A philosophy crossroads: Which one is better?

kskboys

Reaction score
Let me be very clear at the beginning: Talent matters in the NFL. You simply cannot win without it. The Cowboys in 2019 have likely gathered our most talented roster since the glory days of the 90s and expectations for this team should be high going into this season.

But talent alone is not enough. More importantly, I would argue you win a championship with talent that has been molded into a team by a talented, adaptable coaching staff. We all know TEAMS win championships.

With that said, I believe this organization is near a philosophy crossroads regarding its future not only for this year, but the next 5-7 years as well. Here are their choices:
  • 1. Become a “star centered” team built around 10 stars (mostly on offense plus DLaw) that take up about 70% of future cap space, leaving about 30% of cap space for the rest of the team, hopefully on rookie contracts. Upside of this is you keep your most talented players for longer periods. The downside to this is if the injury bug hits many of your stars, you’re probably in trouble because there is less cap space for quality depth.
  • 2. Become a balanced team that is mostly built around a few stars (maybe 5) along with a lot young talent on rookie deals. No more than approximately 50% of cap space is dedicated to stars on either side of the ball. The upside of this is you hang onto a few of your best players while also being able to mix in a few FAs for depth. The downside of this you can’t keep as many of your stars as you might want.
So which philosophy would you choose? Either philosophy can work. And coaching is of course a huge part of any NFL team's success. There are good arguments for both.

I would probably choose option 2 because I think it’s a more sustainable philosophy going forward. You would have to make some very tough decisions about who to let walk. But it also means we probably need a better HC. The problem with the option 1 star system IMO is it locks you down with less flexibility to build a strong roster.

If the FO chooses option 1, it may signal it believes this is a “win now” moment and that Garrett can’t win without having a bigger star base of talent.

Which philosophy would you choose? Or is there another you believe we can have?
2. By a landslide. The problem is, the NFL is a rough game. It's highly ulikely you're going to make it through a season unscathed. Which is why you'll need to be able to pay the Joe Looney's of the league. As opposed to Phil Costa. When you start giving most of your salary cap to 10 guys, you'll have Alan Ball starting and other team's castoffs for backups. And that never works. Remember Terry Glenn falling down on his routes because he was forced to play because we spent all the money on the OL and a few other players. And who was his backup? That would be Sam Hurd. The best we could get because we'd already spent all our money.

Last edited:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2. By a landslide. The problem is, the NFL is a rough game. It's highly ulikely you're going to make it through a season unscathed. Which is why you'll need to be able to pay the Joe Looney's of the league. As opposed to Phil Costa. When you start giving most of your salary cap to 10 guys, you'll have Alan Ball starting and other team's castoffs for backups. And that never works. Remember Terry Glenn falling down on his routes because he was forced to play because we spent all the money on the OL and a few other players? That would be Sam Hurd. The best we could get because we'd already spent all our money.
:hammer:That sad reality bit Jones where the sun don't shine - not once but several times.

kskboys

Reaction score
I honestly don't see where it's the best roster since the 90's. Maybe the defense but they flopped in the playoffs as usual.
Our 90's super bowl winning rosters are among the best of all time. We aren't even close to that. That OLine and DLine rotation was sick. Dlaw MIGHT be able to beat out Tolbert, the rest wouldn't even make the team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This coaching staff gets no credit whatsoever for developing the team that they’ve developed. Almost completely through the draft, too.

We should be able to extend our own since we’ve shown such restraint not paying premiums in free agency for other people’s players.
But Idgit, you know how this place works better than anyone. Once someone goes south on a coach or player, that's it. If they won it all this season, Garrett would not get the credit and I've seen some asking if we win it all, can he still get fired.

Technically, he can't be fired after this season as he will not be under contract but for some to say he could never win it all is ludicrous. Yes, he's made some mistakes in game management in the past but any HC that can pull the team out of that 3-5 nosedive to win the East, and 3 of the last 5 seasons, gets my attention.

Man, if posters are going to place blame, they should give credit when it's earned and I've never seen so many focused on the last loss and not what happened during the season. But I am not a SB or bust fan so there is that. I am also not entitled, the past is the past.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our 90's super bowl winning rosters are among the best of all time. We aren't even close to that. That OLine and DLine rotation was sick. Dlaw MIGHT be able to beat out Tolbert, the rest wouldn't even make the team.
They're were better lines throughout history, Rams, Steelers and Vikings but I do not recall any team being that stacked on both sides of the line like that team. That team is definitely in the conversation as best ever. And had Jimmy stayed, I think they go 4 for 4 and are considered the best team ever.

kskboys

Reaction score
They're were better lines throughout history, Rams, Steelers and Vikings but I do not recall any team being that stacked on both sides of the line like that team. That team is definitely in the conversation as best ever. And had Jimmy stayed, I think they go 4 for 4 and are considered the best team ever.
I think you're possibly looking at 5 for 5 or 6 for 6. They were simply that deep, until we started letting them walk.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best of the best :bow::bow::bow:
I liked Landry's teams with Meredith, Lily, Hayes, Pearson, Cornell Green, Nate Newton, Capt America, Dorsett, Irvin, Too Tall, Harvey, Woodsen, et al, (whew, the list is endless) but the 90's Cowboys were the best overall collection of talent and success.
May the brand live on!
Go Cowboys!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you're possibly looking at 5 for 5 or 6 for 6. They were simply that deep, until we started letting them walk.
I don't think he would have stayed for that and when FA hit, the Cowboys were the target team. Jimmy was the type of coach that loved rotations so guys like Gogan, Jones and Stone got a lot of exposure to the other FO's.

Can you imagine being an opposing coach back then thinking you might wear them down by the 4Q but Jimmy had kept his starters fresh and the other coach could only watch as they'd drive the field, draining the clock.

The real magic of hiring Jimmy as HC was he came from a deep team and was used to playing a lot of players during the game and many NFL HC's didn't think that way. He built those lines just as he did at Miami.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Let me be very clear at the beginning: Talent matters in the NFL. You simply cannot win without it. The Cowboys in 2019 have likely gathered our most talented roster since the glory days of the 90s and expectations for this team should be high going into this season.

But talent alone is not enough. More importantly, I would argue you win a championship with talent that has been molded into a team by a talented, adaptable coaching staff. We all know TEAMS win championships.

With that said, I believe this organization is near a philosophy crossroads regarding its future not only for this year, but the next 5-7 years as well. Here are their choices:
  • 1. Become a “star centered” team built around 10 stars (mostly on offense plus DLaw) that take up about 70% of future cap space, leaving about 30% of cap space for the rest of the team, hopefully on rookie contracts. Upside of this is you keep your most talented players for longer periods. The downside to this is if the injury bug hits many of your stars, you’re probably in trouble because there is less cap space for quality depth.
  • 2. Become a balanced team that is mostly built around a few stars (maybe 5) along with a lot young talent on rookie deals. No more than approximately 50% of cap space is dedicated to stars on either side of the ball. The upside of this is you hang onto a few of your best players while also being able to mix in a few FAs for depth. The downside of this you can’t keep as many of your stars as you might want.
So which philosophy would you choose? Either philosophy can work. And coaching is of course a huge part of any NFL team's success. There are good arguments for both.

I would probably choose option 2 because I think it’s a more sustainable philosophy going forward. You would have to make some very tough decisions about who to let walk. But it also means we probably need a better HC. The problem with the option 1 star system IMO is it locks you down with less flexibility to build a strong roster.

If the FO chooses option 1, it may signal it believes this is a “win now” moment and that Garrett can’t win without having a bigger star base of talent.

Which philosophy would you choose? Or is there another you believe we can have?
2 no doubt

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think he would have stayed for that and when FA hit, the Cowboys were the target team. Jimmy was the type of coach that loved rotations so guys like Gogan, Jones and Stone got a lot of exposure to the other FO's.

Can you imagine being an opposing coach back then thinking you might wear them down by the 4Q but Jimmy had kept his starters fresh and the other coach could only watch as they'd drive the field, draining the clock.

The real magic of hiring Jimmy as HC was he came from a deep team and was used to playing a lot of players during the game and many NFL HC's didn't think that way. He built those lines just as he did at Miami.
Quite possible, but we were surmising what would happen if he had stayed!!!!

If Jimmy stays, obviously w/ some control, we do not sign Deion, and we draft much better. We don't trade for Galloway, and we don't draft Shante Carver. Or David LaFleur or Ekuban. The O and Dlines don't fall apart as Jimmy knew the value of replacing them, esp. w/ an immobile QB like Troy.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Did it in quick time too. The villagers were ready to storm the gates when he was jettisoning players in order to build those teams. He was the engine.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But Idgit, you know how this place works better than anyone. Once someone goes south on a coach or player, that's it. If they won it all this season, Garrett would not get the credit and I've seen some asking if we win it all, can he still get fired.

Technically, he can't be fired after this season as he will not be under contract but for some to say he could never win it all is ludicrous. Yes, he's made some mistakes in game management in the past but any HC that can pull the team out of that 3-5 nosedive to win the East, and 3 of the last 5 seasons, gets my attention.

Man, if posters are going to place blame, they should give credit when it's earned and I've never seen so many focused on the last loss and not what happened during the season. But I am not a SB or bust fan so there is that. I am also not entitled, the past is the past.

You’ve pretty much nailed it. :)

cern

Reaction score
we have out best group of coordinators and asst. coaches that we've had in a long time. however, that does not extend to the head coach. I mean no offense to anyone. just the way I see it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

All great examples Coach why this forum doesn’t always measure the pulse of Cowboys Nation.

It’s full of trolls and agenda driven fans. They’d rather be right than win. The Lynch Mob of social media :)

Much like we saw with all the trolls with Romo will never win a SB. The only reason they don’t target Jerry in the same fashion with the “ Never” ( which is a red flag for trolls) rhetoric is he’s already won one.

There is some valid arguments against Garrett but those actual Cowboy fans don’t use the “ Never” rhetoric or call him clapper, etc. And they actually give him some due when they see fit.