A more detailed article on Kelly

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2030516 said:
Bad grammar aside, this article doesn't help him, IMO. Whoever let him talk to the media gave him some bad advice. He should've come across a bit more humble.
What? You mean talking to the media when your upset can had bad consequences?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2030516 said:
Bad grammar aside, this article doesn't help him, IMO. Whoever let him talk to the media gave him some bad advice. He should've come across a bit more humble.

The worst part about it is everyone says hes a really good guy and did a lot for the community while he was at OU.

When your adrenaline is that high, your 21, and you just lost a lot of money then its kinda to be expected to be that mad imo.

I doubt hes been trained a whole lot to deal with the media either because all he did was answer questions.

When the only thing on your mind for months is how fast you run and something interfers with it then I can see how someone would get upset.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Stoops says Kelly's words are unfair

By Jake Trotter
Staff Writer

NORMAN — Wednesday was supposed to be former Oklahoma wide receiver Malcolm Kelly's opportunity to impress NFL scouts.

Instead, the morning's focus veered toward Kelly's budding acrimony with the Sooner coaching staff.

"Certain people have tried to hold me down, and they know who they are,” Kelly said after the workout. "I wouldn't say the whole OU coaching staff, but certain people, I would say that.”

Kelly was upset after running a pedestrian 4.68 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He placed blame on the OU strength staff and accused them of failing to notify him ahead of time that the testing was going to be on the Everest Indoor Training Center's field turf instead of the Mosier Center's AstroTurf, a surface on which Kelly had been training the last month.

OU strength and conditioning coach Jerry Schmidt said the location was decided on Wednesday morning by scouts, who felt the field turf at the Everest Center would be more comparable to the surface run on at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Kelly also accused OU of "misdiagnosing” a December thigh injury, which kept him from participating in the Fiesta Bowl and from training for the NFL Draft until last month.

Kelly said he was told by OU doctors that he had a deep thigh bruise, though a February MRI revealed he had suffered a partial quadriceps tear.

Kelly charged that he could've played in the Fiesta Bowl had he been diagnosed correctly in the beginning and that the OU staff risked his pro career by encouraging him to play through the pain without properly treating the injury.

"They told me it was a thigh bruise and to try and play through it. A deep thigh bruise hurts, you're in lot of pain, but it doesn't feel like someone is pulling at it or stabbing you in the leg,” Kelly said. "I tried to tell everybody it was worse than a thigh bruise. They told me it wasn't that bad, to go out there and run, that it was all in my mind. If I had gone out there in the bowl game and run full speed, where would I be? Nowhere. I'd be sitting at home right now rehabbing. Then people say, trust in what they say, they're not going to steer you wrong.

"If I had sat out from the time I messed it up, I would've been ready a week before the bowl game and could've played. It frustrates me a whole lot, the fact that I could've played and the fact that I knew it was something else and I was being told differently. I sat out the game. People were mad. But I wasn't going to injure myself or go out there and run half-speed and mess up the team.”

Sooner coach Bob Stoops said Kelly never practiced after suffering the thigh injury and took issue with Kelly's accusations that OU's doctors erred.

"I don't think that is fair,” Stoops said. "A lot of deep tissue injuries take a while to figure out. Our doctors do as good a job as anybody in the country. Regardless of what his injury was, misdiagnosed or not, it was a deep tissue injury. He never played. It isn't like he played a game and re-hurt it. He would not have done anything different than he's done, which is rest it for a long period of time, which he did, and rehab it.”

Stoops said Kelly's assertion that he would've been able to play had the tear been found earlier is off-base.

"He didn't do anything the whole time before we went to the Fiesta Bowl. He didn't practice once,” Stoops said. "He didn't practice at the Fiesta Bowl, even though we tried to warm him up. It's not realistic for that injury to heal that fast.”

Wednesday, OU spokesman Kenny Mossman conferred with members of the Sooner training staff, who said that Kelly was initially diagnosed with a bruise, but that the injury was later upgraded to a strain within 48 hours.

According to Mossman, OU's treatment of a partial quadriceps tear and a quadriceps strain is virtually the same: inactivity.

Kelly, who declared early for the NFL Draft days after the Fiesta Bowl, caught 49 passes for 821 yards and nine touchdowns last season, a drop-off from his sophomore total in 2006 when he reeled in 62 catches for 993 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Kelly's relationship with the Sooner coaches appeared to take a wrong turn midway through last season when he failed to register a catch in a 27-24 loss at Colorado.

"The opportunity was there,” Kelly said then after the game. "I guess that's just the way the dice rolled.”

Wednesday, he finally erupted.

"I had everything set up for where I wanted to (run) at,” said Kelly, who had a heated argument with Schmidt after the workout, at one point even throwing his cleats into the turf. "I get up here this morning and it's a whole different deal. I was slipping all over the place during my drill work. I can't say I'm pleased with anything today.”

Kelly's trainer, Chip Smith, said he was disappointed Kelly wasn't informed ahead of time that testing was going to be conducted on the field turf.

"Malcolm had been mentally prepared to run on the (AstroTurf), which a lot of universities do, so to change that when you walk in not knowing, I think there should've at least been a courtesy call to him to tell him they were going to change it,” said Smith, who has helped prepare more than 800 players for the draft over the years. "On a fast surface, he's probably a 4.4. We didn't even have the right shoes for him to run in. We had to make adjustments.”

Kelly — who wasn't cleared until March 20 for full training because of the quadriceps tear — said he had been preparing for the three weeks in Atlanta to test on AstroTurf, on which he said he had been running the 40 in under 4.50 seconds.

Schmidt said he had both the Mosier and Everest centers ready for testing, but that the scouts requested in the morning the workout be held on the field turf.

OU held its first pro day last month on the same field turf in the Everest Center.

"Malcolm can run anywhere he wants, but the NFL people wanted it on the closest to a surface that they play on,” Schmidt said. "That's like a track surface in (the Mosier Center) and they're going to adjust the times, which is not fair to the kid.”

According to Mossman, Gil Brandt of NFL.com phoned OU athletic director Joe Castiglione on Wednesday afternoon and said that he and the other scouts would've added time to Kelly's 40 had he run on AstroTurf to account for the faster surface.

Wednesday was an important day for Kelly, who had more than 35 NFL scouts and coaches in town to watch him, including Buffalo Bills Vice President of College Scouting Tom Modrak, Bills offensive coordinator Turk Schonert and Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski.

Kelly measured in at 6-feet, 3 7/10 -inches and 227 pounds. He reached 32 inches in the vertical jump and 9-feet, 11-inches in the broad jump.

He posted times of 4.17 in the short shuttle, 11.85 in the long shuttle and 7.11 in the three-cone drill.

Kelly looked especially sharp during receiving drills while catching passes from former Nebraska quarterback and 2001 Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch.

"I did real good in that area,” Kelly said. "I knew I was going to do good in that, that's natural.”

It remains to be seen if Kelly's 4.68 40-time will lower his stock in the April 26-27 draft, but it didn't help him with other potential first round receivers running faster times.

Limas Sweed recently posted a 4.50 in the 40 at Texas' pro day, held on field turf.

Michigan State's Devin Thomas ran a 4.38 at the NFL Combine.

After visiting with the Bills coaches, who have the No. 11 overall pick in the draft, Kelly ruled out running the 40 again.

"They told me they saw all they needed to see, that they saw the game film,” Kelly said, "and that I never got caught from behind.”

Kelly flew to Cincinnati immediately after the workout Wednesday along with Bratkowski to meet with Bengals officials.

He already visited Buffalo, and over the next week he's scheduled to meet with personnel from the Minnesota Vikings, Pittsburgh Steelers, Washington Commanders and Dallas Cowboys.

Kelly's criticism of OU overshadowed former Sooner defensive back Reggie Smith, who also tested in front of scouts for the first time.

Smith, who had been recovering from a broken big toe he suffered in the Big 12 Championship, leaped 39.5 inches in the vertical jump and ran a 4.65 in the 40.

"I could've done a lot better,” Smith said. "The surface was a little slower than I thought it was.

"I've seen a lot better times from myself and Kelly.”

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
He sets up his own special work out outside of two other workouts that were scheduled, and he can't even bring the right shoes to run in?

Holy cow, he may well drop past round 3.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2030763 said:
He sets up his own special work out outside of two other workouts that were scheduled, and he can't even bring the right shoes to run in?

It sounded like someone else was taking the blame for him not having the right shoes.

I dont see anywhere that says Kelly forgot his shoes.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2030767 said:
It sounded like someone else was taking the blame for him not having the right shoes.

Blaming someone else is certainly Kelly's MO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2030763 said:

The most important 'test' of your life and you forget to bring a 'pencil'?

Brilliant.

And the other point the apologists seem to be glossing over is the weight gain. Shows me that he wasn't preparing himself the way he should have been.

But who's fault is that now?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Anybody ever listen to the Sports Animal radio station from Oklahoma City? It's a big station whose signal can be heard for hundreds of miles away. Anyway, Pat Jones is a regular on there and he was talking about this very subject today. If anyone doesn't remember him, he was on Jimmy Johnson's staff at Okla State, followed Jimmy as OSU head coach, and was Jimmy's TE coach with the Dolphins. He knows a LOT of people in the business, both college and pro, and has been in draft rooms. So he knows what's going on.

Anyway, he was saying that Kelly absolutely hurt himself badly yesterday. Said that one way it can work, for instance at the Raiders, is that position coaches will get up and be asked to present their list of first round candidates and defend their position. He said no matter what the game tape says, it's almost impossible to make a case for a guy with horrible workouts to go in the first round. Now later, yes. But first rounders are expected to be special enough to not have any huge questions or holes in their game like that.

He also said that the excuse-making and tantrum is huge. When he was scouting, he would always make notes about what the players thought about previous coaches, facilities, etc. If they complained or made excuses, he definitely made a note of it. What if you show up to a game with bad weather, or you have to run a route to win the game across a baseball infield? You better produce without excuses, because that's what you're going to be paid to do.

He also said that when it comes to workouts, a poor 40, for instance, could be compensated for by great vertical and broad jumps, agility, etc. But when you're poor at all of them, it's a big red flag.

One more thing -- the OU program is well thought of by the NFL. And the strength coach there was once at the U. of Florida, and they had plenty of fast guys who worked out well. So blaming the strength and conditioning coach is pretty weak.

Anyway... It was pretty interesting from someone who's actually been there and done it as a scout and coach. (He's on the JOX 930 am station in Okla City now, I think, if anyone wants to listen online.)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
CATCH17;2030767 said:

Sounds like everyone is to blame except him.

superpunk

Reaction score
Back in the day I used to be able to throw a football a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I could throw this football over them mountains?

I ran a 4.4 in Atlanta.

Malcolm Kelly is Uncle Rico?

ndanger

Reaction score
TheCount;2030893 said:
Sounds like everyone is to blame except him.

Yeah, as a huge fan and supporter of O.U., I am very disappointed in him.
Even witnessing his talent, I would have a hard time with using a third round pick on him.

I think it's pretty easy to separate the kids who had good parents, or parent, from the ones who did not. Just my opinion, with no knowledge of his upbringing.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
theogt;2030763 said:

I guess this is my problem with you. What a relief it must be to sit on the net and critique and moan about kids entering the NFL Draft you havent a clue about. Taking shots at a life you have never been close to leading nor have any understanding at all of what its like to train for something like that.

How good it must be to know everything about these kids and what they should do and where they should go and what to eat and how to run and how to prepare. Think about it. You have this vast experience of being a professional athelete. You must know a lot huh Theo?

Whats that? You don't know crap about this stuff? You are just the norm troller poppn shots off cuz you can?

That is exactly what I was thinking as well.

You know I have never been one to jump all over a kid coming out into the draft. I cant even imagine what it would be like entering the NFL draft.

You do it seems. You have so much knowlege about it. I wonder, where do you get all of this stuff? Is it TV? Magazines? Interweb?

You haven't a clue about any of these kids Theo, and you want to throw them off the cliff.

I know I am wasting my time here. MK had a horrible showing. He is still going to be a heck of a WR for someone. But maybe he and his family should be happy with a 5th or 6th round pick. I mean that's how much you are selling this kid short.

Walk a mile they say? Heck - you don't even walk a foot bro. :cool:

Good day.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ndanger;2030913 said:
I think it's pretty easy to separate the kids who had good parents, or parent, from the ones who did not. Just my opinion, with no knowledge of his upbringing.

With no knowledge of his upbringing as you say, you still post this?

How strange. You basically say you havent a clue about his upbringing but refer to his parents a being a problem.

Strange.

I know MK didnt look good yesterday but what gals me is that some of you take it so personal. You dont even know the kid or what he's going through.

You sit on the interweb and post on a blasted forum for crying out loud. I wish I could be in MK's position and not here defending him against all of these personal attacks about him.

Yes I am a die hard Sooner fan, but I am also a person first. Is this par the course how we should treat everyone?

It appears so.

superpunk

Reaction score
Dallas;2031015 said:
I guess this is my problem with you. What a relief it must to sit on the net in and critique and moan about kids entering the NFL Draft you havent a clue about. Taking shots at a life you have never been close to leading nor have any understanding at all of what its like to train for something like that.

Whats that? You don't know crap about this stuff? You are just the norm troller poppn shots off cuz you can?

You know I have never been one to jump all over a kid coming out into the draft. I cant even imagine what it would be like entering the NFL draft.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1907260&postcount=5

Interesting...

FCBarca

Reaction score
Dallas;2031015 said:
I guess this is my problem with you. What a relief it must be to sit on the net and critique and moan about kids entering the NFL Draft you havent a clue about. Taking shots at a life you have never been close to leading nor have any understanding at all of what its like to train for something like that.

How good it must be to know everything about these kids and what they should do and where they should go and what to eat and how to run and how to prepare. Think about it. You have this vast experience of being a professional athelete. You must know a lot huh Theo?

You do it seems. You have so much knowlege about it. I wonder, where do you get all of this stuff? Is it TV? Magazines? Interweb?

You haven't a clue about any of these kids Theo, and you want to throw them off the cliff.

I know I am wasting my time here. MK had a horrible showing. He is still going to be a heck of a WR for someone. But maybe he and his family should be happy with a 5th or 6th round pick. I mean that's how much you are selling this kid short.

Walk a mile they say? Heck - you don't even walk a foot bro. :cool:

Good day.

Sounds like Okie bias has clouded what is otherwise pretty crystal clear to see...MK has messed up big time, over and over...If this is a discussion about him and his draft chances etc., can't be viewed any other way...This is their audition for their big job...It'd be no different than someone auditioning for their big shot at some Financial firm or an interview for Medical School etc...You drop the ball there, you've blown it...Let's not take a p*ss and tell everyone it's raining.

Moreover, if he can't run good times over and over again, then he's slow...If he missed many opportunities to show he isn't as slow as he's been timed or that he was 'injured' and was slowed by that, then finally does run and STILL shows he doesn't have speed...What else can you draw from it?

Don't let Okie bias enter into it...It is what it is, it's not personal.

Maybe he'll end up being a good receiver but there's no denying he's blown his draft 'stock'...There's no spinning that

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
FCBarca;2031031 said:
Sounds like Okie bias has clouded what is otherwise pretty crystal clear to see...MK has messed up big time, over and over...If this is a discussion about him and his draft chances etc., can't be viewed any other way...This is their audition for their big job...It'd be no different than someone auditioning for their big shot at some Financial firm or an interview for Medical School etc...You drop the ball there, you've blown it...Let's not take a p*ss and tell everyone it's raining.

Moreover, if he can't run good times over and over again, then he's slow...If he missed many opportunities to show he isn't as slow as he's been timed or that he was 'injured' and was slowed by that, then finally does run and STILL shows he doesn't have speed...What else can you draw from it?

Don't let Okie bias enter into it...It is what it is, it's not personal.

Maybe he'll end up being a good receiver but there's no denying he's blown his draft 'stock'...There's no spinning that

I am not spinning anything. I said MK blew it. I still say he goes 1st round. If you are so certain he blew his draft stock. Please PM me. My money and my mouth await. :D

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Dallas;2031032 said:
Odd. I don't see myself jumping all over Slaton there. I said he should have stayed? Was I wrong for saying he should of stayed? That was me jumping all over him?

What are you trying to spin here Punk? You might should stick to your normal mundane humor posts next time? Just sayin.

:laugh2: there must be a .GIF for just this situation