Video: A Positive Video on Mazi's Performance

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hes gotta do more than eat up blockers. Sorry, thats just the simple truth. He has to make plays as a first round pick.

shooting the gap, creating havoc, TFL’s, fumbles, some sacks, whatever.
In other words, he has to do something that I understand is impactful rather than be a dominant nose which I don't understand.

No. He does not. Any pass rush is a bonus.

HungryLion

Reaction score
In other words, he has to do something that I understand is impactful rather than be a dominant nose which I don't understand.

No. He does not. Any pass rush is a bonus.
You see. If the LB behind Mazi gets a TFL or short gain, because Mazi cleared the lane for the LB. That isn’t as impactful as Mazi himself getting the statistic.

darealvelle

Reaction score
I find it amazing that there are people here that have watched football for decades and they still don't understand the position Mazi plays.
I mean what the hell guys.
Actually they are just posing like they know the sport, and then they got expose not knowing what a 1 tech DT does.

Sydla

Reaction score
One other thing that's going to hurt and work against Smith, even with our fanbase.

Jalen Carter. Unfortunately, I think many are going to end up comparing him to Carter, especially if Carter turns out to be the stud some think he may end up being. They are two totally different types of DTs. We need to fight the urge comparing Smith to Carter two, three years down the road.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
One other thing that's going to hurt and work against Smith, even with our fanbase.

Jalen Carter. Unfortunately, I think many are going to end up comparing him to Carter, especially if Carter turns out to be the stud some think he may end up being. They are two totally different types of DTs. We need to fight the urge comparing Smith to Carter two, three years down the road.
Why? Carter was selected much higher. If anything compare him to Nolan smith the CZ favorite.....and Kincaid if you want to whine (not you specifically)

blueblood70

Reaction score
I find it amazing that there are people here that have watched football for decades and they still don't understand the position Mazi plays.
I mean what the hell guys.
Vince Wilfork that will be all..16 sacks in 12 years but highly regarded as one of the best nose tackles that anchored some of those best teams in New England Super Bowl years this is what we want from Mazi, eat space, free up the other guys and stop the easy runs up the middle..

blueblood70

Reaction score
what i saw is this

man was double teamed and stood his ground into a stalemate

THAT IS WHAT YOURE LOOKING FOR AT DT!

if hes double teamed and he doenst do anything but stalemate he won...now its 3 offensive linemen vs Lawrence, Osi, Williams, and Parsons

I dont need that man to register ANY numbers just stalemate your double team and let our guys cook
Vince Wilfork yup if we get something close to this guy ill be happy. Big Hankins also a nice comp and hes right here..lol

Jarntt

Reaction score
A little too long for me to watch right now. There was a 3rd (or 4th?) and less than 1 yard where it looked like he got pushed back almost 3 yards off the LOS. I didn't re-watch the play to see why and maybe it is in the video by the OP so I'll look for it. That particular play was disappointing because that's where you want him to earn his money, BUT I thought overall he did well and am glad to see that is the consensus. I'm also glad he got so many snaps and especially after the MRI this week. It's hard for a run plugger to get their props because sometimes being a big lunch pail type doesn't get you much credit from the average football fan. I'm glad he isn't being judged by his stats and rather by doing his role. If he plays next to Hankins on some run downs, I think we will have some very happy LBs who all of a sudden don't look like a weak spot.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah, to most fans, being good at DT looks like Aaron Donald or Chris Jones (two 3 tech’s). They want to see that with a first round DT like Mazi, when the truth is he will never look like those guys because he doesn’t have a 3T skillset. He is a 1/0 tech and what he does is completely different.

Just get ready for two things: some fans to keep harping on him not playing well, and for the defense to improve. The LB’s and DE’s will reap the rewards of Mazi being there, and still fans will say Mazi isn’t doing crap.

It is largely a thankless position, that happily makes a big influence on the defense as a whole.

It is the way…
correct and to boot those are generational 3Ts those are not your average everyday solid 3Ts but yes there's a big difference between a nose tackle/ one tech and a three tech..

Sydla

Reaction score
Why? Carter was selected much higher. If anything compare him to Nolan smith the CZ favorite.....and Kincaid if you want to whine (not you specifically)
Because people inevitably compare players of the same position taken in the same round. That's not to say they won't also be watching Nolan Smith but reality is some are going to take whatever stats Carter has and then match them to Smith and say that's what a 1st round DT needs to do.

Ken

Reaction score
He aslo 2 gaps VERY well from what i saw ....first preseason game yes theres work but im not seeing why people are saying he had a bad game

either their trolling or they think DT is about sack sack sack sack and anything less is a bust
Well they do think that....now it is almost sacks in Jalen Carter's case..lol

mcmvp

Reaction score

Agreed…if Mazi would be compared to anyone on the Eagles, it would be Davis