forever look back at them not stopping Brady and company in the OT and simply want rule changes to help..not they didnt play much defense at all, all game, in the first half they didnt paly well at all..if it weren't for having ridiculous players on offense that found way to claw back with chunk plays they wouldn't have even made it close.. Aaron rogers burned us down 2 years in row and the offense nearly got us a win hadn't been for the Refs etc..see the Saintz this year..it happens..but the Rams Rbs just ran us over like we weren't there and we lost by 8..cant put that on Dak or garett and I hope Marinelli Retires and full rein is given to KrisR and maybe he starts seeing need for big uglys in the middle of the line to help on days where the run stoppers are needed..yes the defense helped us in the RS but the last 3 playoff trips al on the defense..

Best hope Dak improves some , we dont start 3-5 , and whomever is calling plays this season coming gives us better flow on both sides of the ball..when your players play their worset game in the moments when needed most, its hard to blame coaching but if anyone is to blame its Marinelli for the Rams loss..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You can win a Ring with all types. We won a SB with the cerebral type in Landry. We won with a firebreather like Jimmy. We won with well, whatever Barry Switzer is.

IMO you judge it by wins and the direction of the team. Wade Phillips had wins and then team completely quit on him. I see Garrett as a slightly above average coach in a league with few that count as excellent. McVay is the It Kid right now, last year it was Doug Pederson. The year before that it was Garrett himself.

And even then, you need a certain amount of breaks to win. The Saints were the best team in the NFL this year and Payton is a great coach, but they are sitting at home right now.

Yeah, but the Saints are sitting home because they got flat out cheated out of a trip to the championship.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I won't disagree, but you can say that about 99% of the coaches in this league.

Yes.. When you generalize you can say a lot of things. Like all of the people yesterday pointing to Brees not throwing a deep ball so now Dak is like Brees. It's ridiculous.

Garrett has had the tools hes just not a good enough coach to do anything with them. He depends on those tools to do it all for him.

Dre11

Reaction score
Richard was brought in and if I’m not mistaken was calling the defense? Richard brought a different philosophy to the secondary as well and it showed. This isn’t the old NFL where it takes years to change. Goff and the Rams offense was garbage before McVay came. I’m not saying a change is guaranteed to be better but you have to try every angle when your team can’t get past the divisional round and barley makes the playoffs over the last 9 years.

The philosophy was still the same, there was a few tweaks, but the same philosophy . The defense overall was still Rod's.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Perhaps I am jaded, IDK. I will, however, say this. I saw nothing at all against the Rams that leads me to believe that Garrett has gotten any better. Garrett is a former QB, a former QB Coach, a former OC and a HC for 10 years. All of this and during that game, I saw an Offense that ran exactly the same game plan, that was completely ineffective in the first half, all over again in the second. I saw the same on Defense. I saw a HC with 10 years of experience, get out coached by a guy who has not yet finished his second full year as HC of the Rams. I saw the Cowboys get dominated by their former HC, Wade Phillips, now DC of the Rams. The same guy that Garrett, and Jerry BTW, set up to fail in Dallas. I saw that same HC, after the loss to the Rams, say that he expected Linehan back, only to have to walk that statement back and then be over ruled by Jerry and Stephen.

No, I don't think Garrett is horrible. I think he is average and I haven't seen anything that suggest to me that he is anything less or anything more.

Bingo, the results have been average over the last 9 years. This organization was anything but average before now that seems to be the gold standard.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I have said it many times that I believe Garrett to be a good coach, not a great coach, to this point in his career. You have to get to and win the big game to be a great coach, imo. Overall, I would put him around 10th in the league, with arguments to move a few positions in either direction:

1. Belicheck
2. McVay
3. Reid
4. Payton
5. Zimmer
6. Pederson
7. Harbaugh
8. Lynn
9-12 In any order to me: Garrett, Quinn, Rivera, Tomlin

1st year coaches like Nagy, Reich, etc I don't usually consider ranking them high their first year, but they are off to really good starts.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
The philosophy was still the same, there was a few tweaks, but the same philosophy . The defense overall was still Rod's.

The fact that they played a 4-3 sure. A major tweak was playing more man in the secondary. I’m not sure that tweak gets made if Richard isn’t here. That’s my point, sometimes minor tweaks won’t happen until a different philoshy or coaching staff is here to impermanent it.

CPanther95

Reaction score
If a coach is "not bad after all", you don't have to look back 9 years to figure out why.

JustChip

Reaction score
Garrett was 1 and done with his 1 seed

I guess it's just how one looks at it, but that 1 and done as the #1 seed in 2016 is actually a testament to Garrett and the coaching staff. That 2016 playoff game was with a rookie 4th round QB and only lost because of an other-worldly play by Aaron Rodgers. Big Ben and Mark Sanchez were rookies that took teams in their 1st year to a Conference Championship, but they were 1st round draft picks.

Kaiser

Reaction score
As you pointed out.. Even Barry Switzer can win with that formula except when Barry won the Superbowl and Garrett was 1 and done with his 1 seed.

You don't think Garrett would win the SB with the 1995 team?

And the 2016 team only had a #1 seed because they had two miracle wins to push their record from 11 wins to 13. That team really wasn't a dominant #1 seed type team despite their record, even with a healthy Romo they were projected to be closer to a wildcard team than a #1 seed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

And the 2016 team only had a #1 seed because they had two miracle wins to push their record from 11 wins to 13. That team really wasn't a dominant #1 seed type team despite their record, even with a healthy Romo they were projected to be closer to a wildcard team than a #1 seed.

Of course. Garrett could've taken that team Barry did to the Superbowl. Especially in that era when teams were basically run the same offense we do now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

A good HC steps in and makes a call, on either side of the ball, that changes things. Jimmy did it all the time. When he felt the game was slipping or when he felt the game could be taken over, he stepped in and made calls that Changed games. He won games for us, even as a HC, in spite of whomever was the OC or DC. If you want to say that the OC didn't do a good job, if you want to say that the DC didn't do a good job, I'm OK with that but that doesn't excuse Garrett from responsibility. It's his job to make sure that the team is in a position to have a chance to win. Once again, he failed to do that.

To me, that's just the truth of it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Garrett isn't a bad coach. He's just not a Super Bowl coach.
That's the standard we have (well, maybe I should say "had") around here for the Dallas Cowboys.
But 20 plus years of Super Bowl futility has inflicted upon us with a "Cleveland Brown" mentality and has many of us thinking that having an average coach is satisfactory for this franchise.
Sigh. :(

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yeah, but the Saints are sitting home because they got flat out cheated out of a trip to the championship.

That's part of the breaks I mentioned. I still believe that even if the Dez Catch is ruled correctly, Aaron Rodgers would have won the game with another of his patented comebacks.

But its not a lock, the odds are probably something like 50/50. And if he doesn't, Garrett could easily have won a SB ring that year.

Sydla

Reaction score

The 2016 team also gave away an easy win in the last game when they benched the starters against a mediocre Eagles team. So if you want to talk about two miracle wins, let's point out they probably gave away a win in that last game.

And since the Cowboys finished 2 games clear of the Falcons as the #1 seed, if you take two wins away and give them that last win over Philly, they would have had 12 wins and still been the #1 seed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I guess it's just how one looks at it, but that 1 and done as the #1 seed in 2016 is actually a testament to Garrett and the coaching staff. That 2016 playoff game was with a rookie 4th round QB and only lost because of an other-worldly play by Aaron Rodgers. Big Ben and Mark Sanchez were rookies that took teams in their 1st year to a Conference Championship, but they were 1st round draft picks.

It was a blown opportunity. We were at home against a team we had already beat that year. That's how I look at it.

Garrett has lowered the bar so much that making the playoffs is something we should celebrate.

He needs to do something in the playoffs. He's had more then enough time.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

It's possible because obviously, any HC had a good shot at it but the better question is, could Jimmy have taken our team, this year, and won a championship with them?

JustChip

Reaction score
those teams had superior elite defenses and smart coaching to make it al come together, as much as JG gets reamed and for some viald reasons, the playoff losses all of them are on the defense or lack there of including the rams game..not his offense not even really dak or scott, the defense failed Romo many times and now Dak gets taste.. the defense and defensive coaching needs to be held accountable for their part in the playoff losses.. just like KC will forever look back at them not stopping Brady and company in the OT and simply want rule changes to help..not they didnt play much defense at all, all game, in the first half they didnt paly well at all..if it weren't for having ridiculous players on offense that found way to claw back with chunk plays they wouldn't have even made it close.. Aaron rogers burned us down 2 years in row and the offense nearly got us a win hadn't been for the Refs etc..see the Saintz this year..it happens..but the Rams Rbs just ran us over like we weren't there and we lost by 8..cant put that on Dak or garett and I hope Marinelli Retires and full rein is given to KrisR and maybe he starts seeing need for big uglys in the middle of the line to help on days where the run stoppers are needed..yes the defense helped us in the RS but the last 3 playoff trips al on the defense..

Best hope Dak improves some , we dont start 3-5 , and whomever is calling plays this season coming gives us better flow on both sides of the ball..when your players play their worset game in the moments when needed most, its hard to blame coaching but if anyone is to blame its Marinelli for the Rams loss..

The only part of this I would take exception to is that Garrett is the HC and he is theoretically responsible for offense, defense and special teams. I say theoretical because this is not necessarily the case in Jerry's world. But most definitely it was the defense in 2014, 2016 and this year that was the predominant contributor to losing in the playoffs.

Dre11

Reaction score
A good HC steps in and makes a call, on either side of the ball, that changes things. Jimmy did it all the time. When he felt the game was slipping or when he felt the game could be taken over, he stepped in and made calls that Changed games. He won games for us, even as a HC, in spite of whomever was the OC or DC. If you want to say that the OC didn't do a good job, if you want to say that the DC didn't do a good job, I'm OK with that but that doesn't excuse Garrett from responsibility. It's his job to make sure that the team is in a position to have a chance to win. Once again, he failed to do that.

To me, that's just the truth of it.

Lol...you know Jimmy did That? Never heard anyone say that . Jason stepped in during the 7-1 stretch, you giving him credit there.