A look back, Garrett may not be so bad afterall

jrumann59

Reaction score
He's an average to above average head coach.

Frankly, for some, that's good enough because I think some are just afraid that it could be worse.
I think some are flashing back to the times between successes, after Johnson we had switzer who was a bad coach but had a still talented team, Gailey was bad, Campo was putrid, Bill rebuilt the team, and Wade lost Bills team and then JG. I have always thought JG was a lot like John Harbaugh, who was a ST coach, but did not have the eye or the luck to stumble across some very good coaches on his staff. Harbaugh had, Rex Ryan, Pies(sp), Fangio, Marvin Lewis. Look at Harbaughs coaching tree, https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-1120-20111119-story.html

Haimerej

Reaction score
Andy Reid blew another chance at a SB yesterday but there is no question he's a much better HC than Garrett. Lumping Garrett and him into roughly the same class is just odd, for example.

FWIW- They're 4-4 head to head as HC's. Garrett was up 4-2 during his time as OC.

Them

Reaction score
...Good effort Jazz...I am also willing to see another season with JG. Dallas Cowboys SB 2020 sounds so good, but I'd rather it be 2019...:cool:

nobody

Reaction score
Here's how I view it: Has Garrett coached teams appeared unready to play in multiple playoff games (and not just one?) YES. That means he needs to be canned.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Here's how I view it: Has Garrett coached teams appeared unready to play in multiple playoff games (and not just one?) YES. That means he needs to be canned.

Getting outcoached by Rookie head coaches. How about game preparedness after bye weeks? Here is a question: In JGs head coaching reign, how many times have announcers, analysts, or experts state, "Jason Garrett just flat outcoached_______ (insert opposing coach's name)"? I do not recall an instance. Has anyone else heard that statement?

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
With all due respect, we started out with a 3-5 record with JG who "coached" us to that level. They (the FO committee including JG) voted to fire the OLine coach, hiring Columbo. Then they (again not sure how the votes lined up) brought in Cooper. What did JG do himself any differently with the team than when we were 3-5? He didn't restructure the offense or the plays that I can see. He certainly didn't coach the improvement on the defensive side of the ball. I don't think he imparted any new wisdom to all his other coaches that they didn't already have. He did stop clapping as much when we started our run. Other than that I really wish I could give him credit for something to do with the teams success other than his cheerleading. All I know is this team was not prepared to play the Rams and we certainly got out coached in the playoffs as we have so many times in the past. If that's all he is, than so be it.

First and foremost, I think Garrett needs to go. And not for the reasons most people think. I have a question for the fanbase that really can't be answered unless someone (within the fanbase) has information that we don't know about... My question is: Scott Linehan called the plays. We know this because he was the one wearing the headset. A lot of fans are saying Linehan is calling Garrett's plays. How do we know this? Did Linehan say they were Garrett plays or are the fans (that are saying Linehan is calling Garrett's plays) blowing their opinions up out of proportion? How do we know they weren't Linehan's plays? Has a fan physically seen the playbook and seen Garrett's name on it (or Linehan's name on it for that matter)? We've seen how Garrett calls plays (before Linehan came in). Garrett can't call plays worth a crap. We know this already. This isn't front page news. We already know Garrett called his own plays when he was calling plays. How do we know Linehan wasn't calling his own pays?

I'm actually not against Garrett being a "cheerleader" or "the clapper" (or whatever). I personally think that's all the head coach really needs to be... You have your DC and OC to call the plays and it should be their plays... If their plays fail and continue to fail (not the execution but the design. We'll get into execution next), you get rid of the playcaller and bring in a new one. A player can say they're not giving up on a coach until their blue in the face.If the plays keep failing because of execution, it's a good chance the team is giving up, THAT's where you bring in another head coach.... Or this could go back to "How are we drafting these players?"

There are so many questions that we (as fans) really need to think about...

Dre11

Reaction score
I watched the games. I read the articles, I listened to the post game interviews. I mean, it's not a big secret. Jimmy did this all the time. Seriously, how can you not know this?

You know what, there are enough old timers still posting to tell you about Jimmy. You don't want to believe this to be true, then let them tell you. I don't have time to waist on this. I've told you the truth, truth that you should already know as a Cowboy fan of your age. I've done what I can. Maybe the rest can convince you.

I listen and read the clippings too. Again, I've not heard all this about Jimmy flexing on Norv.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I listen and read the clippings too. Again, I've not heard all this about Jimmy flexing on Norv.

I can't help you if you haven't heard what has been written and commented on many, many times by Jimmy himself.

I can't imagine you listened or read to closely. This has seriously been discussed over and over countless times. Listen, I don't care if you believe it or not. I know it's true. It's up to you to decide for yourself.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Better coaches have been fired in the past. I don't want to hear it - his time should have been up 2 years ago.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
That's part of the breaks I mentioned. I still believe that even if the Dez Catch is ruled correctly, Aaron Rodgers would have won the game with another of his patented comebacks.

But its not a lock, the odds are probably something like 50/50. And if he doesn't, Garrett could easily have won a SB ring that year.
Off topic but I agree with you on the Dez catch. I also contend that Romo's fumbled FG snap at Seattle would have still ended up in a loss since Seattle's offense was slicing through our defense in the 4th quarter in that game. Certainly not a lock but outlook wasn't promising. Sorry I just had to throw that our there.

ghst187

Reaction score
Nope he’s terrible.
Don’t compare him to others, evaluate him on his own work with what he’s had. Here’s why he’s been terrible:
1) underachieving: he’s had at least 3 rosters capable of winning it all and yet not a conf champ appearance to show. He’s had a lot of talent, more than his share of HOF talent and yet....
2) horrible game manager: he’s lost tons of games by mere being horrible at managing the clock, play calling, and the flow of a game
3) usually not ready to play in big games. Rarely does his team come out fired up and ready to play for more than one game in a row. You know when his teams are focused and motivated? When people start talking about JG getting fired.
4) game planning: have we ever game planned to find/exploit personnel mismatches? Nope, we always insist on playing the game how we always do and running the plays we always run. We always get exposed sooner or later. Teams pick up on our cues, like running constant curl routes so they squat the coverage. They pick up our DL stunt cues....and we’ve been beaten many times because of this.

Any one of the above should be a firable offense for a HC! But here we are 9 years running hoping that no one will outscheme us and bow to our superior talent and techno bowl playbook.

khiladi

Reaction score
He sabotaged wade rather than "took over" for him

That’s giving him too much credit. Garrett’s offense turned the ball over 19 times in seven games before getting fired.

Dallas, outside the Colts game, played a bunch of teams with losing records already disqualified for the playoffs. What happened is Jerry threatened everybody and the defense with Paul Pasquoloni actually went on a tear in terms TOd generated, while the offense played ball control, similar to what they did in 2015, the only difference being the defense generated TOs. They generated 20 TOs in 8 games.

The offense still committed 11 TOs during that stretch while actually running the ball.

khiladi

Reaction score
There was a thread in the past about how awful Garrett was against teams he played a second time in the season and so on.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Really didn't count? If i get on nfl.com will they have it marked as a win/loss or with an asterisk by the win? It was a win stop trying to bend facts to fit your agenda. It is what it is
it was a meaningless game and win, and no way dallas would have won that game had phil needed to win.
So to me that would have been a loss .

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the truth of the matter is he isn't nearly as bad as some like to claim. Some will blame him for everything from the offensive scheme to player's off the field recreational habits to the back up left guard's jock itch to the unrest in the Middle East, and they will get upset and rant and rave and call him silly names.

But ultimately, he hasn't accomplished what he was hired to accomplish, and he has had more time to do it than most coaches get.