Video: A Positive Video on Mazi's Performance

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it amazing that there are people here that have watched football for decades and they still don't understand the position Mazi plays.
I mean what the hell guys.
I also find it amazing that people don't understand the difference between a 1st-round DT and a later-round guy who plays the position.

In the 1st-round guy, you're looking for someone who is more than just a 2-down run-stuffer, someone who also provides some pass-rush ability. The 2-down plugs can be found later in the draft.

The Cowboys think they have that in Mazi. They and we also know that Mazi wasn't asked to do that in college and hasn't yet developed those skills. We knew this from the day he was drafted. The folks complaining that he doesn't have those chops yet in his first preseason game are ridiculous. I wouldn't expect to see much until next season. But the question of whether he will develop those skills is certainly open.

If he does, fantastic. If he doesn't, and turns into a very good run-stuffing DT who doesn't provide anything in terms of pass rush, well that's a perfectly fine player and an asset, but it's not a guy you point at as a big 1st-round success story. (But that's okay: most 1st-rounders don't turn into the guy you dreamed about.)

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I also find it amazing that people don't understand the difference between a 1st-round DT and a later-round guy who plays the position.

In the 1st-round guy, you're looking for someone who is more than just a 2-down run-stuffer, someone who also provides some pass-rush ability. The 2-down plugs can be found later in the draft.

The Cowboys think they have that in Mazi. They and we also know that Mazi wasn't asked to do that in college and hasn't yet developed those skills. We knew this from the day he was drafted. The folks complaining that he doesn't have those chops yet in his first preseason game are ridiculous. I wouldn't expect to see much until next season. But the question of whether he will develop those skills is certainly open.

If he does, fantastic. If he doesn't, and turns into a very good run-stuffing DT who doesn't provide anything in terms of pass rush, well that's a perfectly fine player and an asset, but it's not a guy you point at as a big 1st-round success story. (But that's okay: most 1st-rounders don't turn into the guy you dreamed about.)
He had 0.5 sacks in 30 college games.

Not exactly Randy White numbers.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
In other words, he has to do something that I understand is impactful rather than be a dominant nose which I don't understand.

No. He does not. Any pass rush is a bonus.
Couldnt we find one of those guys later in the draft?

Mazi is going to average 2-3 tackles a game.

and 0 sacks.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what i saw is this

man was double teamed and stood his ground into a stalemate

THAT IS WHAT YOURE LOOKING FOR AT DT!

if hes double teamed and he doenst do anything but stalemate he won...now its 3 offensive linemen vs Lawrence, Osi, Williams, and Parsons

I dont need that man to register ANY numbers just stalemate your double team and let our guys cook
That's right! If it takes two guys to block you....it frees up an LBer to get the glory. Real men will get it.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

Good post.

Everyone understands what a 1T/Nose does. They're just not worth first-round picks. The value of that skillset is greatly overvalued by this board.

Like why do so many people think that LBers can't take on blocks? If you don't want them to do that, then just have 5 safeties on the field all the time.

Blitzen

Reaction score

Disagree. First round run stuffers and pocket pushers can live up to the first round just like Vince Wilfork. His stat lines were never dramatic, but his presence was critical for those Patriots’ defenses-and Belichick knew it (21st overall that draft).

If he is an outstanding nose tackle and the team succeeds in the playoffs with an outstanding defense, no one will care if he has 8 career sacks.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I find it amazing that there are people here that have watched football for decades and they still don't understand the position Mazi plays.
I mean what the hell guys.
Correct, it is not a glamour position , but helps the other pass rushers and Lbs will thank him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Mazi would eat up two linemen *or* collapse the pocket on 1.

That's what he was drafted for. And just a rookie. The big boys usually make significant strength gains in their first couple of years. Looks like a good pick.
I think the collapse the pocket aspect will be a work in progress.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I noticed positive talk about LBs after the game.

LBs look a lot better with a DT eating up 2 dlinemen in front of them.
That's really the way you know on a 1-tech if he's being effective. Overshown and Clark were clean to go make plays instead of an OL being able to peel off the double and go get the linebacker. Looking forward to when we have both Hankins and Mazi in there together.

Creeper

Reaction score
I thought Mazi was okay. He did some dirty work on the inside and didn't get the tackle, but allowed the tackles to happen.

One thing I love about Overshown and Harper. They get into the LOS before the free blocker can come out and get them. This is how you stop the run. Now, if we can get the outside guys to contain the edges we may have something.

Sydla

Reaction score
Now going against my own rule to not compare Smith and Carter, Jalen Carter apparently is destroying guys in camp. The Eagles had their joint practice with the Browns today and Carter apparently was giving the Browns OL fits.

I need this dude to be a training camp stud but regular season dud.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Now going against my own rule to not compare Smith and Carter, Jalen Carter apparently is destroying guys in camp. The Eagles had their joint practice with the Browns today and Carter apparently was giving the Browns OL fits.

I need this dude to be a training camp stud but regular season dud.
Lol…it’s not looking that way. He is on his way to being a true force at the position. Only thing that will stop him is his personal motivation and work ethic. If he catches Hurt’s addiction to improve, he will be one of the best with his physical tools.

That’s all I’m waiting to judge. He’s all in at the moment. I want to see how long that lasts

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Couldnt we find one of those guys later in the draft?

Mazi is going to average 2-3 tackles a game.

and 0 sacks.
No, if DLmen of Mazi's caliber were that easy to find, every team would have one. Mazi will make everybody else on the DL better, as well as our LBs. He's the kind of player our DL has needed for a long time. He clogs up the middle of the line which stops the run, he collapses the pocket when he's not double teamed, and when he is double teamed he's keeping two offensive blockers busy instead of blocking for their RB.
I watched the replay of the game and paid close attention to Mazi's performance, and for a rookie he's a beast!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In other words, he has to do something that I understand is impactful rather than be a dominant nose which I don't understand.

No. He does not. Any pass rush is a bonus.
Low bar for you. Didnt say just pass,rush,

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think the collapse the pocket aspect will be a work in progress.
He's got the strength to push the pocket now, but that push will get more effective as he develops more moves beyond it, so olinemen can't simply anchor and push back.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Mazi's only limitation right now is his get off speed which will develop as he adjusts to the speed of the game. You see that when he gets a good burst out of his stance he is very hard to move.