Video: A Positive Video on Mazi's Performance

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Now going against my own rule to not compare Smith and Carter, Jalen Carter apparently is destroying guys in camp. The Eagles had their joint practice with the Browns today and Carter apparently was giving the Browns OL fits.

I need this dude to be a training camp stud but regular season dud.
Carter was picked in the blue chip range while Smith was picked in the later 20s here most first round grades are gone. You seem intent on fulfilling your on prophecy.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Carter was picked in the blue chip range while Smith was picked in the later 20s here most first round grades are gone. You seem intent on fulfilling your on prophecy.

Showing up like a blue chipper

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
On mazi - as said in this thread. He is there to serve a purpose. Our achilles heel has been the run game, if mazi is eating up 2 blockers he's doing his job. But there will be people who cry that he doesn't have "stats". It's kind of like dlaw to me, he is an overall very good player, but people criticize him cause he doesn't have the sack numbers.

Jalen Carter - There is no denying he's a beast if he puts it together. He strikes me as a guy though that will dominate for a year or two, get all the hype and then fizzle out. Cause of his work ethic.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
This turned into the jalen carter thread. Yall always gotta find something to whine and cry about

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Showing up like a blue chipper

I know Bleeding Green used to ban fans of other NFCE teams out of hand but are there dozens of Cowboys fans over on the Eagles boards like you guys are here?

And congratulations. it looks like you replaced Hargraves. Maybe Carter can be All Pro as well. How about talking about LB, S, OG or your 2nd and 3rd round picks?

Sydla

Reaction score
This turned into the jalen carter thread. Yall always gotta find something to whine and cry about
His name came up in defense of Smith. That Carter's existence could be unfair to Smith and it would be wrong to compare the two, as they are two totally different DTs.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
His name came up in defense of Smith. That Carter's existence could be unfair to Smith and it would be wrong to compare the two, as they are two totally different DTs.
Let's the real games start. Carter is overrated.

kevm3

Reaction score
Mazi was getting double and triple teamed all game, which is what you drafted him for... and yes, it's worth spending a late 1st rounder to get that.

There's a reason Micah was jumping for joy when we got him. He's not going to pop out on stat sheets or look mind blowing in most games, but if you remember cowboys games in the past decade and a half, it was NOT fun always seeing our O-line being pushed backwards and teams running all over us or QBs having an hour to throw. Mazi taking on 2 or 3 guys will really like Micah work.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Mazi was getting double and triple teamed all game, which is what you drafted him for... and yes, it's worth spending a late 1st rounder to get that.

There's a reason Micah was jumping for joy when we got him. He's not going to pop out on stat sheets or look mind blowing in most games, but if you remember cowboys games in the past decade and a half, it was NOT fun always seeing our O-line being pushed backwards and teams running all over us or QBs having an hour to throw. Mazi taking on 2 or 3 guys will really like Micah work.
I doubt they were double teaming a rook all that often - certainly not triple teaming him

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
If Mazi is garbage i'll come back to this post .

He better be real good, if we gave up a 1st rd .

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Hes gotta do more than eat up blockers. Sorry, thats just the simple truth. He has to make plays as a first round pick.

shooting the gap, creating havoc, TFL’s, fumbles, some sacks, whatever.
To be fair, I don't think he's that kinda player. Gotta take into consideration what Quinns system asks from a NT.

Take Marinelli - he liked smaller quick guys to shoot gaps - one gap responsibilities - thats why is you notice he always had NT/DTs that had high sack numbers for that position, Henry Melton, Warren Sapp, Ratliff and Hatcher.

Look at Sapp - great sack numbers when he was with TB, he signs with Oakland and his numbers aren't the same - they asked him about that, he said that its a different system - he had 2 gap responsibilities - by the 3rd year in Oak must have changed the system cause his sack number jumped up to 10.

Now Quinn seems to like the Big Guy - hence Hankins and Mazi. If Marinelli was still here he probably doesn't get either player.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
To be fair, I don't think he's that kinda player. Gotta take into consideration what Quinns system asks from a NT.

Take Marinelli - he liked smaller quick guys to shoot gaps - one gap responsibilities - thats why is you notice he always had NT/DTs that had high sack numbers for that position, Henry Melton, Warren Sapp, Ratliff and Hatcher.

Look at Sapp - great sack numbers when he was with TB, he signs with Oakland and his numbers aren't the same - they asked him about that, he said that its a different system - he had 2 gap responsibilities - by the 3rd year in Oak must have changed the system cause his sack number jumped up to 10.

Now Quinn seems to like the Big Guy - hence Hankins and Mazi. If Marinelli was still here he probably doesn't get either player.
Lets just step back and talk about what a first round pick DT should be. Now he has to do more than occupy 2 blockers. He has to dominate the middle and push the middle back. Not in every play, but he needs to be a man among boyz.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Lets just step back and talk about what a first round pick DT should be. Now he has to do more than occupy 2 blockers. He has to dominate the middle and push the middle back. Not in every play, but he needs to be a man among boyz.
Yes agreed but it's gonna take time - nature of the position, hopefully he becomes a Poe or Wilfork.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I doubt they were double teaming a rook all that often - certainly not triple teaming him
Yes he WAS double teamed most of the time. Maybe not all, but most. And that's good. They double team guys like Mazi for a reason......because they don't dare NOT double team him. He's a beast!