A philosophy crossroads: Which one is better?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm judging Garret in a historical context. Coaches are judged on super bowls. There is no other measuring stick. If you want to poop out an arbitrary measurement, go for it.
That might be your measurement but not official. There’s several coaches who have COY and in the HOF without SB Rings.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its very sad you hold Garret in such high esteem. Sign of the times in Big D.
The Bar has been lowered in Big D. But not by Coach Garrett. By Jerry. And why we have puppets.

Garrett is a product of our dysfunctional organization.

I’ll continue to argue considering his experience and circumstances he works under has done a better job than others before him with greater experience and coaching history. And why I call him our Greatest Puppet of this era.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Bar has been lowered in Big D. But not by Coach Garrett. By Jerry. And why we have puppets.

I’ll continue to argue considering his experience and circumstances he works under has done a better job than others before him with greater experience and coaching history. And why I call him our Greatest Puppet of this era.
Garett is a product of the dysfunction...but that doesn’t change his lack of results in the playoffs. If Jerry is really serious that he wants to win a championship again, this must be Garrett’s last chance to show he can deliver multiple playoff wins. If Jerry keeps Garrett after either another non-playoff year, or another early exit from the playoffs, I don’t see how he doesn’t lose all credibility.

And yes, JJ has lowered the bar for what he considers “success”. But that doesn’t mean the fans have to accept that and just go along with it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I understand your problem is mostly with Jerry. I don't understand why you have to support his puppet. Its just been a very sad era in Cowboy history, and thats how it will be remembered unless he somehow stumbles into a super bowl.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garett is a product of the dysfunction...but that doesn’t change his lack of results in the playoffs. If Jerry is really serious that he wants to win a championship again, this must be Garrett’s last chance to show he can deliver multiple playoff wins. If Jerry keeps Garrett after either another non-playoff year, or another early exit from the playoffs, I don’t see how he doesn’t lose all credibility.

And yes, JJ has lowered the bar for what he considers “success”. But that doesn’t mean the fans have to accept that and just go along with it.
But fans are accepting it at record levels.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But they are accepting it at record levels.
Doesn’t mean I have to. “They” to me always means people I can’t do anything about. Change always starts with “me”. I stopped accepting the “bar being lowered” a long time ago. I don’t give a rat’s behind if every other Cowboys fan has lower expectations. I don’t. Never will.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand your problem is mostly with Jerry. I don't understand why you have to support his puppet. Its just been a very sad era in Cowboy history, and thats how it will be remembered unless he somehow stumbles into a super bowl.
Im supportive of Garrett because I believe it’s his influence over our frikin owner which is helping us stay competitive.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Doesn’t mean I have to. “They” to me always means people I can’t do anything about. Change always starts with “me”. I stopped accepting the “bar being lowered” a long time ago. I don’t give a rat’s behind if every other Cowboys fan has lower expectations. I don’t. Never will.
I tried to lead that campaign over a decade ago to boycott financially and was laughed off the forum.

The fans have spoken and they overwhelmingly support our Football Idiot however indirectly it is.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im supportive of Garrett because I believe it’s his influence over our frikin owner which is helping us stay competitive.
That’s fine. It’s your choice. I understand your thing on this Greggo. You’re one of the most devoted Cowboys fans around and I respect that. But I don’t share your opinion that fans must accept Jerry’s lowered bar. At least not this fan.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tried to lead that campaign over a decade ago to boycott financially and was laughed off the forum.

The fans have spoken and they overwhelmingly support our Football Idiot however indirectly it is.

Most fans don't follow the details of the football team like we do. If every fan on this board stopped spending money on anything cowboy related, it wouldn't even register on Jerry's radar.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most fans don't follow the details of the football team like we do. If every fan on this board stopped spending money on anything cowboy related, it wouldn't even register on Jerry's radar.
Most of my friends do follow the details. They just don’t have the time or patience to waste on a forum like this.

This forum doesn’t always represents the pulse of local Cowboys Nation. It’s full of fans from afar, former fans, opposing fans and trolls. Lol

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me be very clear at the beginning: Talent matters in the NFL. You simply cannot win without it. The Cowboys in 2019 have likely gathered our most talented roster since the glory days of the 90s and expectations for this team should be high going into this season.

But talent alone is not enough. More importantly, I would argue you win a championship with talent that has been molded into a team by a talented, adaptable coaching staff. We all know TEAMS win championships.

With that said, I believe this organization is near a philosophy crossroads regarding its future not only for this year, but the next 5-7 years as well. Here are their choices:
  • 1. Become a “star centered” team built around 10 stars (mostly on offense plus DLaw) that take up about 70% of future cap space, leaving about 30% of cap space for the rest of the team, hopefully on rookie contracts. Upside of this is you keep your most talented players for longer periods. The downside to this is if the injury bug hits many of your stars, you’re probably in trouble because there is less cap space for quality depth.
  • 2. Become a balanced team that is mostly built around a few stars (maybe 5) along with a lot young talent on rookie deals. No more than approximately 50% of cap space is dedicated to stars on either side of the ball. The upside of this is you hang onto a few of your best players while also being able to mix in a few FAs for depth. The downside of this you can’t keep as many of your stars as you might want.
So which philosophy would you choose? Either philosophy can work. And coaching is of course a huge part of any NFL team's success. There are good arguments for both.

I would probably choose option 2 because I think it’s a more sustainable philosophy going forward. You would have to make some very tough decisions about who to let walk. But it also means we probably need a better HC. The problem with the option 1 star system IMO is it locks you down with less flexibility to build a strong roster.

If the FO chooses option 1, it may signal it believes this is a “win now” moment and that Garrett can’t win without having a bigger star base of talent.

Which philosophy would you choose? Or is there another you believe we can have?
My head hurts when you make me think! :muttley:
What a toughie, but I would go with number two so you can fold in good talent as old talent leaves. The, 'Win now,' philosophy has not been successful for us or other teams - the previous version of the Browns come to mind.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s fine. It’s your choice. I understand your thing on this Greggo. You’re one of the most devoted Cowboys fans around and I respect that. But I don’t share your opinion that fans must accept Jerry’s lowered bar. At least not this fan.
Didn’t say they must accept. But they must acknowledge to fully understand and appreciate our state of the union.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I honestly don't see where it's the best roster since the 90's. Maybe the defense but they flopped in the playoffs as usual.

That was coaching failure to stop the bleeding and is a direct result of being out coached. Our staff failed in LA. See Cowboy 22's post above and add to it the ability to see our weaknesses / tendencies and offset them. As sure as a coach is able to get the most out of his talent he should be able to scheme to cover weaknesses.

We have good talent and pretty good depth in many areas. As good as this cap era will allow.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Oh, go with #2. The patsies have been making it work for almost 20 years. The template is there.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This coaching staff gets no credit whatsoever for developing the team that they’ve developed. Almost completely through the draft, too.

We should be able to extend our own since we’ve shown such restraint not paying premiums in free agency for other people’s players.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Option 2 is the best option, but hardest to get right in the short term... If you do get it right though, you can be competitive for a decade.
Option 1 can get you a title shot quicker, but once a couple of high earners get injured, then you’re back to paying players who are no longer here big bucks and we know how that’s hurt us in the past.
It’s like do you take the red pill or the blue pill...
I think Jerry knows option 2 is the one to take, but he won’t be able to not take option 1 at the end of the day.
:facepalm: Sadly, you are the muse and Jerry is the Architect.
Well, Mr. Anderson, what's it gonna be? Neo the hero or Cypher the gopher? :popcorn: