A starting caliber guard will be at 50

RandyOh

Reaction score
Been saying this for months. I remember having to take on the Wynn and Hernandez crew solo on this subject. Most of them cooled off on that once they did a little more digging and saw how deep interior o linemen is in this years class. Still a few old dogs on here pushing for guard at 19 tho.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been saying this for months. I remember having to take on the Wynn and Hernandez crew solo on this subject. Most of them cooled off on that once they did a little more digging and saw how deep interior o linemen is in this years class. Still a few old dogs on here pushing for guard at 19 tho.

I'd be interested to hear your case for why a guard at #19 would be a bad idea?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
List your starting lineup as of today and then let me know what you think?

Beard (C), Martins * 2 (G), Smith and Collins at T. Fleming and Green back up Ts. Looney back up G and C. M Martin can also play C. I think they need to draft another G in the 4-5 rounds. Someone that can push for playing time but go with Martin at G. Guy was a 3rd round pick from USC so has good pedigree. Has played on lousy teams his whole career. I think he is the large body type mauler they need.

For me the draft needs are DT, LB, WR - early picks. S, G, LB mid round. Grab a gadget guy (RB or WR) late. I am hoping they land Moore, Vea, or Vander Esch with the first pick. Hurst, Miller, or Phillips with the second. Settle, Kirk / Washington, or Jewell in the 3rd. One can hope those guys are there when they pick. High level I think they need DT, WR, and LB in the first 3 rounds that make significant contribution in 2018. G is important but further down the line. IMO they need to do something with the money they save with Dez. Trade for ET or sign a quality camp cut guy or 2. Maybe they get a good G there. They don't need a star at every OL position.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Beard (C), Martins * 2 (G), Smith and Collins at T. Fleming and Green back up Ts. Looney back up G and C. M Martin can also play C. I think they need to draft another G in the 4-5 rounds. Someone that can push for playing time but go with Martin at G. Guy was a 3rd round pick from USC so has good pedigree. Has played on lousy teams his whole career. I think he is the large body type mauler they need.

Martin is a bust to this point. A reclamation project and nothing more. And his contract proves it. His "good pedigree" has gotten him on three teams within about a year's time.

So basically what we're saying is that we have no left guard as of today.

For me the draft needs are DT, LB, WR - early picks. S, G, LB mid round. Grab a gadget guy (RB or WR) late. I am hoping they land Moore, Vea, or Vander Esch with the first pick. Hurst, Miller, or Phillips with the second. Settle, Kirk / Washington, or Jewell in the 3rd. One can hope those guys are there when they pick. High level I think they need DT, WR, and LB in the first 3 rounds that make significant contribution in 2018. G is important but further down the line. IMO they need to do something with the money they save with Dez. Trade for ET or sign a quality camp cut guy or 2. Maybe they get a good G there. They don't need a star at every OL position.

They don't need a bum like Marcus Martin derailing their entire offensive line either.