Video: A Positive Video on Mazi's Performance

JayFord

Reaction score
what i saw is this

man was double teamed and stood his ground into a stalemate

THAT IS WHAT YOURE LOOKING FOR AT DT!

if hes double teamed and he doenst do anything but stalemate he won...now its 3 offensive linemen vs Lawrence, Osi, Williams, and Parsons

I dont need that man to register ANY numbers just stalemate your double team and let our guys cook

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yeah, to most fans, being good at DT looks like Aaron Donald or Chris Jones (two 3 tech’s). They want to see that with a first round DT like Mazi, when the truth is he will never look like those guys because he doesn’t have a 3T skillset. He is a 1/0 tech and what he does is completely different.

Just get ready for two things: some fans to keep harping on him not playing well, and for the defense to improve. The LB’s and DE’s will reap the rewards of Mazi being there, and still fans will say Mazi isn’t doing crap.

It is largely a thankless position, that happily makes a big influence on the defense as a whole.

It is the way…

JayFord

Reaction score
Yeah, to most fans, being good at DT looks like Aaron Donald or Chris Jones (two 3 tech’s). They want to see that with a first round DT like Mazi, when the truth is he will never look like those guys because he doesn’t have a 3T skillset. He is a 1/0 tech and what he does is completely different.

Just get ready for two things: some fans to keep harping on him not playing well, and for the defense to improve. The LB’s and DE’s will reap the rewards of Mazi being there, and still fans will say Mazi isn’t doing crap.

It is largely a thankless position, that happily makes a big influence on the defense as a whole.

It is the way…
its gonna be the whole year and thread after thread about him being a bust

"we drafted a guy who eats up blockers" "he supposed to be aaron donald" "waste of a pick"

any good defense has a player who eats up blocks....if he does that hes worth his weight in gold

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
what i saw is this

man was double teamed and stood his ground into a stalemate

THAT IS WHAT YOURE LOOKING FOR AT DT!

if hes double teamed and he doenst do anything but stalemate he won...now its 3 offensive linemen vs Lawrence, Osi, Williams, and Parsons

I dont need that man to register ANY numbers just stalemate your double team and let our guys cook
Mazi would eat up two linemen *or* collapse the pocket on 1.

That's what he was drafted for. And just a rookie. The big boys usually make significant strength gains in their first couple of years. Looks like a good pick.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I noticed positive talk about LBs after the game.

LBs look a lot better with a DT eating up 2 dlinemen in front of them.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
they dont know football anymore than i know rocket science

to them DTs unless they get sacks are useless and thats all thats needed
bunch of Rob M's..lol I mean in his system it was that but in this system we needed an unmovable force..

Sydla

Reaction score
Someone above made the most important point........... that when people say DT, they immediately compare them to guys like Jones or Donald or even a guy like Fletcher Cox in his prime. But Smith isn't that kind of player now, he's more of a 1T, run defender at this point. So comparisons to how Donald or Jones played early is kind of unfair.

Also, I think where he was picked probably heightens the expectations. You don't see a 1T typically get drafted that high. Guys like Smith are often taken lower in the draft because they aren't stat sheet stuffers, etc.

It will be interesting to see how he progresses over the season.